Catholic Clergy In France Likely Abused More Than 200,000 Children

They are, in general,  a Conservative bunch the Catholic Clergy

PARIS — A major report released Tuesday said that French Catholic clerics had abused more than 200,000 minors over the past 70 years, a systemic trauma that the inquiry's leader described as deep and "cruel."

The report’s findings could trigger a public reckoning in a country where church officials long stalled efforts to investigate complicity. The findings also add to the picture of country-by-country trauma within a religion that has tended to find abuse on a stunning scale anywhere it has looked.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/france-catholic-church-report-abuse/2021/10/05/05ae5c22-254c-11ec-8739-5cb6aba30a30_story.html

Two Catholic presidents in the United States ever. John F Kennedy Democrat.  Joseph R Biden, Democrat. 

The Catholics in the us have been predominantly democrats up until recently that it’s become more evenly divided. It’s now 50/50.   

Now the ultra progressive are trying to rebrand pedophilia as a new preference.  You people are sick

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Two Catholic presidents in the United States ever. John F Kennedy Democrat.  Joseph R Biden, Democrat. 

The Catholics in the us have been predominantly democrats up until recently that it’s become more evenly divided. It’s now 50/50.   

Now the ultra progressive are trying to rebrand pedophilia as a new preference.  You people are sick

That Conservative Catholic clergy that fought against birth control for decades. What were they doing after they got done abusing people for having sex? Abusing boys 

Sad 

23 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I have a question on this very matter, but before that I’d simply like to point out that most of the RC families I grew up with and around were Democrats.  Admittedly, not today’s version of the Democrat, but dem none the less.  I think that’s pretty common. 

Now, onto my other question.  The sexual abuse is horrible and a stain on the church.   It’s caused many people to reevaluate their relationship with the RC Church, and certainly many to leave it.  

There is, however, a disturbing trend in public education.  A quick google search will lead to hundreds, if not thousands of stories of criminal sexual abuse by teachers and other care givers in our public (and private) schools.  

After the very well documented issues with the Catholic Church, why is this not a major, mainstream topic?   The vast majority of teachers are dedicated educators and decent people, but there clearly is a problem with the vetting process based on the number of incidents we see.   On top of that, there seems to be no process whatsoever to ascertain who knew what, who should have known what, and who may have seen something and said nothing.   

Is it that no one in the MSM or public office has noticed?  In cases involving female teachers and male students, is it considered a lesser crime?  Or, is it simply a matter of brand loyalty and protection of the brand?  

A few years back, a former teacher from WNY was involved in a murder/suicide and apparently was a well known abuser from back in the 70s and 80s. The Buffalo News did a quick story about the allegations…then nothing.   Of course if it happened then, it’s likely happening now.

Thoughts?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

First off, I can find ZERO reason to discuss the political party parishioners belong to. Especially since the same thing has happened in other countries like Germany and France that don't have Republicans or Democrats.  

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Now, onto my other question.  The sexual abuse is horrible and a stain on the church.   It’s caused many people to reevaluate their relationship with the RC Church, and certainly many to leave it.  

There is, however, a disturbing trend in public education.  A quick google search will lead to hundreds, if not thousands of stories of criminal sexual abuse by teachers and other care givers in our public (and private) schools.  

After the very well documented issues with the Catholic Church, why is this not a major, mainstream topic?   The vast majority of teachers are dedicated educators and decent people, but there clearly is a problem with the vetting process based on the number of incidents we see.   On top of that, there seems to be no process whatsoever to ascertain who knew what, who should have known what, and who may have seen something and said nothing.  

Other people do it too so its not so bad?

I would say the primary difference is when it happens in public school, the teacher gets suspended and charged in criminal court. In the RC, offenders just get sent to another parish or school to repeat the cycle.

The Vatican said in a statement Tuesday that Pope Francis had been informed of the report during a recent visit by French bishops. “His thoughts turn first to the victims, with immense sorrow for their injuries and gratitude for their courage to speak out,” the statement said, adding that Francis hopes the French church can follow a path of “redemption” after becoming aware of this “appalling reality.”

If Pope Francis is so concerned about the victims, why doesn't he sell off some of their wealth of assets and help the victims with counseling and sustenance?  I'm sure he could sell off Notre Dame University for example and use all that money to help the victims. Instead, they fight it in court.

I was raised in a Catholic family and went to Catholic grade school and high school.

At Jesuit College Preparatory School in Dallas, 4 of the priests that were there when I was going there have been busted for p e d o p h i l i a.  There were probably 25- 40 priests there tops.  One of them was the principal for 40 years. I never liked being too close to him cuz he gave me the creeps.  I guess I was blessed with good pediophile-dar.

Edited by reddogblitz

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

First off, I can find ZERO reason to discuss the political party parishioners belong to. Especially since the same thing has happened in other countries like Germany and France that don't have Republicans or Democrats.  

Other people do it too so its not so bad?

I would say the primary difference is when it happens in public school, the teacher gets suspended and charged in criminal court. In the RC, offenders just get sent to another parish or school to repeat the cycle.

Sorry Reddog, I have to disagree with you here.  The byproduct of sexual assault by a public/private school employee results in suspension and jail time today, in 2021.  Historically that has not been the case, at least not in large enough numbers to compare to what we see today. 

The sad reality is this likely has alway been a problem and like the issue with the church, and the Boy Scouts, and USA gymnastics people (fellow faculty, administrators and quite obviously other students)  knew or had suspicions that went unreported.  

The bigger picture seems to be that the number of cases is massive, underreported and likely systemic.  I heard one time from a former Disney employee that Disneyworld is a predator playground, but the fallout is carefully controlled by the corporation, police and media because of the harm it would do to the community.  

Again, there are many good and dedicated educators in the country, but is there training and screening to knock out folks with the tendency to abuse? I’d think this would be a very good subject for some intrepid and ethical journalist to cover, but I’d bet it would be unpopular with lots of people to have that light shines on them. 

Finally, I grew up in and around the Catholic Church, was an altar boy, my first job was with our local parish.  The priests I encountered were good human beings and to my knowledge never were accused of wrongdoing.  It is heartbreaking to think of how badly the church bungled this issue and every bit of media scrutiny and push for accountability is warranted.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sorry Reddog, I have to disagree with you here.  The byproduct of sexual assault by a public/private school employee results in suspension and jail time today, in 2021.  Historically that has not been the case, at least not in large enough numbers to compare to what we see today. 

The sad reality is this likely has alway been a problem and like the issue with the church, and the Boy Scouts, and USA gymnastics people (fellow faculty, administrators and quite obviously other students)  knew or had suspicions that went unreported.  

The bigger picture seems to be that the number of cases is massive, underreported and likely systemic.  I heard one time from a former Disney employee that Disneyworld is a predator playground, but the fallout is carefully controlled by the corporation, police and media because of the harm it would do to the community.  

Again, there are many good and dedicated educators in the country, but is there training and screening to knock out folks with the tendency to abuse? I’d think this would be a very good subject for some intrepid and ethical journalist to cover, but I’d bet it would be unpopular with lots of people to have that light shines on them. 

Finally, I grew up in and around the Catholic Church, was an altar boy, my first job was with our local parish.  The priests I encountered were good human beings and to my knowledge never were accused of wrongdoing.  It is heartbreaking to think of how badly the church bungled this issue and every bit of media scrutiny and push for accountability is warranted.  

You make some good points. Of course other organizations have pedophiles and have covered it up.  Add Penn State to the list.  

But we were talking Catholic Church here until you widened the scope for some reason.  Even if true shouldn't let the RC off the hook or lessen the disgust.

Its just that the RC has so darn many.   200,000 in 70 years according to the @Tiberiusarticle. That's 3,000 per year in France. Not a large country.

I'm glad you didn't run into any. Neither did I or my 3 brothers that also went to Jesuit.  I thought the priests were swell guys too.  One priest that got busted and thrown out of the priesthood I had close contact with in classes and extra circular activites. As a senior he was my piano acompnamist for my Marimba solo.  We practiced together and for the District contest across town I drove him and my Marimba in my Mom's Suburban. I thought he was a great guy.  I thank my lucky stars I was not his type.

As far as the priests you knew, you might want to check the list: https://projects.propublica.org/credibly-accused/

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You make some good points. Of course other organizations have pedophiles and have covered it up.  Add Penn State to the list.  

But we were talking Catholic Church here until you widened the scope for some reason.  Even if true shouldn't let the RC off the hook or lessen the disgust.

Its just that the RC has so darn many.   200,000 in 70 years according to the @Tiberiusarticle. That's 3,000 per year in France. Not a large country.

I'm glad you didn't run into any. Neither did I or my 3 brothers that also went to Jesuit.  I thought the priests were swell guys too.  One priest that got busted and thrown out of the priesthood I had close contact with in classes and extra circular activites. As a senior he was my piano acompnamist for my Marimba solo.  We practiced together and for the District contest across town I drove him and my Marimba in my Mom's Suburban. I thought he was a great guy.  I thank my lucky stars I was not his type.

As far as the priests you knew, you might want to check the list: https://projects.propublica.org/credibly-accused/

That's because the RCC, by disallowing priests from getting married, attracted mostly homosexuals who wanted to shield themselves from public scrutiny.  For some, altar boys were plentiful and an easy target and the respect being a priest in the RCC afforded them kept the priests safe for decades. 

Let's get some facts straight.

• 1. The investigation was commissioned by the church. This isn't a coverup
  • 2. They didn't find 200,000k. They found 2700 cases and 4500 news clippings.
  • 3. They extrapolated the numbers. ie; divided the cases per year and multiplied by 50 years. Then did some polling mumbo-jumbo; on the assumtion they didn't find them all.
  • 4. Surprisingly only accounts for 4% of abuse cases; what is wrong with France?

Edited by unbillievable
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Well, to be a bit more accurate, I commented on the subject raised by the OP, specifically commented on the actions of the Church, and asked him a question related to the subject he raised.  As to widening the scope of the post, perhaps I did.  I’m perpetually amazed as to how history repeats itself, and wondered specifically what Tibs thought about this latest crop of abusers and the institution(s) where the abuse takes place.  I’ll discontinue that discussion. 

As for letting “the RC off the hook”, I made no such suggestion and in fact my posts signal quite the opposite.  Your comments in this post follow your original query “Other people do it so it’s not so bad?” which also misrepresented what I said.  

It’s obvious that this is a hot button issue for you, up to and including a link for me to potentially uncover secrets I was previously unaware of.  Of course this presumes I haven’t done this previously, or that I was unaware of the existence of this type of material, or that perhaps I fell asleep on the side of a mountain in the Catskills and have been in a  blissful slumber for the last 30 years.  None of that is accurate, but thanks for sharing. 

I’ll move on, but to be 100% crystal clear, the actions of priests guilty of sexual abuse against anyone, at any time current or past, is/was a crime that should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and the law is generally insufficient to address the damage done by these people.  The actions of the Church hierarchy, actively or passively involved in the abuse, manipulating data, covering up abuse, relocating abusers to work in/around other families is/was criminal and should be/have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.  At the end of the day, faith and prayer and the decent people within the Church has provided comfort to billions of people across the world since the time of Christ, and the systemic abuse scandal is a stain and blight on everything good that the Church has ever done.  It’s an absolute and utter disgrace. 

Oops—I went off topic again.  We are supposed to be discussing “Clergy = Conservatives”. 

• Like (+1) 1