Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

And not for nothing, certain players who made the 53, as well as the PS-- Rousseau, Basham, Spencer Brown, Fromm, Doyle, Anderson, Stevenson, Wildgoose, Hamlin, etc developed in those three games. I'll disagree with @Ethan in Portland, and @GunnerBill here: There is no substitute for real game time experience, and the preseason games are the only opportunity for these guys to get it before the regular season starts.

And I'll add: I enjoy the hell out of them.

Oh I think there is value in pre-season games. I am not sure there is value in established starters playing in them for the most part. Especially for teams with established coaches and schemes.

• Like (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Except that we were beat up in October. 

-Allen was playing in a "linebacker brace" 2 weeks out from injuring his shoulder against LV.  The ball was clearly not quiet going where he wanted vs. Tenn and KC. 

-John Brown was playing injured and seemed affected (slow, fell down on one throw)

-Feliciano was on IR and we were playing Winters

-Milano was playing with a torn pec

-White was playing with a back injury

-Wallace was on IR

Correct. Not saying Bills would have won if not for all those injuries, but was obvious Allen's injury was nagging him for a hand full of games there. Add the others listed and as with all teams having major impact players injured, it's tough to over come.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh I think there is value in pre-season games. I am not sure there is value in established starters playing in them for the most part. Especially for teams with established coaches and schemes.

Agree. I will say, though, if I interpreted the situation correctly, I think that McDermott didn't want to start Josh at all. But I suspect, just from reading between the lines, that Josh wanted some game time before the regular season, and made that case to McD.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with you on Sanders v Brown. I am very meh on the Sanders pick up. He is still great at finding the soft spot in zone coverage in those intermediate areas but I don't think he offers any significant field stretching. Now it may well be that Smoke is done but they should have been looking for a speed type for the outside IMO. Diggs can do it, but you want to be able to move Diggs all over the field and use him to dictate coverage. Davis does give them deep ball threat and while he is not a speedster he improved his separation last year which was the question some had against him coming out. He has definitely made efficiencies in his get off which has helped. I have said in numerous places I expect Davis to outperform Sanders and even if he doesn't start the year as the consensus #2 opposite Diggs he will definitely end the year there. 

I agree with you on Shenault too. I had a late second on him, didn't really have an issue with where the Jags took him, but still even now I wouldn't put a first round grade on that guy. 

I disagree to an extent on the 4 and 5 wide stuff. Not that it should be the Bills base offense or anything but not many teams can go four DBs deep against the Bills receivers. Yes, it makes us a bit more dink and dunk but it isn't like Allen's dink and dunk is 4 and 5 yard completions, it is 8 yards, 12 yards, 6 yards, 17 yards etc... we all know you love the deep ball. I care less about that. I think you can win in this NFL without throwing deep a lot, but you do need to make sure you still threaten to go deep, I agree with that. That was always the Pats thing... they didn't actually throw the deep ball a ton, but they did it just enough and they had guys run those routes. 

Yeah I am concerned about the lack of speed.   Beane implied that it was on the agenda after the AFCCG loss.   Didn't really happen though.........nor did the TE situation.

If 4-5 wide works at a high level it will be because the NFL has changed in the past couple of years.........because even in the post 2010 rule change era that empty backfield stuff has not served as a reliable base offense for anyone.

Yeah, nobody has that much coverage inventory on D.........but it simplifies everything else for the rest of the defense and shortens the QB's time to throw.

More plays = more opportunities for the offense to make mistakes.

Exemplified by the 3rd and 20 the Bills starting offense got themselves into on the first drive versus GB's backups.   Josh Allen making a great throw to Davis polished up a drive that otherwise might have typified what can happen when you play dink and dunk.   So many defense's are literally designed to try to force teams to run 10-12 play drives for this reason.  

I don't actually think they will run 4-5 wide a ton...........I don't think Daboll is the next Bill Walsh like some folks but I think he's smarter than that.    I think the dink and dunk stuff is to try to address teams throwing zone coverage(with some success) at Allen.    On that 3rd and 20 throw they basically got GB into a man coverage situation........and Allen delivered the dagger. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I am concerned about the lack of speed.   Beane implied that it was on the agenda after the AFCCG loss.   Didn't really happen though.........nor did the TE situation.

If 4-5 wide works at a high level it will be because the NFL has changed in the past couple of years.........because even in the post 2010 rule change era that empty backfield stuff has not served as a reliable base offense for anyone.

Yeah, nobody has that much coverage inventory on D.........but it simplifies everything else for the rest of the defense and shortens the QB's time to throw.

More plays = more opportunities for the offense to make mistakes.

Exemplified by the 3rd and 20 the Bills starting offense got themselves into on the first drive versus GB's backups.   Josh Allen making a great throw to Davis polished up a drive that otherwise might have typified what can happen when you play dink and dunk.   So many defense's are literally designed to try to force teams to run 10-12 play drives for this reason.  

I don't actually think they will run 4-5 wide a ton...........I don't think Daboll is the next Bill Walsh like some folks but I think he's smarter than that.    I think the dink and dunk stuff is to try to address teams throwing zone coverage(with some success) at Allen.    On that 3rd and 20 throw they basically got GB into a man coverage situation........and Allen delivered the dagger. 

To be clear I am not arguing for the 4 or 5 wide as a base offense. I think it is a weapon in the armory. The Bills base has been 11 personnel since halfway through 2019. I don't expect that to change significantly. 

A true speed receiver is missing on this roster (save for Stevenson a 6th round rookie on an IR stash) but I don't think it is a major weakness. I don't think we are slow at receiver we just don't have that one burner. It would be nice to have one though and that is what I'd have prioritised to replace Brown. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From the clip I saw he was moving pretty freely too (Sweeney)

Well, the Bills decided to go with one less TE, so your TE 3 is the Bills TE 2

yes. agreed how Daboll  is going to scheme the Offense this season. The WR room outclasses any one Bills presented at TE this preseason etc

One of the hopeful for Knox and Allen to work out the kinks  :)

On 9/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, BLO_RIO said:

Giving up? You can't say that yet if you have even a rudimentary understanding of pro football. If Hollister clears waivers and we do NOT bring him back for the PS, then we've given up. This could actually be a part of an ongoing plan to retain him but you as a writer are too quick to inform everyone of something that you clearly don't have any idea about at current.

If you have even a rudimentary understanding of NFL you would know Hollister is a vested veteran and not subject to waivers.

You as a blabber are too quick to inform everyone of something that you clearly don't have any idea about.

• Dislike 1