The difference between J.P. and Bledsoe

RVJ

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oy!  You think a speedy 3rd/slot WR like Parrish and/or a TE like Everett would have helped Bledsoe?  How about all the O-line additions?  I like JP's potential, but the Bills are NOT not building the offense around the QB in this case.

321723[/snapback]

I think you have it backwards.

Oy!  You think a speedy 3rd/slot WR like Parrish and/or a TE like Everett would have helped Bledsoe?  How about all the O-line additions?  I like JP's potential, but the Bills are NOT not building the offense around the QB in this case.

321723[/snapback]

They have already come out publicly and said they are. They wanted to but couldn't put in or execute roll outs, bootlegs, moving pockets, quarterback runs and draws, wide receiver screens and other short passes that Drew was not good at, etc. They are building the offense around the mobility of Losman and have already come out and said it. It is more like the offense they ran with Kordell.

They have already come out publicly and said they are. They wanted to but couldn't put in or execute roll outs, bootlegs, moving pockets, quarterback runs and draws, wide receiver screens and other short passes that Drew was not good at, etc. They are building the offense around the mobility of Losman and have already come out and said it. It is more like the offense they ran with Kordell.

Fair enough. I was thinking more personnel-wise.

How so?  I've been saying all along that the Bills needed a better 3rd WR and TE, as well as O-line, regardless of who plays QB.  Sure JP's mobility might help, but it also might lead to him getting sacked a ton, like Vick does, and that can lead to injury.

321732[/snapback]

My best hope is that the management cooks up an offensive plan that helps JP, who will be subjected to everything including the proverbial kitchen sink. And that they are smart enough to not doggedly lock into a set plan if they are getting smeared. I hate it when coaches stick to some concocted formula when it's obvious that the opposing defense is reaming them a new one. See also those gawdawful prevent defenses and those idiotic kick vs go for 2 charts. If jerkboy John Fox would have taken his conversion kick early on instead of being cute and failing at a two point attempt, he could have beaten the Pats by 1 point.

That's a problem in my view. Many NFL coaches are egomaniacs that couldn't run a hot dog cart. Some willl say that that spunk is necessary - perhaps, but I've watched these idiots through several decades make the most fundamental of mistakes. That they have a poor ability to tell time is established beyond doubt, that they revert to this asinine prevent defense - a Bill's speciality, it seems - eschewing a plan that brought them the lead in the first place and end up accomplishing a defeat in the waning minutes. Kenny Stabler was a master when faced with a prevent - he made completion afrer completion in the middle while the defense laid back and protected deep and protected the sidelines. Stabler controlled the clock, and Madden let him run the show. Many think of Madden as a blustery old man, but by gosh he was a heck of a Head Coach.

Most if not all NFL clubs have adequate talent. The clubs that win don't dither over this stat or what to do in that particular situation. The Field General, the Head Coach just says, run the ball off tackle left - they haven't stopped it yet. Or, heck we've worked a short wr screen five times - these guys can't deal with it - do it again.

Lombardi once ran the sweep something like 28 times in a row. After the victory, he was asked about it, and his replay was simply, "it worked" or some such.

Instead of building an offense to help out the Quarterback.

Were using the Quarterback to to help build the offense

321718[/snapback]

Well put. The most important thing I think is that defenses will have to respect JP's foot speed and ability to roll out. Drew, they could just pin back their ears and tee it up when Bills were in third and four. Also, I think Sam Wyche is just giddy with JP, which if you remember Boomer Esiason Days was one of the best play action offenses ever. I think SW wouldn't be acting so satisfied unless he believed he could get that kind of play action from JP. Drew could sell Play action about as well as Anderson's Custard in winter of 77.

321723[/snapback]

If it makes you feel better, Drew taught JP his best play before he left: the pat-pat-SACK play!

PTR

321737[/snapback]

I think you got it dead on. In the short term I do not think the play book will be as deep for JP because of his ineperience, however as time goes on and he starts picking up more and more of the play book it will get bigger and bigger. Also because JP will be able to do more than Bledsoe did the play book will be bigger than it was when Bledsoe was under centre, which will make our offense less predictable than it once was.

Instead of building an offense to help out the Quarterback.

Were using the Quarterback to  help build the offense

321718[/snapback]

Here are a few more differences:

NFL Starts: DB-171, JP-0

NFL TD Passes: DB-221, JP-0

NFL Completions: DB-3,449 JP-3

We are all excited about JP and hope for the best but the reality is that he is a big fat question mark.

I don't really think the offense in terms of design is going to be all that different this year at all. The plan last year was to move the ball on the ground and once McGahee was starting, that became even more of a priority. Does anyone think that is going to change all that much this year? We are still going to run first, pass second. Sure, JP is more nimble than DB but I went through every college game he played a while back and posted it all. Its not like he didn't get sacked plenty, especially on third and long. Something tells me that we aren't going to stop trying to improve our pass protection simply because we have a QB with more mobility.

What you can do with JP is roll him out a bit more and run some bootlegs or QB draws now and then. Also, he will scramble and run for a first down or hit a pass after the play has broken down. That kind of thing is not by design so I don't think the playbook is going to change on that account at all.

We are not going to ride into the playoffs on bootlegs and QB draws. We still need to run the ball effectively, especially on third down and we need improved pass protection. There were way too many sacks last year where DB got hit before he could draw a breath.

I think people are investing the word "mobility" with almost magical properties. Realistically, you have a QB with zero NFL starts and a suspect offensive line that just lost arguably its best player.

Well put. The most important thing I think is that defenses will have to respect JP's foot speed and ability to roll out. Drew, they could just pin back their ears and tee it up when Bills were in third and four. Also, I think Sam Wyche is just giddy with JP, which if you remember Boomer Esiason Days was one of the best play action offenses ever.  I think SW wouldn't be acting so satisfied unless he believed he could get that kind of play action from JP. Drew could sell Play action about as well as Anderson's Custard in winter of 77.

321775[/snapback]

The problem is they don't respect our line. You want to burn a blitzing defense? Pick up the blitz often enough to make them regret it. A good scrambler might make a play now and then but unless he is Michael Vick, defensive coordinators are not losing sleep over a quarterback's "mobility".