McDermott and Beane press conferences 4/20

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Then downplaying the need at CB is not as revelatory to me as some. What do you expect them to say? They're not going to come out and say "We're in really bad shape at CB. We don't like the guys we have in the building now. We HAVE to draft a guy and high".

He didn’t really downplay it too much, he did say they were talking to vets but needed to be within the cap 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No doubt it’s Edmunds, Oliver, Knox and Devin’s agents most likely calling too.  

Out of that group I wouldn’t even call Devin’s agent back…I like Motor but this is very likely his last year in Buffalo

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

And Diggs Blue Cheese wing dip ? !

They could really get something cooking.  And plenty of room for side dishes so other players can add on.  BBQ from Mckenzie, maybe some spicy salsa from Gabe Davis.  The other receiving weapons and rbs could combine for some scrambled eggs dishes. There could be a yearly Bills recipe book sold for fundraising to the various player causes.  every new year they just add new recipes to add into a binder or just a new book each year. Bills Msfia always hungry for good tailgating food ideas. And if it helps the kids and  other causes it's Win Win.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:43 PM, Ya Digg? said:

Out of that group I wouldn’t even call Devin’s agent back…I like Motor but this is very likely his last year in Buffalo

Not suggesting we resign him, just saying who is likely calling.  

HOWEVER:  I would like to present some facts that do suggest Devin is not only capable of more, but possibly better than people realize:

• Of all the RB's who rushed for 850+ yards last year, Devin did it in the fewest carries at 188.
    • All other RB's had at least 202 attempts or more.  
    • Based on Devins YPC, had he carried the ball a total of just 14 more times, he would have finished top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards.
    • And he did this DESPITE being 30th in yards before first contact with one of the worst run blocking lines in the NFL on a pass happy offense.
  • Devin only had 7 total games with 13+ carries, 4 came in his last 6 games.  
  • In those 7 games, he averaged 81.4 YPG and scored 7 TDs (in 7 games). 
    • Projected over a whole season that translates to 1384 yards and 17 TDs.  
  • He has a career 4.7 YPC
  • He is among the league leaders in 20+ yard runs since entering the league despite splitting time most his career

So I think people are unnecessarily down on Devin.  Devin, when given feature RB carries has consistently produced, and done so behind a bad run blocking OL since being here with an OC who was often allergic to running the ball.  

And this year, we went out and brought back Bates who helped the line once he made the starting lineup, which coincidentally resulted in a boom to our run game.  And we added a renown run blocker in Saffold along with bringing in Kromer to rebuild this line.  

We have also been vocal about wanting to run the ball more to take some wear and pressure off Josh.  Our offense broke out last year once we started running the ball well and Devin was a big part of that as he finally started getting meaningful carries consistently down the stretch.  

So IMHO...Devin could be in line for a big season if he enters the season as the primary ball carrier.  And I honestly think that is the plan.  Now if someone like Hall or Walker fall to the 2nd its possible Beane sees an opportunity there and makes a move.  I mean its not like having 2 RB's is a bad thing or that Devin isn't possible to upgrade from.  BUT...I seriously doubt Beane is entering the draft with the feeling he must get one of those guys either and feels good about Devin and maybe finding a complimentary receiving 3rd down back too.  

My prediction (if we don't take a primary ball carrier in the draft):  Devin rushes for 1100+ yards this season and double digit TD's if he gets 13 -15 carries per game.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

HOWEVER:  I would like to present some facts that do suggest Devin is not only capable of more, but possibly better than people realize:

• Of all the RB's who rushed for 850+ yards last year, Devin did it in the fewest carries at 188.
    • Based on Devins YPC, had he carried the ball a total of just 14 more times, he would have finished top 10 in the NFL in rushing yards.
    • And he did this DESPITE being 30th in yards before first contact with one of the worst run blocking lines in the NFL on a pass happy offense.
  • He is among the league leaders in 20+ yard runs since entering the league despite splitting time most his career

So I think people are unnecessarily down on Devin.  Devin, when given feature RB carries has consistently produced, and done so behind a bad run blocking OL since being here with an OC who was often allergic to running the ball.  

And this year, we went out and brought back Bates who helped the line once he made the starting lineup, which coincidentally resulted in a boom to our run game.  And we added a renown run blocker in Saffold along with bringing in Kromer to rebuild this line.  

We have also been vocal about wanting to run the ball more to take some wear and pressure off Josh.  Our offense broke out last year once we started running the ball well and Devin was a big part of that as he finally started getting meaningful carries consistently down the stretch.  

So IMHO...Devin could be in line for a big season if he enters the season as the primary ball carrier.  And I honestly think that is the plan.  Now if someone like Hall or Walker fall to the 2nd its possible Beane sees an opportunity there and makes a move.  I mean its not like having 2 RB's is a bad thing or that Devin isn't possible to upgrade from.  BUT...I seriously doubt Beane is entering the draft with the feeling he must get one of those guys either and feels good about Devin and maybe finding a complimentary receiving 3rd down back too.  

My prediction (if we don't take a primary ball carrier in the draft):  Devin rushes for 1300+ yards this season and double digit TD's if he gets 13 -15 carries per game.  

He may very well be telling his agent he'll accept a team friendly deal.  It's just not a hard position to find a serviceable player when they have such a good passing game.  If they got a Thurman Thomas clone they would have milked the winning drive leaving no time for kc to tie the game.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

He may very well be telling his agent he'll accept a team friendly deal.  It's just not a hard position to find a serviceable player when they have such a good passing game.  If they got a Thurman Thomas clone they would have milked the winning drive leaving no time for kc to tie the game.

Did you watch the game?  Milk the drive?  HUH???  We scored the go ahead TD on 4th and 13.  You think we are gonna milk that with a dive up the middle with Thurman on 4th and 13?  

To recap fully...19 yard line, 17 seconds to play, 4th and 13.  But you think we would have, and I quote, "milked it" had we had Thurman Thomas like RB?  How does one milk the clock on 4th and 13 down 4 points with 17 seconds left in the game?  

Sorry and I mean no disrespect, but this might be one of the weirdest comments I have seen.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Did you watch the game?  Milk the drive?  You cant be serious?  We scored the go ahead TD on 4th and 13.  You think we are gonna milk that with a dive up the middle with Thurman on 4th and 13?  LOL 

Sorry man, no disrespect, this might be one of the weirdest comments I have seen

Well no we wouldn't since we don't have Thurman in his prime Bills days.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Well no we wouldn't since we don't have Thurman in his prime Bills days.  

Huh?  How does having Thurman allow us to milk a clock that has 17 seconds left, down 4 points, on the 19 yard line on 4th and 13 and needing a TD only for a chance to survive?  

Can you please explain how Thurman Thomas in his prime changes what happens at the end of this game?  

53 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

My prediction (if we don't take a primary ball carrier in the draft):  Devin rushes for 1300+ yards this season and double digit TD's if he gets 13 -15 carries per game.  

I dont get the Singletary hate.  He is not Henry but he is a very good back.  Crap oline and early season under utilized.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

So who should we be mad at for not showing up besides Poyer? Is there a list of deadbeats somewhere who are too lazy to get in shape to win a superbowl or do we need to piece this together?

I would doubt Diggs is here.  He wasn't last year.  But I wouldn't suggest he's too lazy to get in shape.  It's more likely he views the early phases of OTA as INTERFERING with his workout program.

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Wait what? Seriously? 

Yes

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  How does having Thurman allow us to milk a clock that has 17 seconds left, down 4 points, on the 19 yard line on 4th and 13 and needing a TD only for a chance to survive?  

Can you please explain how Thurman Thomas in his prime changes what happens at the end of this game?  

Yea I just really meant that if we got the new Thurman then this team could just do as they pleased and no one would stop them.  I don't think there is any one that could be a new Thurman.  I don't follow college enough to know what talent is out there.

Singletary doesn't need to be Thurman.  We got Josh and running is just a change up.

12 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yea I just really meant that if we got the new Thurman then this team could just do as they pleased and no one would stop them.  I don't think there is any one that could be a new Thurman.  I don't follow college enough to know what talent is out there.

Singletary doesn't need to be Thurman.  We got Josh and running is just a change up.

I expect (hope) Josh will do less running and they let Singletary or another RB do most of the running. Just think of how much more dangerous Josh would be if the Bills had a stronger run game. That would open up the passing game even more and it's already really good. 

Edited by Greg S

On 4/20/2022 at 5:49 PM, AuntieEm said:

They could really get something cooking.  And plenty of room for side dishes so other players can add on.  BBQ from Mckenzie, maybe some spicy salsa from Gabe Davis.  The other receiving weapons and rbs could combine for some scrambled eggs dishes. There could be a yearly Bills recipe book sold for fundraising to the various player causes.  every new year they just add new recipes to add into a binder or just a new book each year. Bills Msfia always hungry for good tailgating food ideas. And if it helps the kids and  other causes it's Win Win.

Heck even we fans could pitch in perhaps.
 Plenty of amazing and impressive even "Chefs " on this fine forum :)

On 4/20/2022 at 7:11 PM, AuntieEm said:

I am a firm believer that McD is determined to fix/adjust the O line for an improved run game.

Beginning with Kromer ! Very upbeat on this pickup. and not just sentimental about old times , or a guy has anger issues LOL
 Tweak the personnel  to Aaron's liking and both ZMoss and our Boy Devin will do just fine.
Going to be a good season for the whole offense is my wager

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.