Recap of Fourth Jan 6 Hearing

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

I think this is a somewhat helpful analogy. I would like you to consider the following addition:

They bounce ideas around and the attorney tells them one of the ideas is illegal. They keep pushing on it and the lawyer continues to respond that it is illegal and they have no basis for it. Afterwards, members of the board take actions pursuant to that idea they had been told was illegal.

What happens then?

Good question. As I said it’s only somewhat analogous because being a Board they have to vote in the majority before taking any action. If you look at a School Board agenda it includes a Consent Agenda and Action Agenda. The specific analogy I think you’re asking about is what happens if a single board member attempts to convince District staff not to listen to Counsel, but unilaterally take action. Once again, nobody goes to jail. That Board member is simply told to ‘knock it off’. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Good question. As I said it’s only somewhat analogous because being a Board they have to vote in the majority before taking any action. If you look at a School Board agenda it includes a Consent Agenda and Action Agenda. The specific analogy I think you’re asking about is what happens if a single board member attempts to convince District staff not to listen to Counsel, but unilaterally take action. Once again, nobody goes to jail. That Board member is simply told to ‘knock it off’. 

Yeah, I think this is where the analogy breaks down a bit, but I wanted to illustrate that what we have seen is different from a spit-balling meeting. Executive privilege exists for a reason and the president and his advisors absolutely should be free to throw out crazy scenarios as part of a discussion without fear of repercussions.

But what we are seeing here is that the president was told repeatedly that a course of action he wished to take was illegal, and yet he and a handful of people (who also knew it was illegal) still pursued those actions anyway. They took actions to further a scheme that they had been repeatedly informed was illegal. And I think that is different from just tossing ideas around.

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Yeah, I think this is where the analogy breaks down a bit, but I wanted to illustrate that what we have seen is different from a spit-balling meeting. Executive privilege exists for a reason and the president and his advisors absolutely should be free to throw out crazy scenarios as part of a discussion without fear of repercussions.

But what we are seeing here is that the president was told repeatedly that a course of action he wished to take was illegal, and yet he and a handful of people (who also knew it was illegal) still pursued those actions anyway. They took actions to further a scheme that they had been repeatedly informed was illegal. And I think that is different from just tossing ideas around.

Again…good points…but the remedy is to recall a board member or in the case of the superintendent of schools (the executive branch) is to fire him/her….which is the result in the case of the 2020 election. Congress certified the results and Biden is the President. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Again…good points…but the remedy is to recall a board member or in the case of the superintendent of schools (the executive branch) is to fire him/her….which is the result in the case of the 2020 election. Congress certified the results and Biden is the President. 

It is clear that we cannot rely on presidential impeachments as an enforcement mechanism since they just devolve into partisan squabbling, and I do not believe there is a law on the books that directly addresses this issue of a president acting with unlawful intent to overturn an election. A legislative remedy for this would be a good idea to come from the committee when they get to that point.

All of that being said, under current law, you could definitely build a case on 18 U.S.C. § 371 (Conspiracy to defraud the United States) against Eastman, Giuliani, and Trump from the evidence we've seen. I do not know if that will happen, or if it would lead to a conviction if there was an indictment, but yesterday's raid on Jeff Clark's home combined with what I've seen so far from today's testimony makes me think it's not off the table.

3 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

It is clear that we cannot rely on presidential impeachments as an enforcement mechanism since they just devolve into partisan squabbling, and I do not believe there is a law on the books that directly addresses this issue of a president acting with unlawful intent to overturn an election. A legislative remedy for this would be a good idea to come from the committee when they get to that point.

All of that being said, under current law, you could definitely build a case on 18 U.S.C. § 371 (Conspiracy to defraud the United States) against Eastman, Giuliani, and Trump from the evidence we've seen. I do not know if that will happen, or if it would lead to a conviction if there was an indictment, but yesterday's raid on Jeff Clark's home combined with what I've seen so far from today's testimony makes me think it's not off the table.

I guarantee it’s on the table it’s probably where you and I differ though. This committee isn’t afraid of what Trump did (paste tense). They’re trying to to make sure he’s barred from running again (future tense). I’m in the camp that believes he has no intention of running again. In fact, I hope he doesn’t. Washington is a deep deep swamp of crooks and hacks. There isn’t a single layperson who can fix it. I believe Trump tried but he was caught totally off guard as to the depth of the corruption. It’s an insiders game and they don’t want anyone shining a light on them.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DRsGhost said:

WTF is this nonsense?

Trump has absolutely broken so many permanently.

Seek help.

I can picture it now:

ANTIFA and BLM have ransacked the capitol in protest of a Trump victory which they insist was stolen without a shred of evidence.  You and BigBlitz are beside yourselves as this nothing event has been called an attempted coup by Fox News.  You plead with everyone that this "rowdy tour" of the capitol shouldn't even be investigated.  You are starting a GoFundMe for the legal defense of political prisoners who were jailed solely because they're democrats.  You light a candle every night for Sunflower Moonbeam Rainwater, the non-binary, gender fluid Antifa hero who was shot that day by jackboot thugs.  The Sabres have made the playoffs but you're too sad to watch.  

That was fun.  Now back to reality.   

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I can picture it now:

ANTIFA and BLM have ransacked the capitol in protest of a Trump victory which they insist was stolen without a shred of evidence.  You and BigBlitz are beside yourselves as this nothing event has been called an attempted coup by Fox News.  You plead with everyone that this "rowdy tour" of the capitol shouldn't even be investigated.  You are starting a GoFundMe for the legal defense of political prisoners who were jailed solely because they're democrats.  You light a candle every night for Sunflower Moonbeam Rainwater, the non-binary, gender fluid Antifa hero who was shot that day by jackboot thugs.  The Sabres have made the playoffs but you're too sad to watch.  

That was fun.  Now back to reality.   

Okay….back to actual reality. The Senate  majority leader literally encourages a mob to threaten Supreme Court Justices…and then violent protests and an actual death threat ensue. Republicans do/did what exactly? 

• 1 year later...

On 6/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, ChiGoose said:

If this was truly just a partisan witch hunt, any of these people could accept the invitation to testify and blow up the entire narrative of the Jan 6th committee. But most of them are fighting as hard as they can to avoid testifying under oath for some reason...

Maybe they did end up testifying under oath and it was deleted?

:lol:

The friggin King!

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:32 AM, BillsFanNC said:

Maybe they did end up testifying under oath and it was deleted?

:lol:

The friggin King!

A lot of bloviating and hand waving needed here King...

12 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

wow. socal deek.  where'd he go?  must be on the beach....oh, and jauronimo!

SoCal Deek seemed like a good dude. Generally engaged in good faith. Hopefully he’s found something more fun to do than spend time in this cesspool. 

• Haha (+1) 1

So for those who may not remember, The King was adamant that ALL the J6 committee transcripts of testimony under oath would be released, as promised by the committee, by the end of September 2022.

However, I was certain that there was no way in hell that would ever happen.  Because I live under a blue sky.

So I made a bet with The King, that I won and he welched on.  No surprise, par for the course.

But who would've imagined that not only would the committee fail to release the transcripts as promised according to their own timeline, but that they'd delete terabytes of their OWN evidence.

And the King spent hours glued to these sham hearings and giving us all daily "recaps" of the sham.  Great call dude!

😂

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

SoCal Deek seemed like a good dude. Generally engaged in good faith. Hopefully he’s found something more fun to do than spend time in this cesspool. 

coming straight from one of the turds.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

yup, but it's oddly compelling.  we're both here...it's like watching a wreck in a nascar race.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

I believe that SoCal left PPP not long after he coined the King nickname for chigoose. He was given this nickname precisely because he is incapable of engaging in good faith.

Useful idiots are fascinating to observe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I believe that SoCal left PPP not long after he coined the King nickname for chigoose. He was given this nickname precisely because he is incapable of engaging in good faith.

Useful idiots are fascinating to observe.

and to lose arguments to, I guess...post some more banal memes that we can try to ignore.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever