RB Isaiah Spiller jumps in and saves baggage

HOUSE

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You mean like Matt Breida who was kept on the bench by slow Devin Singletary? Or maybe C.J. Spiller who was kept on the bench by slow Fred Jackson? Again, speed is nice. But if you're not technically sound and can't break tackles, it doesn't matter.

Exactly, I want it all!! Speed vision and elusiveness! That’s not Spiller! I’d be happy with Singletary over Spiller, don’t waste a pick on him. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You mean like Matt Breida who was kept on the bench by slow Devin Singletary? Or maybe C.J. Spiller who was kept on the bench by slow Fred Jackson? Again, speed is nice. But if you're not technically sound and can't break tackles, it doesn't matter.

Can we just try to draft somebody then who can break tackles and has speed? If you look at the tape from some of the guys that I showed the 40 times of. You will see broken tackles in their tapes I also see home run touchdowns. I don’t see no homerun touchdowns with Spiller.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Turbo44 said:

he's got a really nice cut, but at 4.64/40 speed he's Singletary - with better hands...maybe

I don’t want him anywhere near this team. Unless you get him in round 5 or after. And that’s not happening. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I see Spiller as a better runner and more technically sound than a lot of those guys you mentioned. Again, I'm not saying Round 1 or 2. But Round 5 at the earliest? That's way too harsh.

I have a high 4th round grade on him, but I wouldn't take him for the Bills even in round 4 because I don't think he is the type of running back this team is lacking. He is a do everything back but he really lacks an elite trait. The only backs that still have day 1 or 2 draft value in the modern NFL are the guys with a true elite trait. Whether that is speed, elusiveness with ball in hand, power, vision.... Spiller has a bit of everything - I actually like your "technically sound" description - but nothing that you go "wow, he is going to be really good in the league because he is elite at X" 

16 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Hes got quick feet and change of direction and made some tough catches. How fast is he?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a high 4th round grade on him, but I wouldn't take him for the Bills even in round 4 because I don't think he is the type of running back this team is lacking. He is a do everything back but he really lacks an elite trait. The only backs that still have day 1 or 2 draft value in the modern NFL are the guys with a true elite trait. Whether that is speed, elusiveness with ball in hand, power, vision.... Spiller has a bit of everything - I actually like your "technically sound" description - but nothing that you go "wow, he is going to be really good in the league because he is elite at X" 

Any wow RBs in this draft ?

What do you think of fan favorite Max Borghi ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Any wow RBs in this draft ?

What do you think of fan favorite Max Borghi ?

No I don't think it is the best running back group tbh. That Taylor, Swift, Dobbins group from a couple of years back is very much the exception rather than the rule in recent drafts. That was a good and deep running back class. But otherwise the last 3 or 4 drafts around that one have been more "meh". 

I think Kenneth Walker and Breece Hall are the two potential lead backs in this class. Walker is the best mix of power and burst, and he plays bigger than his size. But he has very little experience as a receiver out of the backfield and I don't think he demonstrates that high level vision that sets someone like Taylor apart. He misses a few too many holes for me. Breece is more of an all around back but his special trait is his patience. He reminds me a bit of Lev Bell in his pomp with the Steelers. He doesn't get antsy feet, he lets the blockers get to their landmarks. My questions with Hall are his feet, think in those tight spaces you gotta have quick feet and his are not going to make many guys miss in the NFL. And while he posted a good 40 time at the Combine, he is a long speed guy rather than a burst guy IMO. Both second round players for my money. 

I like James Cook the next best after that. I think he is the best receiving back in the class and I have Kyren Williams not far behind him. I don't think either of those are workhorse lead backs they are more your passing game back..... their floor is someone like James White. Ceiling is probably someone like Austin Eckler - who (after going undrafted) has never had a 1,000 yard season as a runner but has turned into a real all around offensive weapon. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I don't think it is the best running back group tbh. That Taylor, Swift, Dobbins group from a couple of years back is very much the exception rather than the rule in recent drafts. That was a good and deep running back class. But otherwise the last 3 or 4 drafts around that one have been more "meh". 

I think Kenneth Walker and Breece Hall are the two potential lead backs in this class. Walker is the best mix of power and burst, and he plays bigger than his size. But he has very little experience as a receiver out of the backfield and I don't think he demonstrates that high level vision that sets someone like Taylor apart. He misses a few too many holes for me. Breece is more of an all around back but his special trait is his patience. He reminds me a bit of Lev Bell in his pomp with the Steelers. He doesn't get antsy feet, he lets the blockers get to their landmarks. My questions with Hall are his feet, think in those tight spaces you gotta have quick feet and his are not going to make many guys miss in the NFL. And while he posted a good 40 time at the Combine, he is a long speed guy rather than a burst guy IMO. Both second round players for my money. 

I like James Cook the next best after that. I think he is the best receiving back in the class and I have Kyren Williams not far behind him. I don't think either of those are workhorse lead backs they are more your passing game back..... their floor is someone like James White. Ceiling is probably someone like Austin Eckler - who (after going undrafted) has never had a 1,000 yard season as a runner but has turned into a real all around offensive weapon. 

so you dont like Max Borghi ?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

For the Bills I like Cook the best. He still has high upside as a runner, not a lot of tread with the multi head attack at UGA and has great hands and can block at an above average level. He’s versatile that he can catch out of the backfield, stick him in the slot, but he isn’t close to Dalvins speed, burst and vision as a runner. 

He also fits the Bills style of offense much like they were trying to achieve with the McKissick signing 

I do wonder with the relatively uninspiring running back classes we seem to get most years now if it is the impact filtering down of running backs being devalued by the league. If you are the best athlete on your highschool team in 2022 do you really wanna play running back? You want to be an option QB or a receiver or a corner because that is where you are going to get paid if you go all the way to the NFL. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, offyourocker said:

Pretty good at catching the ball.  Something Singletary has struggled with.  
question.  When those kids travel to visit teams.  I assume the team is footing the bill.  Do they fly first class?

I'm guessing "no" but I don't know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.