Lets be honest here about 2005

First of all, Bills are unproven at QB and the OL is still a question mark, and the schedule this year is tougher from top to bottom IMO, but to break this down easier, can the Bills make the playoffs in this conference?

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

Look at these teams like KC and Baltimore, they are MUCH improved in areas where they need to improve, and Baltimore's schedule last year was unforgiving, I doubt they miss the playoffs this year. This conference is loaded!

Point is teams like J-Ville, Cincy, and Kansas City has all the reason, if not more, reason to be optimistic about the 2005 season.

I think the playoffs is a long shot in 2005.

Flame away

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so but it seems the less we know about other teams, the greater we think they are. If we log onto their fans message boards, we would find them having the same amount of doubts about their own team.

The first 3 teams you listed seem logical but the rest do not receive a free pass.

One...game...at ...a ...time...

First of all, Bills are unproven at QB and the OL is still a question mark, and the schedule this year is tougher from top to bottom IMO, but to break this down easier, can the Bills make the playoffs in this conference?

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

Look at these teams like KC and Baltimore, they are MUCH improved in areas where they need to improve, and Baltimore's schedule last year was unforgiving, I doubt they miss the playoffs this year. This conference is loaded!

Point is teams like J-Ville, Cincy, and Kansas City has all the reason, if not more, reason to be optimistic about the 2005 season.

Flame away

326510[/snapback]

Although, I tend to agree that we're not going to make the playoffs this year, I would rank Buffalo among those teams you have listed, except for New England and Indianapolis which I believe are a lot better than us. The Bills have just as much of a chance as the rest.

I just do not see any way Baltimore misses this year, just my opinion. They finally have some playmakers at WR and their defense is still there, Boller or no Boller, they should win 10+ easy...

Jets get a new OC (Hackett was very bad) they get Coles back, they got RID of Doug Brien...I think they will be tough to beat too.

Kansas City upgraded on defense at multiple postions, and their offense is still top notch.

San Diego and Jacksonville, I grant you that, we really dont know about San Diego, but I think the Jags and the Bengals are on the verge of a breakthrough.

And Mark IV you are right, I guess if we read all the other message boards, we would not feel the same way about these other teams.

Im not suggesting Im totally down about the season, Im just being realistic.

Hey, injuries happen, unfortunate turns, and you never know. On paper the Bills are on the outside looking in, or fighting for that #6 spot. But we don't know how NE will respond to their rather large losses, we don't know if Priest Holmes slows down, we don't know if Edgerrin James is back on the Colts and how that might change things.

I think you could be right, but that doesn't mean anything at this stage of the game. And I'm glad for it, because I am excited.

Clements22, unfortunately i agree with you. I think the Bills will be good this year, i think they will have a winning record, but i think it will come down to tie-breakers as a 10-6 mark still may not get you in. I think there are twelve, yes TWELVE teams in the AFC figthing for the six playoff spots. Our Bills are in the thick of it but we need a lot of other teams to not perform to their potential. I would add the Raiders to your list as well as the Broncos. The Broncs were close last year to the playoffs, and while i thought they sucked, we have no reason to believe that with their additions that they couldn't be at least as good again. And the Raiders... Al Davis' GD Raiders... Their defense is still pretty suspect but they have Randy Moss. Love him or hate him, i think he could have gone to almost any team and made them a threat to make the playoffs. I think it is anyone's ball game, and that means our margin for error is none, and makes the games against KC, Denver, Oakland, and SD some of the most important on our schedule below the games behind NE and the NYJ.

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

Flame away

326510[/snapback]

No flames, just I disagree... and when the Bills make the playoffs you will be cheering with me.

Let's look at those teams you listed...

New England... yes still the class of the AFC, but they lost both coordinators, which I truly believe will mean an extra 3-4 losses. I look at them to be 11-5 or 10-6 this year, but to still make the playoffs. IF... Buffalo can beat them once, I see the Bills having the tie-breaker.

Pittsburgh... will drop this year to about the 11 to 10 win range as well. Rothlisberger will hit a little bit of a Sophomore slump, but not badly. The defense will not be number 1 this year... but I still predict them to win their division.

Indy should be just like last year and win their division. (12-4)

San Diego should be very good this year and win their division as well. (11-5)

Baltimore- Still need a quarterback. (9-7)

Jacksonville- Still inconsistent with the big money on the table (8-8)

Kansas City- Still needs a defense (8-8)

Jets-Curtis Martin will not run as well as he did last year, and Lamont Jordan will hurt them more than anyone thinks. I don't see Coles as a big of a playmaker as Moss. (8-8)

Bengals-Also inconsistent, but improving. (9-7)

I predict the Bills at 11-5. (I guessed 10-6 last year and ended up 1 game off, because I didn't forsee us starting 0-4).

Fact is, NO CHANCE do we start out 0-2 this year, let alone 0-4.

If we end up 11-5 or even 10-6, I see us in the playoffs, and our first playoff game at the Ralph. I don't see us winning one of the top two slots though.

And we will celebrate together.

Look at these teams like KC and Baltimore, they are MUCH improved in areas where they need to improve

326510[/snapback]

I'm going to hold on that until I see them play. I've been burned aplenty by teams that look good on paper.

I cannot argue with you about the vital position of LT, especially when we truly dont even know who will fill it. This is not good.

As far as qb, Holcombe can play. If JP is costing us games, hopefully he will be pulled. If not, it is all good.

I do see the parity about which you speak. This imo means that conference games are much more vital, and could open the door for teams with not so great records to reach the playoffs

I cannot argue with you about the vital position of LT, especially when we truly dont even know who will fill it. This is not good.

As far as qb, Holcombe can play. If JP is costing us games, hopefully he will be pulled. If not, it is all good.

I do see the parity about which you speak. This imo means that conference games are much more vital, and could open the door for teams with not so great records to reach the playoffs

326564[/snapback]

no doubt. the bills' bad start left them with an abysmal conf. record last year. they got hot against the wrong teams (NFC). can't let that happen this year. of course, the bills start with a bunch of NFC games (TB, ATL, NO) in the first 5-6 so in a sense, the schedule works in their favor if they hit their stride later in the season.

As far as qb, Holcombe can play.

326564[/snapback]

I don't think people have fully realized the ramifications of Holcomb being on the team yet. This guy made me some money in fantasy football in the last few years, I think he is definately going to see some action, and might win us a game or two.

New England

Pittsburgh

Indy

San Diego

Baltimore

Jacksonville

Kansas City

NY Jets

Cincinnati

326510[/snapback]

The same case could have been made this time last year. Maybe San Diego and Cinncy wouldn't have been on that list then. But Denver would have been. The Chargers were what, the #3 or #4 seed? And they sure weren't on many lists like this.

Personally, I'd take the Bungels and Jets off there. And put the Bills and Houston on it.

I don't think people have fully realized the ramifications of Holcomb being on the team yet.  This guy made me some money in fantasy football in the last few years, I think he is definately going to see some action, and might win us a game or two.

326589[/snapback]

He'll win us more than a game or two, even if he never sees takes snap. He'll help JP keep a level head when the pressure starts building. I agree, he is an important pick up many are overlooking.

no doubt.  the bills' bad start left them with an abysmal conf. record last year.  they got hot against the wrong teams (NFC).  can't let that happen this year.  of course, the bills start with a bunch of NFC games (TB, ATL, NO) in the first 5-6 so in a sense, the schedule works in their favor if they hit their stride later in the season.

326576[/snapback]

The schedule is BRUTAL between the Miami games.

Jets

@ Oakland

@ NE

Bye

Kansas City

@ San Diego

Panthers

Although nothing is certain, it would appear that the Bills need a decent record going into this stretch.

Want another positive sign? MM is no longer a rookie. This alone could/should translate into another win. With parity, the importance of coaching increases. Aside from NE, the other coaches in our division are not scaring anybody (like the NFC East coaches for instance).

This is fun to think about, but injuries will be perhaps the biggest factor. I would LOVE for our safeties to stay healthy and see what happens.

The schedule is BRUTAL between the Miami games.

Jets

@ Oakland

@ NE

Bye

Kansas City

@ San Diego

Panthers

326598[/snapback]

The Bills can beat the Jets. I really think they will falter early and often this year. They are my pick for bomb of the year.

Buffalo's secondary may be one of the few in the entire league that will be able to match up well against the Raiders amazing receiving corps.

The Bills have to at least split the seried with NE this year. KC and Diego are going to be tough.

The Panthers' game will be won on defense.

I'm hoping to come out of this stretch winning three.