Last night was a dominant win. But there was one obvious weak link holding us back... Zach Moss (lead the team in touches)

BFLO

These NFL coaches and players can clearly see that Moss is lacking. His usage in game 1 was fine — he kept the good players from taking hits. In a close game, he’s not going to lead the team in touches. What the plan is for Moss in the future, I don’t know. But believe me, nobody has any delusions of him being an impact player. 

All this Moss over Singletary stuff like it was a schemed gameplan is nothing but speculation.

I'll speculate.  I would imagine with all 3 RBs dressing and Dorsey being a new OC that all were going to get touches.

Singletary was going to start and probably was going to get the most snaps.  Lo and behold he did.  He got just under 60% of them.

I'm fairly certain a number of Moss's snaps (37%) would have gone to Cook (5%) but the young man had a rough start.

Gilliam had 32% of snaps as the FB.  When he went down, I do think that changed some of the personnel decisions.

That is a lot more than his average of 14% last year.  Hope he's OK going forward.

Running plays can be RPOs a lot of times and how many catches a RB receives due to check downs are not "game planned".

The final statistics can lead to conclusions by some but can also not be factual.  I don't see some radical change in what I plan

to see this year.  Devin will get the lion's share of snaps and Josh won't run as much as he did yesterday.

Only question I have is which RB gets the 2nd amount.  I believe it will ultimately be Cook.

Speculation over.

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

If this is indeed his final season with the bills he should definitely be getting the bulk of the snaps to show what he could do, but I see why they brought back moss, both of them could block for Allen just like this, where a rookie RB like cook for example would get blown up

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Most of plays were supposed to go to the rookie  but he got put in time out. Godspeed, Jimmy Cook. 

Great point Yolo , wonder which season we will see cook again!?     Lol!  You would have thought someone like his position coach or his brother would have clued him in , sent him a registered letter or whatever ( candy gram?) that if you put the ball on the ground there is a doghouse with chains you may never escape!  Devin seemed to be doing ok so why switch those touches to moss seems to be a reach. Dorsey called a pretty flawless game in his first real action!, but those numbers on moss are a little concerning.   What are your thoughts on the inactive players, any reason to change things as crowder / McKenzie look competent, yet I don’t get having Lawson inactive and I’m not sure he will remain happy with that as an ongoing role?  I think cook will be worked with during this time before Tennessee, but I coikd see Lawson asking for a trade with many more inactive situations    What do you think ? 

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Do they? 

I think it's inexcusable to have Moss out-touch Singletary last night. 

Riding the hot hand is not a complicated philosophy, but it seems to elude McDermott. 

It is inexcusable to go with a game plan that puts up 31 on the defending SB champs? So if Singletary got all the carries but hurt at the end of game due to being tired that would be better? The plan worked very well and except for his fumble, which was terrible, he was fine.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

All this Moss over Singletary stuff like it was a schemed gameplan is nothing but speculation.

I'll speculate.  I would imagine with all 3 RBs dressing and Dorsey being a new OC that all were going to get touches.

Singletary was going to start and probably was going to get the most snaps.  Lo and behold he did.  He got just under 60% of them.

I'm fairly certain a number of Moss's snaps (37%) would have gone to Cook (5%) but the young man had a rough start.

Gilliam had 32% of snaps as the FB.  When he went down, I do think that changed some of the personnel decisions.

That is a lot more than his average of 14% last year.  Hope he's OK going forward.

Running plays can be RPOs a lot of times and how many catches a RB receives due to check downs are not "game planned".

The final statistics can lead to conclusions by some but can also not be factual.  I don't see some radical change in what I plan

to see this year.  Devin will get the lion's share of snaps and Josh won't run as much as he did yesterday.

Only question I have is which RB gets the 2nd amount.  I believe it will ultimately be Cook.

Speculation over.

Yep to pretty much all of this.  Moss is out on a bunch of snaps for blitz pickup - they didn't blitz so he is the escape valve.  Allen took the check down several times to prevent a sack, or other mistake like a turnover.  

7 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Great point Yolo , wonder which season we will see cook again!?     Lol!  You would have thought someone like his position coach or his brother would have clued him in , sent him a registered letter or whatever ( candy gram?) that if you put the ball on the ground there is a doghouse with chains you may never escape!  Devin seemed to be doing ok so why switch those touches to moss seems to be a reach. Dorsey called a pretty flawless game in his first real action!, but those numbers on moss are a little concerning.   What are your thoughts on the inactive players, any reason to change things as crowder / McKenzie look competent, yet I don’t get having Lawson inactive and I’m not sure he will remain happy with that as an ongoing role?  I think cook will be worked with during this time before Tennessee, but I coikd see Lawson asking for a trade with many more inactive situations    What do you think ? 

Singletary out snapped Moss in this game, moss just happened to get a bunch of assorted check downs for whatever reason.  Fumble is annoying.  Garbage time or not, don't put the ball on the turf.  Especially when you're supposed to be the ball security guy of the group.  

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

These NFL coaches and players can clearly see that Moss is lacking. His usage in game 1 was fine — he kept the good players from taking hits. In a close game, he’s not going to lead the team in touches. What the plan is for Moss in the future, I don’t know. But believe me, nobody has any delusions of him being an impact player. 

He can catch, block, and run people over.  He will never be an RB1, but he's the younger version of - Tolbert, Ivory, Gore, etc.  He is a bull there to impose physicality on the opposition.  He's never really had ball security issues so i look at it a bit as an isolated thing that he'll need to make sure he cleans up. 

When you watch his bills highlights, pretty much every one ends up with him running someone over.  Be it meeting them in the hole and driving his way into the end zone, or just down field running directly at the tackler to try and hit them.  

4 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Yep to pretty much all of this.  Moss is out on a bunch of snaps for blitz pickup - they didn't blitz so he is the escape valve.  Allen took the check down several times to prevent a sack, or other mistake like a turnover. 

Just rewatched the game.  A lot of the check downs to Moss was when he was surrounded by D.  

On one play he caught the ball 4 yards behind the LOS surrounded and managed to get a 3-yard gain all on his own.

I'm not saying Moss is better than Devin but this talk that he is a detriment to the team is just crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.