Would you climb Mt. Everest?

If you were to get into climbing shape, would you attempt to reach the summit of Everest  

89 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to get into climbing shape, would you attempt to reach the summit of Everest

• Yes, It is a challenge of human endeavor
    • No, got too much at stake to risk it
    • Not sure
    • Who the hell cares?

Assuming you got into shape, would you risk death to have the opportunity to accomplish one of the most incredible challenges on the planet? 1 in 8 people have died trying. If you were in shape to do it, would you try?

For me, being 20 years old, not really close with my family, no girlfriend, no career (just finishing school), i think i surely would risk death to attempt such an incredible feat.

Your thoughts?

Link to CNN article about recent climbers

Assuming you got into shape, would you risk death to have the opportunity to accomplish one of the most incredible challenges on the planet?  1 in 8 people have died trying.  If you were in shape to do it, would you try?

For me, being 20 years old, not really close with my family, no girlfriend, no career (just finishing school), i think i surely would risk death to attempt such an incredible feat.

Your thoughts?

331699[/snapback]

When I worked at NASA in the early nineties, the head of one of the branches studying earth science was an ex-astronaut in his 60's. His lifelong dream - mind you, this guy had been in space - was to climb Mt. Everest. He ended up training for 2 years and was given the opportunity to go on an expedition. He ended up suffering common maladies for us non-sherpas - fluid in the lungs and hypoxia. Tragically, he died during the climb - and fulfilling his wishes, was buried up there. I saw his last video to family and friends taped while his health above base camp was deteriorating - one of the more emotional things I've ever witnessed.

I can definitely see the appeal of testing one's self on a climb of that magnitude. At this stage in my life, I'd rather read about those exploits. Some of the landscapes I've seen of the Himalayas - mostly recollections from my childhood - are spectacular. What's incredible are the feats already accomplished on that mountain. People climbing solo or without oxygen. Talk about amazing.

I've done quite a bit of climbing, including trips to Alaska (Denali) South America (Peru) and the North Cascades.

I would in an instant go to Everest to climb. My wife would freak, but it is the greatest feeling to stand on top of a big mountain, look down and be able to say I did it. The feeling from standing on top of Everest must be 1000 times greater.

Q. Why do men climb mountains?

A. Because they're there.

Assuming you got into shape, would you risk death to have the opportunity to accomplish one of the most incredible challenges on the planet?  1 in 8 people have died trying.  If you were in shape to do it, would you try?

Your thoughts?

331699[/snapback]

I think the going price tag is about 65K. So for some people it is a once in a lifetime shot, not to mention that there's no refund if you don't get a summit opportunity.

There's been a lot of criticism lately that the bigger ascent companies are trying to "Disney-fie" Everest...that is make it so a few quality guides can lead almost anyone up the South Col route. Yet, Mother Nature still has a way of weeding people out. Discovery channel is running a show recently about a group of climbers investigating whether George Mallory and Andrew Irvine ever reached the summit in 1924. They found no conclusive proof but they did show Mallory's body, which they eventually buried. Due to the conditons above 25,000 feet and the effort it takes to get a body down, most people who perish are left where they lay. Kind of eerie, but a very sobering reminder.

I would absolutely climb it if I had the chance. I have over 100 parachute jumps and have done one marathon. Climbing a mountain is something I've always wanted to add to my list of accomplishments. Only problem is I have never found anybody who wanted to do it with me.

I would absolutely climb it if I had the chance.  I have over 100 parachute jumps and have done one marathon.  Climbing a mountain is something I've always wanted to add to my list of accomplishments.  Only problem is I have never found anybody who wanted to do it with me.

331855[/snapback]

Did you know?: Your avatar, Michael Richards, actually climbed Everest. At least he claimed to have done it when he appeared on The Dating Game a long time ago.

Q. Why do men climb mountains?

A. Because they're there.

So true - risking one's life to prove to one's self that it can be done.

Something that many (not all) women can't understand.

:unsure: