The most amazing thing ever in sports

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honorable mentions to the miracle on ice, PeteSampras cramping and barfing during a US Open 5thset tiebreaker then ripping off 120mph 2ndserves to win the Open, DHasek's 72save tripleOT playoff shutout of the NJDevils, the comeback game and MLemieux scoring his last goal in Pburgh(before his retirement w/ lymphoma) w/ 66seconds left in a p'off gmae vs the Flyers; for 10minutes straight the loudest building I have ever been in.

But for pure amazement I've gotta go with a high school football game. It was a Texas state championship game about 15 years ago with the craziest ending I've ever seen.

Team A has just scored to take about a 20 point lead with only a couple minutes left in these kids' championship game and they're partying all over the stadium. They kick it off and TeamB runs it back for a score; no biggie as TeamA is still up doubledigits and getting the ball back with hardly any time left. TeamB recovers their onside kick and makes a whole bunch of plays in about a minute to actually get all the way down the field and score again. TeamB then recovers another onside kick with like less than a minute left and somehow with no timeouts make a bunch more crazy plays and score yet another touchdown with just a few seconds left to erase a 20pt deficit in the last 2minutes of a championship game. :D

As crazy as all that was, the jaw-dropping is not complete until TeamB kicks off and Team A proceeds to return it for a score on the very next and very last play to steal back a game they had just had stolen from them! :blink:

There were tens of thousands of people in that place and every one of them looked like Thomas Hill after Leatner dropped that 2OT turnaround on Kentucky.

I've never seen or heard anything about it since and kind of wonder if anybody else remembers seeing it. I'd love to have my memory of it cleaned up if any of y'all know more or have a better recollection.

Cya

My entry is far from the most impressive from an accomplishment point of view, but from an odds perspective, I think it is hard to top.

In the late 70s I went to a game at Yankee Stadium in which Bump Wills and Toby Harrah hit back to back home runs on consecutive pitches. Oh yeah, they were BOTH inside the park home runs. Think about those odds.

But for pure amazement I've gotta go with a high school football game. It was a Texas state championship game about 15 years ago with the craziest ending I've ever seen.

Team A has just scored to take about a 20 point lead with only a couple minutes left in these kids' championship game and they're partying all over the stadium. They kick it off and TeamB runs it back for a score; no biggie as TeamA is still up doubledigits and getting the ball back with hardly any time left. TeamB recovers their onside kick and makes a whole bunch of plays in about a minute to actually get all the way down the field and score again. TeamB then recovers another onside kick with like less than a minute left and somehow with no timeouts make a bunch more crazy plays and score yet another touchdown with just a few seconds left to erase a 20pt deficit in the last 2minutes of a championship game. :D

As crazy as all that was, the jaw-dropping is not complete until TeamB kicks off and Team A proceeds to return it for a score on the very next and very last play to steal back a game they had just had stolen from them!  :blink: 

There were tens of thousands of people in that place and every one of them looked like Thomas Hill after Leatner dropped that 2OT turnaround on Kentucky.

I've never seen or heard anything about it since and kind of wonder if anybody else remembers seeing it. I'd love to have my memory of it cleaned up if any of y'all know more or have a better recollection.

Cya

337248[/snapback]

Saw that on Sportscenter a dozen times. I was laughing my ass off at the radio announcer who was going insane. That was truly amazing. And your description was pretty much how I recall it.

More Wilt. 20,000 women. :D

337259[/snapback]

I beleive the total was 10,000 women. I heard a funny Dick Schaap story the other day. Dick went up to Wilt and said "Wilt- between you and I we have slept with 10,002 women. Wilt said- "Dick- that book came out a few years ago" :blink:

What is yours?

336856[/snapback]

I have a couple...

Oscar Robertson averaging a triple double for an entire season.

And Jim Brown never being tackled for a loss.

Also Jim Brown with a 9-year career yard per carry avg. of 5.2

OJ Simpson's 6.0 yard per carry in 1973

I also agree with Kelly that Pistol Pete's single season scoring avg, is pretty awesome!

And Jim Brown never being tackled for a loss.

337397[/snapback]

I never heard this before. Jim Brown never in his career was tackled for a loss? That is the most amazing feat I have ever heard if true

I never heard this before.  Jim Brown never in his career was tackled for a loss?  That is the most amazing feat I have ever heard if true

337399[/snapback]

I must say that i cannot say that without a doubt, but i have read it in Football "history" books more than once. i will look to confirm.

Would that have been a called "ball" by the ump?  I remember seeing a sports bloopers/amazing plays show and that was in their "top ten."

337401[/snapback]

Honestly...I have no idea. I've never found out what they called that pitch. I would guess that, along the lines of a hit that hits an obstacle still being in play, a pitch that hits a bird and doesn't make it through the strike zone would be a ball...but again, I'm just guessing. Does anyone actually know?

My entry is far from the most impressive from an accomplishment point of view, but from an odds perspective, I think it is hard to top.

In the late 70s I went to a game at Yankee Stadium in which Bump Wills and Toby Harrah hit back to back home runs on consecutive pitches.  Oh yeah, they were BOTH inside the park home runs.  Think about those odds.

337273[/snapback]

Come on, this does not impress anyone? How many inside the parkers are hit in a baseball season? (7 or 8?) How many pitches a game? (250-300?) How many games in a major league season (2430).

2430* 250= 607,500 pitches per season (8/607,500)*(8/607,500)= .00000000017342 or 1 in 5,766,503,906 odds that consecutive pitches will be hit for back to back inside-the-parkers. Thems long odds (personally, I would have preferred hitting the lottery, but this will have to do).

Scroll to Aug 27 1977

hmmm, a few things come to mind...

the Great One's 92 Goals in a single season...last season, no one topped 50...

Cy's 511 career wins...

The Harvey Haddix ballgame where both pitchers threw no-no's into the 10th...(cant believe no one mentioned this before)...

I never heard this before. Jim Brown never in his career was tackled for a loss? That is the most amazing feat I have ever heard if true

I'm pretty sure I've seen film of JimBrown getting busted in the backfield.

The Harvey Haddix ballgame where both pitchers threw no-no's into the 10th...(cant believe no one mentioned this before)...

338024[/snapback]

Actually, it was 12 perfect innings and the opposing pitcher did pitch all 13 innings but gave up 12 hits.

May 26, 1959: In a singular performance, Harvey Haddix of the Pirates pitches a perfect game against Milwaukee for 12 innings, only to lose in the 13th. Felix Mantilla opens the last inning by reaching base on an error. A sacrifice and an intentional walk to Hank Aaron brings up Joe Adcock, who hits one out of the park in right-CF for an apparent 3–0 victory. Aaron pulls a "Merkle," leaving the field, and Adcock passes him on the basepaths. Both are called out as Mantilla scores. Lew Burdette goes all 13 innings for his 8th win, scattering 12 hits. As a consequence of the baserunning in the 13th, the Braves leave an National League-record one runner on base. Haddix's gem makes him the 9th pitcher to lose a no-hitter in extra innings; A combined effort of three Reds pitcher, on May 26, 1956, was the last. Making Haddix's effort even more remarkable is the fact that the Braves hitter knew what was coming. In 1993, Bob Buhl admitted that the Braves pitchers were stealing the signs from Smoky Burgess, who could not crouch down all the way. They would place a towel on the bullpen fence in such a way to signal fastball or breaking ball.

Honestly...I have no idea.  I've never found out what they called that pitch.  I would guess that, along the lines of a hit that hits an obstacle still being in play, a pitch that hits a bird and doesn't make it through the strike zone would be a ball...but again, I'm just guessing.  Does anyone actually know?

337427[/snapback]

Apparently the Ump. called it a "no pitch". I found this on MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/official_info/umpires/feature.jsp?feature=qa1)

Question: Can you tell me what was called when Randy Johnson hit the dove with the ball (i.e. ball, dead ball, no pitch, or foul)?

-- L. Crowder

Answer: That bizarre play is not covered in the Official Rules. When a situation is not covered, Rule 9.01© comes into play. That rule gives the umpire authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in the Rules. In such instances the umpire is instructed to use "common sense and fair play." In this game, the umpires called it no pitch, as this was the fairest thing to do. As a side-note, MLB Regulations do cover a batted or thrown ball (but not a pitched ball) touching an animal: "If a batted or thrown ball strikes a bird or other animal on the playing field, consider the ball alive and in play, the same as if it had not touched the bird or animal."

you mean the game when all the fans left, and tried to "come back" into the stadium?

That's funny.

Yep - I actually had to request a clip from NFL films of the 4 guys dressed as nuns. It took two years to get it. There was a quick span that showed my twin daughters sitting next to the nuns. My daughter still has the clip to "prove" that we didn't leave.

Did I say sitting? Nope, by that time we were standing, yelling, and crying with sheer joy.