What parent here would have the nerve for this?

Hapless Bills Fan

Put your pre-teen child "in charge" for the day....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/oct/17/we-put-our-child-in-charge-for-a-day-it-was-both-terrifying-and-freeing?utm_source=pocket-newtab

There is a song in Matilda, the musical, where the characters sing about how, when they grow up, they will have treats everyday and watch cartoons all the time and go to bed late every night. The irony, of course, is that when they do grow up, they will probably no longer be quite so keen to do those things. This idea that childhood wishes are destined to fade away, unfulfilled, has always seemed a little sad to me.

I may, however, be alone in taking songs from hit musicals so seriously. Certainly, when I tell other parents that my husband Neil and I give our daughter this in-charge day as a gift each year, they find it not only bizarre, but terrifying. “Handing over all control over your lives to your child for 24 hours? Are you mad?” is a typical response.

Apparently there are still limits:

OK, not absolute freedom. There are some ground rules. She can’t do anything we deem to be unsafe or illegal. She can’t ask us to buy anything “too expensive” (we keep this part deliberately vague). And, this year, we realised we needed to add one more sentence of small print to our contract: she cannot purchase any new pets.

But even so, would you have done this?

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Put your pre-teen child "in charge" for the day....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/oct/17/we-put-our-child-in-charge-for-a-day-it-was-both-terrifying-and-freeing?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Apparently there are still limits:

But even so, would you have done this?

first off, my kids love that Matilda song! I downloaded it on my iTunes after I saw the musical about 5 years ago, and they love to listen to it on repeat! 

But beyond that, this doesn’t seem to be as radical as the author makes it sound. Kid can basically choose activities and food on her birthday. I think I would consider doing something similar. 

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

first off, my kids love that Matilda song! I downloaded it on my iTunes after I saw the musical about 5 years ago, and they love to listen to it on repeat! 

But beyond that, this doesn’t seem to be as radical as the author makes it sound. Kid can basically choose activities and food on her birthday. I think I would consider doing something similar. 

I think we would have had to follow our kid around constantly forbidding her from doing things we  consider unsafe without supervision: using the bandsaw and table saw and lathe, climbing out her bedroom window or upstairs bathroom window onto the porch roof, climbing the 3 story pine tree next to the house, using a blowtorch to make creme brulee'

Come to think of it, I feel some regret that our kid lived such a circumscribed, supervised life but considering the list there perhaps it kind of needed to be

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/24/2021 at 9:45 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Nine might be a little young, but I love the idea and wish I'd have done something like this with Lil' Gug.  Looks like a lot of fun and great lessons to be learned (perhaps by both the child and the parents).

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2021 at 10:10 AM, Gugny said:

Nine might be a little young, but I love the idea and wish I'd have done something like this with Lil' Gug.  Looks like a lot of fun and great lessons to be learned (perhaps by both the child and the parents).

There is a mini me of you?  Poor child….. :D 

• Haha (+1) 1

Oh I so would have done this because

1. I trust they'd pick something Fun for we all together ..OR

2. They would be dead as a squished bug the next day when rules go back in place if they were to wanna say Mom Ima gonna shoot heroin...first they'd never ask that but as an example not just No But HELL NO

3. No breaking of any civil laws, criminal laws Including drugs and or alcohol.

okay now having said that the thought never entered my mind before this thread.

Kids: what rules would You have wanted...? haha 

m

Edited by Muppy

Once a year, I was able to pick what I wanted to eat for dinner.

My family had a strict rule of only eating food together, at the table. I remember getting grounded (several times) for sneaking Pringles after school. 

This led me to figuring out exactly what i really liked. Surprisingly it never occurred to me to stuff myself on everything.

As an adult, I keep food in my fridge that everyone likes (especially the kids) when they come over, even stuff I don't touch.  I also keep several flavors of Pringles stored in the pantry. 

On 10/29/2021 at 6:17 AM, Muppy said:

Oh I so would have done this because

1. I trust they'd pick something Fun for we all together ..OR

2. They would be dead as a squished bug the next day when rules go back in place if they were to wanna say Mom Ima gonna shoot heroin...first they'd never ask that but as an example not just No But HELL NO

3. No breaking of any civil laws, criminal laws Including drugs and or alcohol.

okay now having said that the thought never entered my mind before this thread.

Kids: what rules would You have wanted...? haha 

m

Mom … I am going to shoot heroine? I want to laugh but sadly at some point in life this does become a real choice for some. Maybe if we all had a little more joy in our young and old lives this could be avoided. 

I think every kid has fun and a little “life lesson” in overstepping boundaries. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Mom … I am going to shoot heroine? I want to laugh but sadly at some point in life this does become a real choice for some. Maybe if we all had a little more joy in our young and old lives this could be avoided. 

I think every kid has fun and a little “life lesson” in overstepping boundaries. 

yeah....SMH Its a personal experience my son has had twice now. the OD's on synthetic herion/fentanl its brutal Mate. Totally senselessly brutal. Unseakably tragic. I despise all that white powdery whatever stuff.

One of the boys who died was in my cub scout troop, he was serving in the navy, came home for leave...found deceased in his parents upstairs house bedroom. Hidden problems cheap thrills.....smh

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.