Bocce's Pizza sauce, what is the secret?

I love Bocce's pizza, I am worse than a crack addict for that stuff. I buy loads of it whenever I am back in town. What makes it special, inmho, is the sauce. It has a weird, sweet, tart, thick sauce. Anyone know the secret?

I love Bocce's pizza, I am worse than a crack addict for that stuff.  I buy loads of it whenever I am back in town.  What makes it special, inmho, is the sauce.  It has a weird, sweet, tart, thick sauce.  Anyone know the secret?

334015[/snapback]

I don't know the secret. I live in Florida and I have it FedEx'd to me several times a year. They half-bake it and send it overnight. When I finish it off in the home oven at 550 degrees just the smell of it in the kitchen is a delight.

I don't know the secret.  I live in Florida and I have it FedEx'd to me several times a year.  They half-bake it and send it overnight.  When I finish it off in the home oven at 550 degrees just the smell of it in the kitchen is a delight.

334024[/snapback]

You buy FedEx'd pizza? ;)

I love Bocce's pizza, I am worse than a crack addict for that stuff.  I buy loads of it whenever I am back in town.  What makes it special, inmho, is the sauce.  It has a weird, sweet, tart, thick sauce.  Anyone know the secret?

334015[/snapback]

Tomato paste

Vegetable oil

Water

Salt

Sugar

Oregano

Garlic powder

But don't ask me the relative ratios of each. I've never seen it made in amounts smaller than 55 gallons...

I've never understood the fascination with Bocce's pizza. I've always thought their pizza was below average. I think it's more homesickness of those who moved away than the taste, because it ain't that good.

Personally, I liked the old Picos in Tonawanda a lot better than Bocce. They closed around 1990 and someone else moved in & changed the name. Back when I was living in Kenmore, a Bills road game always started with a Pico's pizza, never a Bocce.

Does anyone remember Pizza Junction ? One of their locations was on Deleware in Tonawanda. All their food was double the normal size.

The wings were the size of doorknobs.

Pizzas were twice as thick with cheese and ingredients

Subs - You could only eat half. They weighed 2 pounds.

Taste ? 2nd to none.

I literally had 3 distraught friends call me the day they closed. They were devestated. ;)

Does anyone remember Pizza Junction ? One of their locations was on Deleware in Tonawanda. All their food was double the normal size.

Taste ? 2nd to none.

I literally had 3 distraught friends call me the day they closed. They were devestated.  :)

334052[/snapback]

Doorknob-sized wings...what animal do you suppose they come from? ;)

I used to like the pizza sold by Avenue, on Hertel on the corner of Tennyson.

Taste ? 2nd to none.

I literally had 3 distraught friends call me the day they closed. They were devestated.  :)

334052[/snapback]

There is a Pizza Junction in North Tonawanda on Erie. I never had wings or subs from them but a normal cheese pizza will bind you up for about 3 days. Never order double cheese. ;)

From Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle

Burger Shack Employee: Wise choice. You guys might have wanted to stay away from our special sauce tonight. Me and Pookie, we added a secret ingredient. I'll give you a hint. It's semen.

[bursts out laughing]

Harold: [smirks] Semen.

Burger Shack Employee: Animal semen.

just kidding...Bocce's pizza and wings are something I grab everytime I go back to Buffalo

There is a Pizza Junction in North Tonawanda on Erie.  I never had wings or subs from them but a normal cheese pizza will bind you up for about 3 days.  Never order double cheese. ;)

334068[/snapback]

I worked for a German company for several years, and the German nationals felt that Americans would eat manure it there was enough cheese piled on it. They were correct.

I worked for a German company for several years, and the German nationals felt that Americans would eat manure it there was enough cheese piled on it. They were correct.

334083[/snapback]

Germans would know. They have chefs on pretty much the same level as the Irish. I firmly believe that's the reason they started the world wars. Needed some decent appetizers to go with Perminator.

Germans would know.  They have chefs on pretty much the same level as the Irish.  I firmly believe that's the reason they started the world wars.  Needed some decent appetizers to go with Perminator.

334089[/snapback]

No argument here. My mostly German family raised me on boiled cabbage, potatoe soup, and turnips. Beets were a real treat. I couldn't wait for Christmas to roll around so I could have fruitcake. Don't you ever tell me about your sad childhood. ;)

As a guy that used to work there, the sauce recipe quoted above is about right.

The "secret", so to speak, is the stone oven they use. The stones, plus the dough, kick out that distinct flavor that only is Bocce's. The pepperoni is Margarhita's, and the cheese is Sorrento. I totally remember Pizza Junction, they loaded stuff up a bit, which pending on my mood, was either great or over the top.

Hope that answered you.

You buy FedEx'd pizza? ;)

334025[/snapback]

Yep. It's great.

I also buy FedEx'd Crab Cakes from Timbuktu in Maryland. They are the best I've ever had.

I have recently had to knock off all dairy to get my cholesterol down. So I'm cold turkey on cheese, ice cream, yada yada for the next two months. I hate it.

334015[/snapback]

It's made from PEOPLE...no wait, that's Soylent Green.

PTR