Julius Jones scheduled to be executed today. Update: Sentence commuted

Julius Jones was convicted of murdering Paul Howell during a carjacking in 1999, was sentenced to death, and has been on death row since 2002. He is scheduled to be executed today at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary.

There is a clemency petition signed by 6.5 million people, including celebrities such as Baker Mayfield and Kim Kardashian, both of whom have gone on record stating they believe Jones was wrongly convicted.

Here is what the Innocence Project has to say:

https://innocenceproject.org/julius-jones-death-row-oklahoma-what-to-know/

Here is what the Attorney General of Oklahoma has to say:

https://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/OKAG/2020/07/06/file_attachments/1489505/Julius Jones Document July 2020.pdf

Thoughts?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Give him life in prison instead. He might deserve the death penalty but allowing the death penalty to happen means mistakes in other cases could lead to a wrongful death and the hands of the state. 

Death penalty is just wrong. 

I'm not sure that life in prison on a wrongful conviction would be any better - except maybe not as permanent. I wouldn't say I am an opponent or a proponent of the death penalty. However, I do believe it is an appropriate form of punishment in certain cases. 

More information.

Justice for Paul Howell

https://www.justiceforpaulhowell.com/

“The fact is, Julius Jones murdered Paul Howell in cold blood in front of his sister and daughters. No celebrity imploration or profusion of misinformation will ..

I think that the death penalty should be applied in open and shut cases of murder, however in this case, with only one eye-witness and a poor defense team, he should be given life.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I'm not sure that life in prison on a wrongful conviction would be any better - except maybe not as permanent. I wouldn't say I am an opponent or a proponent of the death penalty. However, I do believe it is an appropriate form of punishment in certain cases. 

That's my point, you can't undo a death sentence that's been carried out 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

That's my point, you can't undo a death sentence that's been carried out 

No, you can't. But you also can't give people back their lives spent in prison over a wrongful conviction. I will also add that, with the inclusion of life without parole in death penalty cases, it is almost impossible to get the death penalty, even moreso without overwhelming evidence.

It wouldn't bother me if they did away with the death penalty altogether. However, in those jursidictions in which it is still a legal, viable option, it should be considered as an appropriate form of punishment.

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

death should only be given to those who confess. this may happen at trial or years later.

or have to survive 6 games against other death row inmates

Dude no!  Confessions will end up being suicide by lethal injection. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

No, you can't. But you also can't give people back their lives spent in prison over a wrongful conviction. I will also add that, with the inclusion of life without parole in death penalty cases, it is almost impossible to get the death penalty, even moreso without overwhelming evidence.

It wouldn't bother me if they did away with the death penalty altogether. However, in those jursidictions in which it is still a legal, viable option, it should be considered as an appropriate form of punishment.

Don't agree. Those states that still have it are usually the most racists states. That makes it much more suspect. 

I agree some people proobably deserve to get snuffed out, but its better for the common good they just get life in prison 

8 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

death should only be given to those who confess. this may happen at trial or years later.

or have to survive 6 games against other death row inmates

Imagine the ratings that would generate! 

• Haha (+1) 1

A partial DNA profile was obtained from the red bandana; the major component of the DNA profile was consistent with Jones. The conclusive results of the DNA profile shows the probability of randomly selecting an unrelated individual with the same DNA profile is approximately 1 in 110 million in the U.S. African American population.

If they have his DNA it's kind of hard to make an argument for him.  And Baker Mayfield says he he is innocent so that's also not helping the guys case. 

• Haha (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, 716er said:

Just commuted

I just saw that. 12th hour reprieve. I wonder what his justification was. I have no problem as it was commuted to life without the possibility of parole.

16 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Don't agree. Those states that still have it are usually the most racists states. That makes it much more suspect.

Silly

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Agree 1

• billsfan1959 changed the title to Julius Jones scheduled to be executed today. Update: Sentence commuted
19 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Calling states "racist" simply because the death penalty is legal = silly

I didn't do that. 

21 minutes ago, B-Man said:

No. 

He didn't mean racism.

He clearly meant your nonsensical statement about states.

They are racist states. Gees, the Federal Government had to force them to let Blacks vote