Cutdown/Waived/Claimed - History - 2022 Bills PS

ColoradoBills

The NFL is ready for cutdown to 53 this week.  I thought it would be good to do a history for the last 4 years of how many waived players

got claimed the day after cutdown.  Also, to speculate what Bills players may get claimed.  At this time of year some vets also get cut but outright

sign with other NFL teams (a player like Duke Johnson comes to mind).  After the main rosters are completed, there are some more waived players

who get claimed as teams tweak their rosters probably due to the teams picking up some waived players.

Here is the total number of players claimed the day after cutdown:  Note:  Spotrac numbers and I will link the years below.

2021 - 27 total

2020 - 16 (the low number has to have a Covid influence and maybe reflects the expanded PS roster size)

2019 - 37 total

2018 - 40 total

I find the number of claimed players to be relatively low, but one would imagine that the better roster teams lose more players getting claimed

than the poor roster teams (who no doubt pick up a lot more of these players).

The Bills have had a pretty good PS the last few years and also have had players plucked by other teams.

With Daboll and others no doubt looking at teams like the Bills, I'm hoping the Bills can field another good PS.

I'll post in a reply as to some of the Bills "perspective" cuts who may get claimed this week.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2021/claimed/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2020/claimed/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2019/claimed/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2018/claimed/

Note:  It shows the whole season, so you need to scroll down to the "day after" cutdown to see players.

A list of speculated cuts who have a chance of being claimed by another team.

Please stay away Daboll, LOL.

Brandon Bryant

Nick McCloud (got claimed off OS last year by CIN)

Joe Gilles-Harris

Isaiah Hodgins

Mike Love

Josh Thomas

Raheem Blackshear

Some vet cuts who could sign with other teams:

Jake Kumerow

Duke Johnson

Bobby Hart

Does anyone have any others?  Losing a few of these players would really weaken the PS and it could be that Beane will be

having to bring it a lot more guys for workouts than he has in the past.

10 minutes ago, Georgie said:

I never worry about our "cuts" getting signed by other teams. If they aren't good enough to make the Bills 53,well,good luck to them.

By Tuesday ,there will be another 800 free agents out there and the Bills will be shopping,too.

There is a number of guys who are almost "coin tosses" as to whether they make the team or get cut.  The Bills history has been signing

these guys to the PS with some reliability they are available.  Some or more than normal may get claimed.

Free agents can sign with whomever they want.  The waived guys have no choice where they go if claimed.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

A list of speculated cuts who have a chance of being claimed by another team.

Please stay away Daboll, LOL.

Brandon Bryant

Nick McCloud (got claimed off OS last year by CIN)

Joe Gilles-Harris

Isaiah Hodgins

Mike Love

Josh Thomas

Raheem Blackshear

Some vet cuts who could sign with other teams:

Jake Kumerow

Duke Johnson

Bobby Hart

Does anyone have any others?  Losing a few of these players would really weaken the PS and it could be that Beane will be

having to bring it a lot more guys for workouts than he has in the past.

I can't see Hodgins on that list.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I had the Giants radio postgame show on a few minutes ago & the guy said he expects the Giants to cut down to the mid-high 40s so they can pick up guys off waivers.  

I don't think teams do that, they get down to 53 and then cut additionally as needed right?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I don't think teams do that, they get down to 53 and then cut additionally as needed right?

I think GM’s probably have a pretty good sense of players that will be coming available by now.  

Not crazy to think Daboll/Schoen have a handful of targets in mind.  

28 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

I can't see Hodgins on that list.

Mainly put there for those who think he isn't going to make the 53.  I think he does and if he doesn't, he gets claimed.

I kind of did this for posters to discuss who cut and who picked up.

17 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Right.  They keep most and cut if they make moves.  They get a day to adjust the roster.  

Giants are in a good waiver spot at 5.

Jags

Lions

Texans

Jets

Giants

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think GM’s probably have a pretty good sense of players that will be coming available by now.  

Not crazy to think Daboll/Schoen have a handful of targets in mind.  

Probably one of the Brett punters at Tennessee.  The Titans won't keep both of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.