Offensive Line Still a Problem

elijah

42 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Clearly, Buffalo needs Spencer Brown to stay healthy.  He's better than Daryl Williams at right tackle, and Williams is the Bills' best guard.  Every other guard on the Bills' roster appears to be a liability in one way or another.  I doubt that there is any way to address that successfully between now and free agency.  I expect an effort will be made in the offseason to fix it.  

I think Buffalo hopes that Tommy Doyle can develop into a solid swing tackle so there's no need to switch Daryl Williams out to tackle every time Spencer Brown gets hurt.  

The other question Buffalo will have to answer is how long can they use Morse at center, and do they think Ryan Bates has starter potential..

I think they keep Mitch at center for 2022, he will be 30 in 2022 and that's not old for his position. I think they address the sudden lack of depth along the O-line heavy in the draft and they might draft his long term replacement in 2022 but I don't think they are rushing him out the door when he is an effective center. The only reason I think he is a player they likely would want to replace longer term is the concussion issue. If he didn't have this long term injury issue I think they would be comfortable with him for at least 2-3 more seasons. 

Overall I think if the Bills are looking at their largest needs going into the 2022 off-season LG and O-line depth will be among their top needs. Projecting out to 2022 I see Dawkins and Brown as the starting tackles, Mitch as the center and D.Williams as the RG. I think they have Mongo back to compete with a rookie drafted up high and he can kick back into being a high end backup if he loses his starting job to hopefully a very good rookie. I then think they bring back Bates and Doyle as they like the versatility Bates brings and I think they view Doyle as a swing tackle long term. I think Ike is likely gone and Ford on the bubble. Which means they will likely dip into the mid-rounds again to find some more Oline depth which I am all for. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The LG position will be interesting.  Feliciano should be back for the Thanksgiving game.  Do you start him or Ike?  Both have their shortcomings and are probably the weakest link in the OL

Agree. Think you ride with the hot hand (which really all depends on how Ike does against Indy). If he holds his own, he'll start against NO.

Brown ain't gonna last in this league very long with his technique.  The guy spends too much time on the ground.  He needs to get much stronger, and lower.  Right now he is just lunging at people.

I can see why the guy has back issues.  I fully expect him to not even last this year without more back issues.

Watch the highlights, and count how many times Brown ends up on the ground.  He can barely get up some of the times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBlkCmfY2Y&ab_channel=NFL

8 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

It looks like there are a good number of offensive guards ranked in the 2-3 rounds for next year.  The first round pick might go for a CB or WR. After that I want one of these OG.

For the 1st round I would look for a DT if Star retires, or a CB or speedy WR s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶s̶ R̶B̶ (̶S̶p̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶)̶.

FYP.

Otherwise I agree, hopefully need will match with quality and we get some good IOL in the second. If there is a stud one in first, I wouldn't hesitate too (pick 32).

Edited by No_Matter_What

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The OL will remain the weakest unit of the year - all the way until the Super Bowl ends and we're hoisting the Lombardi.

What can you do?  You can't sign new linemen.  You can't hire a new OL coach.  You can't suddenly overhaul the blocking schemes.  

You can hope (1) the OL gets healthy and we always have our best five on the field.  (2)  Daboll calls good  games that make the OL look better - like he did yesterday.  

This offseason, though, Beane better attack the OL hard.  

This offseason, though, Beane better attack the OL better.  Beane has actually invested a lot of draft picks and FA signings in the O line.  He's just not done as good a job evaluating O line personnel as he has with other positions.  Currently, two guards Beane discarded (Wyatt Teller and Quinton Spain) are starting for other teams and are playing better than the guards we have.  We still have Cody Ford on the team (and we need to keep him for depth, but God help us if he gets in the games) and that just looks like Beane refusing to concede he missed on a second round pick he traded up to get.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.