Personnel and dline rotation

BananaB

Seems to me the coaching staff are making some bad personnel decisions. I just don’t get it it’s like they gotta backed in a corner to figure some ***** out.

The changes on the oline were constant for most of the year and Bates was an afterthought until forced into a roll. In the end he seemed to be the missing link. 

Run game is dependent on the oline but they also mismanaged the group for the amount of runs we call. Singletary stepped up only when they eliminated the RB by committee and that was going on for almost 2 seasons.  That’s all anyone talked about was how we struggled to run the ball. 

Sanders over Gabe, I think this was more McD liking the veteran experience better then who is actually the better player. I thought Gabe would have a breakout year and maybe he still did down the stretch but it wasn’t until Sanders got hurt that he got more snaps and proved he was a better fit for our O. Not sure what Sanders did in a Bills uni that Gabe didn’t already prove he could do last season.  I think McKenzie and Beas situation was different because Beas has proven and done a lot for this team. 

The D line, every week it was kind of guess who was gonna be in the lineup.  The amount they rotate it’s hard to make judgement there. I know this, at times we struggle to get to the QB and at times we struggle to stop the run.  My biggest question here is if the rotation is slowing down the development of the young players we invested high draft picks on? I ask this because Ed has finally starting to turn corner. Would it have happened earlier if he was on the field more over the first few years? Now we have Epanesa, Bashem and Rousseau who are high round guys who at times may have shown flashes but nothing consistent. Are we gonna be waiting for them edging the end of their rookie contracts before they put it all together, if so it’s never gonna work out for us. Harry is another guy that has finally looked like he’s starting to turn the corner.  I guess in the end it will keep their second contracts lower. Lol

Edited by BananaB
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

• BananaB changed the title to Personnel and dline rotation
1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Seems to me the coaching staff are making some bad personnel decisions. I just don’t get it it’s like they gotta backed in a corner to figure some ***** out.

I agree wholeheartedly on this. I’m all about loyalty, but it seems the Bills employed this to a fault. How did Vernon Butler make the final roster was mind boggling to me. Why’d they wait so long to insert Bates into the lineup instead on insisting to play Ford. The rotating of RB in games instead of staying with the better back that particular game. Gabe Davis not getting the playing time earlier in the season. Sitting Lil Dirty. It’s been bothering me for years. TJ Yeldon last season…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The changes on the oline were constant for most of the year and Bates was an afterthought until forced into a roll. In the end he seemed to be the missing link. 

Run game is dependent on the oline but they also mismanaged the group for the amount of runs we call. Singletary stepped up only when they eliminated the RB by committee and that was going on for almost 2 seasons.  That’s all anyone talked about was how we struggled to run the ball. 

It's not just that.  The OL stepped up in the run game because we altered the type of runs we were trying to execute.   We returned to more gap/pin and pull blocking that we ran in 2019 and got away from in 2020.

Singletary stepped up his game, but I think part of it was giving him some blocking in front of him he had some faith in.

Sanders over Gabe, I think this was more McD liking the veteran experience better then who is actually the better player. I thought Gabe would have a breakout year and maybe he still did down the stretch but it wasn’t until Sanders got hurt that he got more snaps and proved he was a better fit for our O. Not sure what Sanders did in a Bills uni that Gabe didn’t already prove he could do last season.  I think McKenzie and Beas situation was different because Beas has proven and done a lot for this team. 

I think Gabe stepped up, and I think the Bills gave Sanders more work than the state of his "chemistry" (for want of a better word) with Josh and his age should have had.  But I don't think Gabe "proved he was a better fit for our offense", and yes, Sanders was running a different set of routes than Gabe proved he could run. 

It has to be taken into account that the Chiefs had a plan for Diggs, Knox, and Beasley, and to them Davis was this guy way down on the depth chart they didn't have to worry about - sort of like the Patriots 2nd game where they had a great plan for Diggs and for Knox and McKenzie spanked them.

Rhetorical question: Is it better too late than never?

Two things strike me about the Bills roster and lineup decisions:

1) They target veteran free agents who they believe are upgrades and plug them into the lineup and generally give them every opportunity to succeed.

For instance the Bills gave Trent Murphy and Patrick DiMarco long play when it seemed they were not justifying their playing time. This later happened with E. Sanders.

2) The team is patient and cautious about promoting young players unless they are highly-drafted. For every Josh Allen, Tre White, and Tremaine Edmunds there are numerous mid-late round picks and free agents that the team brings along slowly but who eventually assume larger roles.

I believe these two factors combine to create instances where veterans get more playing time (are given the benefit of the doubt) over younger players for longer than many of us would like.

As an example, half the people here would have cut Cole Beasley and inserted Isaiah McKenzie into the lineup. Obviously the Bills didn't do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.