What to do in Buffalo

I took some friends from Australia and Sweden to the Albright Knox a few years back, and they really liked it and they were very impressed.

Take a downtown architecture tour and definitely hit the Darwin-Martin House. Do some research and pick a few buildings downtown and show him those. City Hall, the parkways around the city and Delaware. You need to be able to explain that the Guarantee building was one of the first skyscrapers in the world and that Kleinhans is acoustically perfect and is studied by people from all over. Know your architects. Drive by the new Bioinformatics and Hauptman center to show that new acclaimed buildingss are going up even today.

For restaurants, go to Park Lane, Hutch's and those types (stick with the proven winners).

Hit the Falls and maybe go up to Niagara on the Lake and check out some of the old vineyards for a day of wine tasting. If you want some adventure, hit the whirlpool rapids in one of those jet boats. I had no idea that existed and I went a few years ago and it was a blast.

I'd also hit a baseball game. The Japanese love baseball, thats a can't miss.

If he's younger and not a nerd, that opens up many more possibilities. Then you have the ballet, Chippewa and gambling that alone can make any man happy.

Good luck.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blue Jays have a home stand against the Nationals that weekend if Minor League ball doesn't appeal. One thing you might want to do is check into if Japanese citizens can enter Canada without a visa. When my in-laws (who are Thai) came to visit we stayed on the American side of the falls because they didn't want to go through the hassle of obtaining a Canadian visa. Just something to think about.

Where is the Wegman's I should go to?

on what street?

332809[/snapback]

Have to find a "super" Wegmans. I am sure someone local can help. They really are amazing; that was a popular stop for the out-of-towners at last year's Training Camp break. When is the last time you saw someone's jaw drop in awe upon entering a grocery store!? :blush:

If you want to take a nice day trip, go to Letchworth Park, Grand Canyon of the East. It is a nice rural drive and the trees are all starting to bloom.

Bison's are in town. That is great, he

loves baseball, and I hadn't thought of that.

332809[/snapback]

Don't forget about the Blue Jays...if he is a city person, its worth the trip to Toronto....they have some cool museums, theatre, etc. there...and of course, a major league team.

Don't forget about the Blue Jays...if he is a city person, its worth the trip to Toronto....they have some cool museums, theatre, etc. there...and of course, a major league team.

332868[/snapback]

What to do in Toronto, I will be there for a few Jays/Sox games May 25-29th. We are staying @ the Roger center/Sky dome hotel with a few suites. 4 couples going , guys get a few free night to enjoy the Canadian entertainment? Any recommendations on Night life bar with live music & good eats???also gentlemens clubs!!!

332868[/snapback]

Don't forget about the Blue Jays...if he is a city person, its worth the trip to Toronto....they have some cool museums, theatre, etc. there...and of course, a major league team

Agreed!

Also, Japanese citizens don't need a visa to enter Canada for tourism.

Agreed!

Also, Japanese citizens don't need a visa to enter Canada for tourism.

332880[/snapback]

Thanks, I hadn't thought about him getting across the border.

Letchworth is a super idea as well.

I don't think we'll get as far as Toronto, but thanks for

that idea.

Darien Lake could be fun.

The rapid ride sounds great, never been on that myself.

Are there any concerts going on?

I seem to remember he likes rock music.

For a restaurant to go the Old Orchird Inn.  That place is great.

332904[/snapback]

That is a really great place. The Romaello's bought it a few years back. They own about 3 restaurants in the area now. Romaello's South is good too.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about him getting across the border.

Letchworth is a super idea as well.

I don't think we'll get as far as Toronto, but thanks for

that idea.

Darien Lake could be fun.

The rapid ride sounds great, never been on that myself.

Are there any concerts going on?

I seem to remember he likes rock music.

332892[/snapback]

Artpark in Lewiston, NY has shows throughout the summer. Also Tuesdays in the Park are free concerts. Nice place, wife and I always enjoy going there.

Here's the web address http://www.artpark.net/

Check the Tuesdays in the Park link for the free Concerts

As far as foods..beef on weck, Chicken wings and Italian sausage w/fried peppers and onions are all good bets on local fair. Also the pizza here is still the best IMHO

For swimming there is Beaver Island State Park (nice place for a picnic also) on Grand Island and in the southern tier there is Evengola (sp?) State Park right on lake Erie. They have picnic tables also but BI is better in that regard.

I hope next time I'm in town some of you guys don't take me out!

Broadway Market? no way, just not exciting to out of towners.

Fantasy Island? If I went to Japan and they took me to their version of Fantasy Island I'd be pissed!

Naval Park? "This is what a world war II ship looks like, you probably haven't seen any of these back home....". please don't take that the wrong way.

Toronto is 2 hours away MAX - definitely worth spending a day there.

I hope next time I'm in town some of you guys don't take me out!

Broadway Market? no way, just not exciting to out of towners.

Fantasy Island? If I went to Japan and they took me to their version of Fantasy Island I'd be pissed!

Naval Park? "This is what a world war II ship looks like, you probably haven't seen any of these back home....".  please don't take that the wrong way.

Toronto is 2 hours away MAX - definitely worth spending a day there.

333309[/snapback]

That was a joke, so I could put in the "FUN WOW" saying from the commercial. :P

Old Orchard Inn is great though, and very serious about going there.