Nickel or 5-2 ? Shotgun or under center ? Let’s debate.

Italian Bills

6 hours ago, Italian Bills said:

Personally, going against a not so great QB, good but not great, i would switch from Nickel to 5-2 to have more protection against the run, maybe not all game long, but i would mix those two formations more, sticking with the Nickel we could have problem limiting their run offense.

On offense i think that Josh play better under center than  the shotgun. He can use more play action plays, make quicker throws for short and more safe passes and avoiding the pass rush that is our weakest point. 

I also noticed that playing under center our backs play better because they get the ball in speed and not starting from a still. 

Doesn't matter what defensive personnel grouping we put out there if guys can't fit their gaps correctly. If we continue to get reached or get washed we're gonna get gashed regardless.

This idea that there's not play action possible out of shotgun is absurd to me. Plus you completely remove the RPO game if you play solely under center - which has been the major way we've had any type of success in the redzone this year.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think this is what's been done in the past when we were more afraid of the run and the pass.  

The thing I don't like about the 5-2 is if the back gets through the LOS, we're in trouble. 

To borrow an expression from army tactics, I'd rather defend in depth.

This.  Putting 5 up front and one less back to keep them out of the end zone doesn’t seems like a good idea to me.  Not to mention the fact that these guys have little to no experience playing that alignment 

On 12/23/2021 at 9:21 AM, Devilmann said:

I’d rather go 4-3 and have Klein play personally. Josh is going to be running for his life as usual but I hope they work on the screen game in practice. 

I think we would be much better off with 4-3 than 5-2. We missed Klein. We got exposed on those stretch plays. Because the “2” would likely be Milano and Mr. I can’t fill a hole if my life depended on it Edmunds. 

I hope to see Josh under center more.  I don't know why they want to play from shotgun as often as they do.  Josh plays better from under center.  Play action works really well for the Bills.  I heard today that Josh is #1 in the league with play action TD passes (14.)

Edited by Scott7975

On 12/23/2021 at 9:09 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I think this is what's been done in the past when we were more afraid of the run and the pass.  

The thing I don't like about the 5-2 is if the back gets through the LOS, we're in trouble. 

To borrow an expression from army tactics, I'd rather defend in depth.

Their RBs are injured....Harris is having hamstring issues...the rookie RB (who killed us last game) is out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.