1980 Oakland at Buffalo (FULL GAME)

Greg S

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Best football game I've ever seen live.  And I was there for Stratton's Hit.

Perhaps a brief summary of what is interesting about this particular game without having to watch it for two hours??

Edited by cage
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cage said:

Perhaps a brief summary of what is interesting about this particular game without having to watch it for two hours??

I know I’ve seen it, but I cannot put it in historical context either.

I thought the Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Shane Conlan “Big, Bad Bills” was THE Bills-Oakland game to watch? The one where they got on the cover beating up that Raider center?

I remember the Chuck Knox team very fondly….I guess I’d have to watch to see what’s going on….

Its too bad younger Bills fans can’t really relate to that team as they were very close to a Super Bowl team.

Lotsa fond Bills players from that team, the one that broke the Miami curse. Jim Haslett -Fred Smerlas and Shane Nelson creating the Bermuda Triangle (where no one comes out of) That defense had 11 good football players and was better than the sum of their parts. The trouble was Shane Nelson could not stay healthy…. That D went to another level when he was available.

2 hours ago, cage said:

It was the season opener after OJ's 2000 yard season.  OJ held out but re-signed just before the game.  The opening Monday night game of the year against the Raiders.  OJ sprians his ankle and is out the second half.   Fergy hits Rashad to go ahead 14-13 with just under 2 minutes to play, we hold and get the ball back, but the Jim Braxton fumbles and Art Thoms recovers and runs it back to score, so now we're down 20-14.  We get the ball back, Fergy (then  a second year pro who spent his entire rookie year handing off to OJ), starts throwing the ball and marches us down the field.  With 26 seconds left he hits Rashad for the score to put us up 21-20, and they then take the kickoff and get Blanda set up for a long FG to win it with 6 seconds left.  And he misses!

Most exciting last two minutes of football I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1

The 1980 AFC East winning season is the first real season of Bills football I remember and feel like I am familiar with.  I was 9.

Can still name pretty much the entire starting roster from memory.

Though I have to admit, I have no real memory of this game in particular!  LOL

My first in person Bills Game!  It was a great day and game.  It was also the worse, as far as, drunken/drug addled behavior than any rock concert I attended at Rich Stadium.

Lot's of "probing" going on in the first quarter.

What a treasure Van Miller was.

Edited by mabden
add content

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It was the season opener after OJ's 2000 yard season.  OJ held out but re-signed just before the game.  The opening Monday night game of the year against the Raiders.  OJ sprians his ankle and is out the second half.   Fergy hits Rashad to go ahead 14-13 with just under 2 minutes to play, we hold and get the ball back, but the Jim Braxton fumbles and Art Thoms recovers and runs it back to score, so now we're down 20-14.  We get the ball back, Fergy (then  a second year pro who spent his entire rookie year handing off to OJ), starts throwing the ball and marches us down the field.  With 26 seconds left he hits Rashad for the score to put us up 21-20, and they then take the kickoff and get Blanda set up for a long FG to win it with 6 seconds left.  And he misses!

I watched the first quarter. I forgot about Jeff Nixon playing with Steve Freeman as a safety pair. They were very good together but I don’t recall Jeff Nixon playing that often. So Hyde and Poyer are the best safety pair to Don the red, white and blue…

It was to see the Bills with all their RBs. Joe Cribbs, Curtis Brown and Roosevelt Leaks all played a lot in the first quarter and most of the O went thru them. I didn’t know CB was a FB? Strange, I remember him as more of a backup RB…But what a sensational backfield that was. Plus they had Jerry Butler healthy in this game. Another oft-injured player. Butler, Nelson, Nixon all played so the Bills were at full strength in this one. I assume we won and that is probably the reason why. Butler would definitely be in the HOF if he could stay healthy. He was a top WR in the NFL when healthy. And Frank Lewis, was a superb #2 WR.

It looks so strange now seeing an offense with a split back O every play.

That was a really great team. If that team could stay healthy there was no doubt to me that they could have won a Super Bowl. So frustrating to have so many players be in and out of the lineup. They probably needed better turf and McD’s process to keep them healthy. I’m glad we’re getting real turf for the new stadium.

Whoever posted this, thank you. It was very nice to see the Bills under Chuck Knox again.

Though I still don’t recall any significance to this game. It was definitely early in the season as I saw Curtis Brown (I think) swatting at a bug. It was warm and sunny.

The first time Jim Kelly’s team best the Raiders it signified a changing of the guard in the AFC. One of which, the raiders never recovered. So, huge game. That Raider center was Steve Winnewski or something like that….The Big, Bad Bills!!!

Go Bills!

PS - The furthest I go back is OJ….I still say he was easily the best back of all-time. Before OJ it gets all blurry….Although the oldest team I really remember well is this one. I can’t Billieve Rueben Gant got a pass! LOL!

43 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I was at that game, one of the best games I have ever seen.  I still recall as the drunk bills fans below the MNF broadcast booth giving Howard Cosell the finger.  Both teams ignited under 2 minutes to play and scored 21 points in total. it was a perfect night for football.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The 1980 AFC East winning season is the first real season of Bills football I remember and feel like I am familiar with.  I was 9.

Can still name pretty much the entire starting roster from memory.

Though I have to admit, I have no real memory of this game in particular!  LOL

That’s pretty awesome for a nine year old to remember that, wow! Don’t you wish you remembered finance information like that?

I actually thought I was remarkable remembering that tea but I was 19 in 1980, LOL!

50 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm confused.... OJ's 2000 yard season was in 1973, he was traded in after 1977 season and had retired by 1980 when this game is?!?

Also, the most exciting 1:47 seconds of football just happened in January the last time you saw them play...

36 minutes ago, cage said:

I'm confused.... OJ's 2000 yard season was in 1973, he was traded in after 1977 season and had retired by 1980 when this game is?!?

Also, the most exciting 1:47 seconds of football just happened in January the last time you saw them play...

I messed up.  I was thinking 1974 and just realized they had the 1980 game.  My bad!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.