Funny/Weird "part time jobs" as a young adult or while in school

BringBackFergy

On 10/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

Not especially weird but, Worked as a Toll Collector at the Peace Bridge, 2 summers.  Toll was 25 cents.  Had to separate US from Canadian quarters, and roll them too.

That was back when the Hunt Bros. were "trying to corner" the silver market.  Some US quarters were still silver, but the Canadian coins were mostly all still silver.  Some of the "old" guys used to take the silver quarters out of the rolls and replace them with the composite coins.  I was young & poor, going to college and couldn't afford to do that but I often wondered if they made anything, in doing that?

There used to be quite a rush when people were trying to make it to Ft Erie race track, for the start of the races.

I worked one summer making aluminum caps to cover wood that would rot around windows at an apartment complex. Cheap construction and every piece of aluminum had to be cut and bent to order so they would fit. This meant a LOT of scraps. Shortly after lunch on Fridays I’d gather up all the scraps in trash cans and take them to the recycle joint. I think we got 22 cents/pound for the scraps, and it was enough for beer money for the three of us every weekend. 

I was a fixture at Rudy’s Tap Room by the apartments every Friday for Happy Hour!  🍺 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Working as a security guard at a hazardous waste dump for a summer.  I was 19, and entering my sophomore year of college.  Who trusts a 19 year old with the security of anything?  Fools, that's who.  Highlights.

1. The pathology of my colleagues was fascinating.  Most of them thought they were real cops.  We were making about $5/hr (it was 1990).
  2. The team supervisor did the same exact things day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute, second after second.  The same supervisor walked with a limp; the true story is that the security guard detail used to carry guns -- until one day, during a windstorm, the door hit him in the holster, and since he kept his pistol cocked and with the safety off, the weapon discharged and he shot himself in the foot.
  3. One of the guys who fancied himself a cop bought an old NYS State Police car, installed an auxiliary light bar (in NYS it's yellow lights), and would drive like a maniac on 190.  An actual NYS State Trooper stopped this fellow, during a brief chase, at about 100mph, then had a gun pointed at this fellow.  This fellow produced his security guard badge, and asked for "professional courtesy" from the trooper.  He got none, got laughed in his face, and ended up losing his license.
  4. The same guy crashed the security guard vehicle because he was with a hooker -- whose activities caused him a distraction while driving.
  5. Since people kept leaving food out, and we were in a rural area, lots of wildlife would surround the guard shack every night.  Eventually my colleagues started trapping raccoons in the guard house, like a dozen of them, and there were raccoon prints everywhere.  On that subject, one of the guards got bitten by a raccoon as they were putting their waste in the garbage can out back (said raccoon was in the can feasting on heaven knows what).  At $5/hr, they were in debt for the shots they needed -- for ages.
  6. One of my colleagues dressed like Freddie Kreuger and hid in the bed of the security wagon.  I'm just doing my rounds, letting the other guys do their raccoon charming in the guard house, when BANG.  He starts hitting the back window of the wagon with a tire iron; I didn't even know he was there or who it was!  I flip TF out, and gun it, sending us on a wild ride through the facility.  The plant manager calls our main office, and we end up in a meeting with the security company owner.  The guy is chewing us out, and I admitted that I didn't confront the attacker.  The guy is screaming at me "WHY TF NOT?!  YOU F CLOWN!"  I calmly explained that I was only making $5/hr.  He kind of rolled his eyes and told me not to make the same mistake again.  Did I get fired?  No.  Did the other "officer" get fired?  No.  Crazy.  Simply crazy.
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 10/6/2022 at 10:18 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

One of my first jobs was being a janitor at the Broadway Market parking garage. It was my job to shoo the winos out of the stairwells and clean up their pee and puke.

Good times in America.

17 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Working as a security guard at a hazardous waste dump for a summer.  I was 19, and entering my sophomore year of college.  Who trusts a 19 year old with the security of anything?  Fools, that's who.  Highlights.

1. The pathology of my colleagues was fascinating.  Most of them thought they were real cops.  We were making about $5/hr (it was 1990).
  2. The team supervisor did the same exact things day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute, second after second.  The same supervisor walked with a limp; the true story is that the security guard detail used to carry guns -- until one day, during a windstorm, the door hit him in the holster, and since he kept his pistol cocked and with the safety off, the weapon discharged and he shot himself in the foot.
  3. One of the guys who fancied himself a cop bought an old NYS State Police car, installed an auxiliary light bar (in NYS it's yellow lights), and would drive like a maniac on 190.  An actual NYS State Trooper stopped this fellow, during a brief chase, at about 100mph, then had a gun pointed at this fellow.  This fellow produced his security guard badge, and asked for "professional courtesy" from the trooper.  He got none, got laughed in his face, and ended up losing his license.
  4. The same guy crashed the security guard vehicle because he was with a hooker -- whose activities caused him a distraction while driving.
  5. Since people kept leaving food out, and we were in a rural area, lots of wildlife would surround the guard shack every night.  Eventually my colleagues started trapping raccoons in the guard house, like a dozen of them, and there were raccoon prints everywhere.  On that subject, one of the guards got bitten by a raccoon as they were putting their waste in the garbage can out back (said raccoon was in the can feasting on heaven knows what).  At $5/hr, they were in debt for the shots they needed -- for ages.
  6. One of my colleagues dressed like Freddie Kreuger and hid in the bed of the security wagon.  I'm just doing my rounds, letting the other guys do their raccoon charming in the guard house, when BANG.  He starts hitting the back window of the wagon with a tire iron; I didn't even know he was there or who it was!  I flip TF out, and gun it, sending us on a wild ride through the facility.  The plant manager calls our main office, and we end up in a meeting with the security company owner.  The guy is chewing us out, and I admitted that I didn't confront the attacker.  The guy is screaming at me "WHY TF NOT?!  YOU F CLOWN!"  I calmly explained that I was only making $5/hr.  He kind of rolled his eyes and told me not to make the same mistake again.  Did I get fired?  No.  Did the other "officer" get fired?  No.  Crazy.  Simply crazy.

This is a screenplay waiting to be written.  Get on it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.