NFL won't let head coaches wear a suit on the

That is ridiculous. The NFL should allow a coach to show some class. I remember Coach Mac wearing suits at Syracuse and then carried his own personal tradition to the sidelines of the NFL with him, when he was brought in to coach the Patriots.

Is the world run by marketing and lawyers?

That is ridiculous. The NFL should allow a coach to show some class. I remember Coach Mac wearing suits at Syracuse and then carried his own personal tradition to the sidelines of the NFL with him, when he was brought in to coach the Patriots.

Is the world run by marketing and lawyers?

332458[/snapback]

Well the NFL is at least run by a lawyer. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Tags: 'Tom Landry who?'

So much for suits and ties making a comeback.... I guess they want everyone to go grunge or be assimilated to the NFL collective.

Someone tell Jim Kelly not to wear his yellow blazer anymore.

332453[/snapback]

They probably just can't market "NFL Sideline Suits" as easily...

So much for suits and ties making a comeback.... I guess they want everyone to go grunge or be assimilated to the NFL collective.

332453[/snapback]

I hope he's got the good sense to coach the first game in a thong... "You said I couldn't wear a suit. You didn't say anything about a thong..." <_<

I hope he's got the good sense to coach the first game in a thong...  "You said I couldn't wear a suit.  You didn't say anything about a thong..."  :D

332527[/snapback]

Well, in San Fran.... <_<:P

I wonder what the NFL's fashion gestapo says about this, Dikkka's hybrid approach.

That's asinine.

I remember Tom Landry, Dan Reeves...even Mike Ditka wore a tie and sweater on the sidelines. I thought they looked dignified...well, at least Ditka tried to look dignified.

The marketing arm controls all, I guess.

Mike

That's asinine.

I remember Tom Landry, Dan Reeves...even Mike Ditka wore a tie and sweater on the sidelines.  I thought they looked dignified...well, at least Ditka tried to look dignified.

The marketing arm controls all, I guess.

Mike

332659[/snapback]

coaches are still allowed to wear a tie -- in fact, i remember tice wore one in a game last year........if nolan wants to look professional and wear a tie, there is nothing stopping him.........he just needs to chuck a sweater with a team logo over top of it........

nolan needs to realize that the "marketing arm" is what puts those 0's on his pay check.......if he wants to dress like his dad did 'back in the day' maybe he'd also like to get paid like his dad did 'back in the day'.......

coaches are still allowed to wear a tie -- in fact, i remember tice wore one in a game last year........if nolan wants to look professional and wear a tie, there is nothing stopping him.........he just needs to chuck a sweater with a team logo over top of it........

nolan needs to realize that the "marketing arm" is what puts those 0's on his pay check.......if he wants to dress like his dad did 'back in the day' maybe he'd also like to get paid like his dad did 'back in the day'.......

332666[/snapback]

First off, I like your avatar. Get Fuzzy is the best comic out there right now.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with what you just said, however...

If it was all about maximizing marketing money, then the league could force heads coaches to be decked out in every possible piece of licensed apparel. Team socks, headbands, armbands, pants (Zubaz preferrably), sunglasses, gold chains, watches, etc.

At some point, though, the coach looks like a walking billboard and the extra marketing money is not worth the cost. It seems like it may be worth it to forgo the minimal reduction in licensing revenue in order for a coach to be able to look more professional to his team.

If wearing team apparel is so crucial for a league's success, then why don't they do it in hockey and basketball as well?

If it was all about maximizing marketing money, then the league could force heads coaches to be decked out in every possible piece of licensed apparel. Team socks, headbands, armbands, pants (Zubaz preferrably), sunglasses, gold chains, watches, etc.

i don't see anyone suggesting the league take that direction.......i don't think the current rules (which all coaches agree to by the way when they sign their contract) are over-zealous in the least -- a simple logo on a jacket or sweater is all the NFL requires and I really don't think that is asking to much.......

At some point, though, the coach looks like a walking billboard and the extra marketing money is not worth the cost. It seems like it may be worth it to forgo the minimal reduction in licensing revenue in order for a coach to be able to look more professional to his team.

well, if that is the case, maybe nolan should call up a few of his buddies in the coaching ranks and offer to chop their salaries by 5% so that they can all have the RIGHT (which they previously gave away when they signed their contracts) to wear no NFL apparal on gameday.........something tells that nolan would be hard pressed to put his money where his mouth is.......

If wearing team apparel is so crucial for a league's success, then why don't they do it in hockey and basketball as well?

the results speak for themselves -- the NFL is the most profitable of the big 4 and a big reason why they are is because they market the game extremely well.......maybe hockey and basketball could learn something from the NFL in that regard......

and, oh yeah, get fuzzy rocks!!

and, oh yeah, get fuzzy rocks!!

332707[/snapback]

Great one today as he and Satchel argue his desire to kill mice by putting bait out for them.

"Less killing!"

"More baits!"

"Less killing!"

"More baits!"

"Why am I suddenly thirsty?" <_<

Hank Stram wore a suit jacket and tie, only the suit jacket had the team logo on it.  It was pretty cool.  I bet that could work, if done right.

332725[/snapback]

And he always held up that rolled-up bunch of paper. I saw a retrospctive about him some time ago, where he was filmed and recorded during a game. Good stuff. He coached some fine teams - Lenny Dawson, Mike Garrett, Otis Taylor, Buck Buchanon, Willy Lanier, Johnny Robinson, Jan Stenerud and so forth.

332453[/snapback]

It is funny to me. In basketball the coaches dress like they are proper businessmen. In baseball they wear the team uniform and chew sunflower seeds and spit everywhere. If we reversed it for a week the baseball coaches would do OK in the suits. But imagine the basketball coaches in the baggy basketball uniform, standing courtside, chewing sunflower seeds and spitting the shells all over the place. They'd look like buffoons. But at least each player doesn't have their own personal slave (Oops, I mean Caddy) to carry all of their equipment and advise them on how to play the game WHILE the game is in progress like the PGA. Why isn't the Caddy allowed to pull the golf bag on a hand cart? Why, it will hurt the grass, that's why. What a strange and wonderful world we live in.

Other sports force their coaches ot wear suits.

I applaud the NFL for not allowing suits, although it should be a freedom of choice. However there is no chocie in other sports so I'm glad their will be no suits on the NFL sidelines.

I hate suits !!!

I don't know... there's just something about Nolan that rubs me the wrong way. The guy takes himself way too serious. Making a big stink about wearing a suit on the sidelines is silly. For a rookie head coach, there seems to be a little too much arrogance. Reminds me of a stiffer Brian Billick.