Reviewing Beane

Milanos Milano

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't disagree with the above. I disagree with the rest though. Your argument essentially comes down to him impacting the 2017 team by getting rid of malcontents. The proof of the pudding was there in the eating regarding Dareus. The run D was considerably worse after he was traded and I don't accept that Ronald Darby was a malcontent at all. Maybe not a natural scheme fit for McDermott but he played well in a mainly zone defense for Denver last year so he could certainly have done it. Watkins? Yea, maybe. But giving him credit for the 2017 season based on that ONE move is a stretch.

He gets credit for the moves he made in 2017 that set the table for what was to come. But I do not give him credit for the 2017 win-loss record. He didn't add a single difference making piece on that roster. 

Just to clarify on Darby, I didnt say he was a malcontent, just that he wasn't a fit clearly for what McD wanted.  And they replaced him with Gaines, who did play well opposite Tre for the 11 games he started.  So Darby was a scheme fit decision, at least as far as we all heard and know.

Who made chose the final 53 roster?  Beane.  

Who traded multiple starters prior and during the season?  Beane.

Who made an in season acquistion?  Beane.

And we were a 7 win team.  To think that a shift in culture didn't have anything to do with our improvement as a team is short sighted IMO.  I mean we won 2 more games with essentially less talent than the season before.  And had McD not tried the Peterman experiment out against the lowly Chargers who were sub .500, on a losing streak, and only had narrow wins against the worst teams...then we probably win that game and finish with 10 wins instead of 9.  

Its not all Beane, I mean McD is a huge part of that, and even a bigger factor.  I am just saying, its short sighted to think Beane didn't have his stamp on that roster himself and the shift in culture that helped get the most out of our roster.  

I even remember multiple veteran players even commented after the KB trade that they appreciated the fact Beane was supporting what they were doing on the field by trying to add pieces to help their payoff push despite clearly in the process of rebuilding. 

All good...we agree on most things, but don't have to agree on everything.  I just think Beane is being a bit short changed to say he didn't impact that season or roster much.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The current roster has never played a single NFL game, or even a scrimmage, together yet.  The current roster is what is listed as the best roster in the NFL, as in TODAY, not in past years.  

But hey, who cares about facts, logic, and reason right when you can just spout nonsense instead to force a flawed and silly narrative.  

So if we truly have the best roster today, then there is no excuse as to not win a super bowl right? 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

So if we truly have the best roster today, then there is no excuse as to not win a super bowl right? 

Lets see...most the sports world lists us as the SB Favorites.

Vegas lists us as the SB favorites.

Fans see this team as a SB favorite.

So yeah, Buffalo is setup for a SB run this year, and that is the expectation.  But we are talking about pre-season rankings...on paper, the Bills are seen by almost everyone as the best roster in the NFL right now.  But you still gotta play the games, still gotta deal with variables like weather, injuries, schedule, rosters decisions, etc. 

But TODAY, until those games are played, Bills are the most common favorite.  Only time will tell how that story plays out.  

I mean, thats all pretty obvious...not sure why this has you so perplexed.

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

i think we're all feeling that if the team doesnt take a step forward this season it will be a failure or underachievement. I think thats safe to say.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I'm done with him after his "are you really elite if you die" when talking about the SEALS.  Awful, awful piss poor take.

Is it not the goal in military endeavors to sustain the least amount of loss of lives and accomplish a strategic outcome? Do people remember the gladiators that died or the ones who won and stayed alive? 
Elite people win, and keep winning until they are stopped. 

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

You appear to have the impression that if you use a source for a statistic, you must accept every objective opinion they make. It is not so.

You didn't comprehend what I wrote.

Ahhhh...the cherry picking formula.  "I will only accept opinions that I agree with!"  That always works well lol.

I chose PFF because you used multiple tweets that is your evidence that Simmons is the 2nd best defensive player in the league. 

You appear to have the impression that if a guy tweets how good Simmons is, that means its sufficient evidence he's the 2nd best defensive player lol.

The general consensus for all the rankings is that Simmons isn't the 2nd best behind Donald or even close to it.  He's barely in the top 10 just for interior lineman.  But you feel since you said it and a few PFF tweets say how good he is, it's objective lol.  Cherry picking!

Lets take a look at your Titans having a better roster than the Bills.  The general consensus is the Bills are at the top....1-3.

The Titans, the best I've seen is #20.  How are other opinions that much off?  Like I can see if the Bills were in the top 3 and the Titans were just behind a bit....but that's just not the case.  They're pretty much in the bottom half.  All these rankings are subjective but you're really reaching when you have to jump the Bills by like 19 spots to overtake their ranking....like really reaching.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34020426/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2022-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2022-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

Are you really that arrogant that everyone else is wrong and you're right?  You clearly think that with the "the whole forum needs a reading comprehension class".

It's clearly a you problem.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Ahhhh...the cherry picking formula.  "I will only accept opinions that I agree with!"  That always works well lol.

I chose PFF because you used multiple tweets that is your evidence that Simmons is the 2nd best defensive player in the league. 

You appear to have the impression that if a guy tweets how good Simmons is, that means its sufficient evidence he's the 2nd best defensive player lol.

The general consensus for all the rankings is that Simmons isn't the 2nd best behind Donald or even close to it.  He's barely in the top 10 just for interior lineman.  But you feel since you said it and a few PFF tweets say how good he is, it's objective lol.  Cherry picking!

Lets take a look at your Titans having a better roster than the Bills.  The general consensus is the Bills are at the top....1-3.

The Titans, the best I've seen is #20.  How are other opinions that much off?  Like I can see if the Bills were in the top 3 and the Titans were just behind a bit....but that's just not the case.  They're pretty much in the bottom half.  All these rankings are subjective but you're really reaching when you have to jump the Bills by like 19 spots to overtake their ranking....like really reaching.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-all-32-nfl-rosters-ahead-of-2022-training-camp-bills-buccaneers-chargers-crack-top-five/

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34020426/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2022-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-roster-rankings-all-32-teams-2022-strengths-weaknesses-x-factors-every-starting-lineup

Are you really that arrogant that everyone else is wrong and you're right?  You clearly think that with the "the whole forum needs a reading comprehension class".

It's clearly a you problem.

:worthy:

3 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

i think we're all feeling that if the team doesnt take a step forward this season it will be a failure or underachievement. I think thats safe to say.

Which is a reasonable expectation. But we expect results. True elite rosters win, provided they have a good general aka coach. If everyone here really believes we have the best roster, than a lack of a super bowl should fall on McDs shoulders. 

Lets see...most the sports world lists us as the SB Favorites.

Vegas lists us as the SB favorites.

Fans see this team as a SB favorite.

So yeah, Buffalo is setup for a SB run this year, and that is the expectation.  But we are talking about pre-season rankings...on paper, the Bills are seen by almost everyone as the best roster in the NFL right now.  But you still gotta play the games, still gotta deal with variables like weather, injuries, schedule, rosters decisions, etc. 

But TODAY, until those games are played, Bills are the most common favorite.  Only time will tell how that story plays out.  

I mean, thats all pretty obvious...not sure why this has you so perplexed.

It's amazing how confused he is.  Then he says a Navy SEAL who is killed isn't an elite solider because he died.  How disgusting is that?

• Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

It's amazing how confused he is.  Then he says a Navy SEAL who is killed isn't an elite solider because he died.  How disgusting is that?

I missed that...wow, thats pretty gross.  Guess in his mind, that would mean he doesn't think Dale Earnhardt was an elite NASCAR driver then either lol.  

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Did I say the dead soldier shouldn’t be honored? No I didn’t, every solider who sacrifices is a hero. But let’s not lie to ourselves, the elite of the elite find a way to stay alive and accomplish a goal. Elite by definition means superiority, how can you be superior if you were killed by a competitor? 

• Vomit 4

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I missed that...wow, thats pretty gross.  Guess in his mind, that would mean he doesn't think Dale Earnhardt was an elite NASCAR driver then either lol.  

Mike Murphy, the SEAL who stood on top of a mountain peak to get a signal to call for help....in front of 200 Taliban.  Not elite because he died.  Risked his life to help his fellow SEALS, can't look at him as elite.  It's totally disgusting.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Which is a reasonable expectation. But we expect results. True elite rosters win, provided they have a good general aka coach. If everyone here really believes we have the best roster, than a lack of a super bowl should fall on McDs shoulders. 

I clearly see the Bills as the odds on favorites to win the SB.  But the world isn't as black and white as you want to make it seem.  The best team/roster doesn't always win the title each year, especially in the NFL where you don't play a series like Basketball, Football, or Hockey...its a single game, win or go home.    

Any team can win on any given day.  Sometimes a team just has a few breaks that go their way or against them and that can be the difference in the game.  The Bengals, who made the SB, also lost to the JETS.  Doesn't mean the JETS are better than the Bengals though. 

Nick Foles is NOT better than Tom Brady, but he caught lightning in a bottle and beat a Tom Brady led Pats team despite Tom throwing for over 500 yards.  They play that game 10 times, Eagles may not win more than the 1 or 2 games.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mike Murphy, the SEAL who stood on top of a mountain peak to get a signal to call for help....in front of 200 Taliban.  Not elite because he died.  Risked his life to help his fellow SEALS, can't look at him as elite.  It's totally disgusting.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Murphy

When it comes to elite and superiority, decision making should be factored in. Not only elite physically, but elite mentally. Who is smarter? The sniper well hidden in a secret location, or a brute warrior charging into a well fortified position? The goal is to stay alive and win. Beating your opponents, it’s hard to do that when you’ve been stopped. I’m not sure you understand what it means to be elite. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

When it comes to elite and superiority, decision making should be factored in. Not only elite physically, but elite mentally. Who is smarter? The sniper well hidden in a secret location, or a brute warrior charging into a well fortified position? The goal is to stay alive and win. Beating your opponents, it’s hard to do that when you’ve been stopped. I’m not sure you understand what it means to be elite. 

@SDS

Can we get this guy off the board after this disgusting take?  

I clearly see the Bills as the odds on favorites to win the SB.  But the world isn't as black and white as you want to make it seem.  The best team/roster doesn't always win the title each year, especially in the NFL where you don't play a series like Basketball, Football, or Hockey...its a single game, win or go home.    

Any team can win on any given day.  Sometimes a team just has a few breaks that go their way or against them and that can be the difference in the game.  The Bengals, who made the SB, also lost to the JETS.  Doesn't mean the JETS are better than the Bengals though. 

Nick Foles is NOT better than Tom Brady, but he caught lightning in a bottle and beat a Tom Brady led Pats team despite Tom throwing for over 500 yards.  They play that game 10 times, Eagles may not win more than the 1 or 2 games.  

Your very rational argument is wasted on a troll who refuses to accept rational thought. He either really believes it, or it’s just a game for him.  If you are elite, you should win every time. I’m not sure if you are allowed to give up a FG all season, because if you were truly elite you would win very play, every time.

This is a waste of time since he doesn’t even understand the meaning of the word “elite”. I’ll not feed that mess any more. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Your very rational argument is wasted on a troll who refuses to accept rational thought. He either really believes it, or it’s just a game for him.  If you are elite, you should win every time. I’m not sure if you are allowed to give up a FG all season, because if you were truly elite you would win very play, every time.

This is a waste of time since he doesn’t even understand the meaning of the word “elite”. I’ll not feed that mess any more. 

At least you are beginning to understand what it means to be elite. There are levels of eliteness. Pure domination is the pinnacle of eliteness. Not many teams, military, people, etc achieve it. 100s on every test, zero losses on a battle field. Undefeated every season, zero punts ever, 100-0 scores. How elite is up to you. 

Just like we decide on how much failure is acceptable. Is 49-48 acceptable. Is 3-0 acceptable. Since total domination and absolute pure eliteness is impossible in the human form, we have to tolerate certain levels of failure. 

An actual definition:

e·lite

/əˈlēt,āˈlēt/

Learn to pronounce

noun

a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

"the elite of Britain's armed forces"

You don’t get to make up your own definitions. They don’t count. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

:worthy:

36 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Did I say the dead soldier shouldn’t be honored? No I didn’t, every solider who sacrifices is a hero. But let’s not lie to ourselves, the elite of the elite find a way to stay alive and accomplish a goal. Elite by definition means superiority, how can you be superior if you were killed by a competitor? 

This line and your other posts about service members has earned the "ignore" button from me.

Shame on you.

18 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@SDS

Can we get this guy off the board after this disgusting take?  

"Ignore" is your friend.  This guy is not worth my time anymore.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.