Close Encounters of the Music Kind

Chef Jim

Back in 1979 or 80 me and a buddy were lingering after a Blackfoot show at the old Triangle Theater in Rochester, when the singer/guitarist Rickey Medlocke walked up to us and started talking to us. Asking if we liked the show, our favorite songs etc... after a few minutes others saw him and surrounded him. He was very cool with everybody and seemed to enjoy the fans. Rickey Medlocke Has been playing guitar in Lynyrd Skynyrd since 1996.

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, muppy said:

lol yeah well I don't blame him for trying leo.  ***failure gong*** poor Gary. Another one bites the dust. You'd have thought he'd have gotten it after the first rebuke.

Thinking with the wrong head INDEED. this was their BIG Hit . Yep that's him.  Oh  GARY come HITHER...said muppy NEVER haha-m

I have to acknowledge your grace and class in this scenario, Mup. 

That said, have you ever reimagined your life had you decided to have a tasteful evening of flirtation, fun, and boundaries at the Batavia Holiday Inn way back when?  

Who knows, you could have been Mrs. Muppy Lewis-Playboy had you played your cards right!  Based on his Wiki page, you and Mr. Playboy would currently make your home in Rush, NY.   (Disclaimer:  I briefly flirted with the idea of editing his Wiki page to include a spousal entry as noted above.  However, as you know, I’m technologically ambivalent and haven’t yet added an avatar in spite of your kind offer to assist.  It all looked very complicated.)

13 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I have to acknowledge your grace and class in this scenario, Mup. 

That said, have you ever reimagined your life had you decided to have a tasteful evening of flirtation, fun, and boundaries at the Batavia Holiday Inn way back when?  

Who knows, you could have been Mrs. Muppy Lewis-Playboy had you played your cards right!  Based on his Wiki page, you and Mr. Playboy would currently make your home in Rush, NY.   (Disclaimer:  I briefly flirted with the idea of editing his Wiki page to include a spousal entry as noted above.  However, as you know, I’m technologically ambivalent and haven’t yet added an avatar in spite of your kind offer to assist.  It all looked very complicated.)

lol  you my friend are kookoo bananas. That guy was a derpy conceited wouldn't take no for an answer bleep.  I couldnt have been less attracted to a person. Guys love that though. It's like honey to a bee.Tell them you aren't interested and it is ON you are now a challenge.  yeah whatever. Learn to live with disappointment u *****  

leo mi amigo technologically ambivalent is so poor an excuse for not posting an avatar I am Deeply disappointed in you.

**Inserts thumbs into my ears and wiggles my fingers at you* 😜 I'll get my way eventually. I almost always do hahahaaa

m

22 minutes ago, muppy said:

lol  you my friend are kookoo bananas. That guy was a derpy conceited wouldn't take no for an answer bleep.  I couldnt have been less attracted to a person. Guys love that though. It's like honey to a bee.Tell them you aren't interested and it is ON you are now a challenge.  yeah whatever. Learn to live with disappointment u *****  

leo mi amigo technologically ambivalent is so poor an excuse for not posting an avatar I am Deeply disappointed in you.

**Inserts thumbs into my ears and wiggles my fingers at you* 😜 I'll get my way eventually. I almost always do hahahaaa

m

Based on his ability to close, relative to mine back in the day, I so could have been a Playboy! 

🤣

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I should of put this in my other post but I went to the same high school, though about 10 years later and never met him, as Lou Grammatico, later shortened to Lou Gramm, the singer from Foreigner.

well if we are going there Ive got a cool one from my kids high school. They went to the same high school here in socal as Adam Lambert. They shared theater/drama teachers. Which makes perfect sense that Adam Lambert was a theater kid.

OH and this is not music but my daughter actually attended high school in choir and theater with Kelly Marie Trans (the Rose Tico Asian character in the Star Wars series.)  I believe she was class of 2006.  Back then she didnt use her middle name that was added later to her career

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2022 at 4:53 AM, muppy said:

as soon as I read Bonnie Raitt my heart froze.  I have never had personal contact with her. The closest i came was in Denver CO. She was playing a gig in of all places downtown Denver for a street music festival. It was the end of her set and the crowd had thinned down quite a bit. I was center in front of her dancing In my absolute Glory. I LOVE HER I love everything about her. I have been a fan of hers since the 70's. And have seen her the most times of any artist Period. Which says a Lot.

I have to google and see if she has a biography or documentary about she and her life. Having that happenstance convo with Ian McLagan was a welcome respite from touring and being on the road away from home and friends for him too. Good eye for Ian there that sounds like it was an awesome experience 🙂

I like to think I've been a breath of inspiration to Ms. Raitt over these past many years.  I was there on the closing night of Sweetwater in Mill Valley, when as chance would have us locked together, Bonnie Raitt needed to use the restroom, and I was helplessly stuck in her way in a packed house.  We looked, simultaneously adoringly and helplessly into each others' eyes, shared inquisitive yet hopeful breaths, and somehow moved humanity with our mutual understandingness.  She found the bathroom she'd been seeking, and I believe she's been rocking the world ever since. 

• Like (+1) 1

76, in School at SUNY Brockport, going to see Genesis at the Century Theater, first US show with Phil Collins as singer. Waiting to pull into a parking lot, and a car pulls up  and parks on the street by the curb, someone gets out and hits my car with the door they were opening. I wasn't hard so I didn't really look. One of my college roommates who was in the car, looked and said as they crossed the street, hey that's Mike Rutherford. Sure enough it was. After the show we hang out across the street from the back entrance where they parked hoping to see them when they come out. There was staff outside the door and after a while they started looking at us funny so we decided to leave. Before we did I put a note under the wiper blade. I said that Mike Rutherford dented my car when he opened the door and as compensation I would accept a pair of Phil Collin's drum sticks. As we walked away we watched and one of the guys took the note and brought it back over to the theatre. About a week later I got a letter with no return address. The attached was inside.

Genesis Placemat.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

I've never met her, but Natalie Merchant and I were born in the same hospital one day apart. My mom knew her mom.

My second cousin John Lombardo was an on-and-off member of 10,000 Maniacs.

In the late '60s, Rick Nielsen attended a community college in Rockford IL; he dropped out a few classes shy of graduating. In '89 I started teaching there and in 2003, the college gave Rick "credit for life experience" and awarded him an Associate's degree. He gave the commencement address at the graduation ceremony, after which I met him and got a photo with him. Seemed like a nice enough guy. He still lives in Rockford, and he does a lot for the community. A friend of mine knew him in high school and still talks to him when they run into each other at the store.

• Like (+1) 2

this is a fun summertime laid back waiting for football season thread. Being that I have 2 children that are both professionals in music (One rock the other cabaret) I have schmoozed with a lot of musicians and industry types at events and back stage. I'll post this because it is a cool vantage point, cool light show, and I was there. 

Cults were on tour with a band called "Foster the People" this was their big hit.  Both bands traveled in full size touring busses including drivers and this was one US tour they traveled together.  Mark Foster the lead singer was easy to talk to nice guy. The filmer of this youtube was Cults lead singer Madelines uncle. This was a hometown show there were a lot of family present that night. 

My best one and one I know I will never forget happened when I was a Junior in college.

A local radio station had a contest for two tickets including backstage passes to the Iron Maiden concert for that Saturday night(As I recall this was on the Monday before). First caller to get through and correctly name 5 straight rock songs by listening would get the tickets. Long story short I was one lucky mofo lol, got through first, and ended up winning the contest. To say I was already a huge Maiden fan would be an understatement. A lot of my friends were more into Eminem type stuff or more alternative bands like Green Day. I was and have always been a metal guy.

The concert of course was great as always(Name me a better rock vocalist than Bruce Dickinson...I'll wait). When it was over, my roommate and I walked to the back, were let in, and a few minutes later we saw Dave Murray talking to a guy we didn't know. Their manager maybe? Anyway, my friend and I were nervous as hell so didn't immediately go over and say hey. Also, and I love Dave lol, Bruce was who we really wanted to see. Well a few minutes more after that we got our wish. We both felt like Mike Myers and Dana Carvey from Wayne's World(Ya'll know the scene) lol but he sensed that and got us to relax.

Only talked with him for a few minutes, then took a picture, but it was and still is one of the best nights of my life. He and the other members we talked too were really cool guys.

Going to a concert of theirs in Greensboro this October(Will be my 14th Maiden concert) and I am as excited as ever.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.