DeSantis For President in 2024?

14 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

No, a homeschooler can’t opt out of funding a public school. Schools are there for the public and you can feel free to utilize them. If you decide not to, that’s on you. 

You are repeatedly misconstruing my argument and I’m not sure if it’s intentional or what. My entire point is that people can have different views on how to raise their kids. But it’s not the government’s job to enforce one set of beliefs on all kids. 

My son’s bookshelf is very different from his cousin’s. And that is fine!  I don’t think the government should tell my brother what books are appropriate for his kid, and I don’t think it should tell me which are appropriate for mine. That’s our choices as parents. 

Florida school district bans book about real-life gay penguin relationship, citing Parental Rights law

Lake County Schools cites Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis law that prohibits classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity to kindergarten through 3rd graders

A Florida school district banned a book about a real-life same-sex penguin couple from classrooms and school libraries.

The award-winning 2005 children's book, "And Tango Makes Three," tells the story of a real-life same-sex penguin couple that creates a family together.

Lake County Schools located in Florida told Fox News Digital on Monday that the book violates Florida law on teaching about sexual orientation or gender identity to kindergarten and third-graders.

"We removed access to ‘And Tango Makes Three’ for our kindergarten through third-grade students in alignment with Florida HB 1557, which prohibits classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity for those grade levels," Sherri Owens, the Lake County Florida communications director told Fox News Digital.

The banning of the book stems from Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' education legislation he signed into law last year. Florida House Bill 1557 "Parental Rights in Education," which was dubbed by critics as the "don't say gay" bill. The law bans teachers from giving classroom instruction on "sexual orientation" or "gender identity" in grades kindergarten through third grade.

"And Tango Makes Three" is one of several books that have been removed from schools after DeSantis and state Republicans passed legislation on restricting instruction on critical race theory and gender theory.

Public records obtained by another outlet through the Florida Freedom to Read Project revealed that two other books were banned, citing the Parental Rights in Education Act.”

good you are a parent- this helps. And you’re now making an actual argument, with facts. I was optimistic this would be the case if pressed. This is an excellent post. You stuck your neck out. Is there a reasonable counter out there? I don’t think the government should push beliefs on kids either. Can’t they just keep it to math and grammar? 

Ps… as an aside nothing would piss me off more than paying exorbitant taxes to a school to educate my kids that would not allow my input. So I get those parents and their perspective… and I kind of do think if you home school you shouldn’t need to pay in. But there are clearly problems with that ideal. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

good you are a parent- this helps. And you’re now making an actual argument, with facts. I was optimistic this would be the case if pressed. This is an excellent post. You stuck your neck out. Is there a reasonable counter out there? I don’t think the government should push beliefs on kids either. Can’t they just keep it to math and grammar? 

Ps… as an aside nothing would piss me off more that paying exorbitant taxes to a school to educate my kids that would not allow my input. So I get those parents and their perspective… and I kind of do think of you home school you shouldn’t have to pay in. But there are clearly problems with that ideal. 

Well, it seems you have suddenly gained some reading comprehension skills, so that’s a nice change of pace.

If you don’t think the government should push their beliefs on kids, then I have to assume you oppose DeSantis’s push to have the government outlaw books in schools that show anything that doesn’t conform to his beliefs. 

There is a tremendous difference between having input on your kid’s school and having the government outlaw books. They are not even in the same universe of things. 

Had the same discussion with my dad about school taxes many years ago. He complained that he paid so much for public school taxes but also paid to send his kids to private school. My response was simply that, not only was that his choice and he could have availed himself of the local public schools, but he still benefits from living in a neighborhood with a very good public school system. If he wanted lower taxes, he could move to a neighborhood with bad schools. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Well, it seems you have suddenly gained some reading comprehension skills, so that’s a nice change of pace.

Why?

11 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Had the same discussion with my dad about school taxes many years ago. He complained that he paid so much for public school taxes but also paid to send his kids to private school. My response was simply that, not only was that his choice and he could have availed himself of the local public schools, but he still benefits from living in a neighborhood with a very good public school system. If he wanted lower taxes, he could move to a neighborhood with bad schools. 

Ahhh I see your dad bought you a step up and you didn’t even appreciate it??

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Why?

Ahhh I see your dad bought you a step up and you didn’t even appreciate it??

What the hell is wrong with you? Why the hell do you keep making ***** up about me? First I’m in 20’s, then I probably don’t have kids, and now you have deep insight into my relationship with my father?

I have to guess it’s because you’re beginning to realize that your position is untenable and your arguments are terrible. So distract, distract, distract, I suppose. 

Thanks for playing, chump. You can go on pretending that having the state ban books is the same as (instead of the exact opposite of) parents having a say in their local schools. It just makes you look like a fool. 

51 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Well actually people who understand the definition of the word demographics wouldn’t then say the other stuff here. It’s self incriminating 🤷‍♂️ 

PSA 

If an argument is going to be made regarding demographics it is useless without some kind of numbers.  "Probably", "very" and "very very" are broad BS descriptions.  

Did you know that "people of Mexican descent probably own a sombrero".  You tell me what percentage of people that is.

Edited by Precision

Just now, Precision said:

If an argument is going to be made regarding demographics it is useless without some kind of numbers.  "Probably", "very" and "very very" are broad BS descriptions.  

Did you know that "people of Mexican descent probably own a sombrero".  You tell me what percentage of people that is.

PSA

You’ve never read a marketing demographics report have you? 

I have, it's really informative how the pie charts are broken up into "probably", "very", "very very", "very very very" and "maybe not".  

These lazy statements like "if you live in a small town you probably voted for Trump" are BS.  Is 99% to 1% or 51% to 49%?  The numbers tell the story and demographics are about the numbers.

13 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

What the hell is wrong with you? Why the hell do you keep making ***** up about me? First I’m in 20’s, then I probably don’t have kids, and now you have deep insight into my relationship with my father?

I have to guess it’s because you’re beginning to realize that your position is untenable and your arguments are terrible. So distract, distract, distract, I suppose. 

Thanks for playing, chump. You can go on pretending that having the state ban books is the same as (instead of the exact opposite of) parents having a say in their local schools. It just makes you look like a fool. 

My position that you sound like you don’t appreciate your father affording your private education is untenable and makes me sound like a fool?

Mmm ok. I thought you were one of those constructive but uninformed liberals.  Didn’t realize it was just angry daddy issue stuff. Can’t help that or what inevitably is likely you consciously urging to rebel against anything is counter to your upbringing to “win”. Good luck. I hope you sort it out. Sounds angry… sorry bud. 

adding you to the select list of ignorant or ignore .  Same in my book. Ciao

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

My position that you sound like you don’t appreciate your father affording your private education is untenable and makes me sound like a fool?

Mmm ok. I thought you were one of those constructive but uninformed liberals.  Didn’t realize it was just angry daddy issue stuff. Can’t help that or what inevitably is likely you consciously urging to rebel against anything is counter to your upbringing to “win”. Good luck. I hope you sort it out. Sounds angry… sorry bud. 

adding you to the select list of ignorant or ignore .  Same in my book. Ciao

What a ***** idiot. 

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

What a ***** idiot. 

Oops sorry this is the last brilliant argument of yours I get to see. Wow… astonishing. 😂 

got me there!!! 

good luck with the issues. Hopefully you value your alleged child’s future over your vendetta against your family at some point and obtain some values that are meant to better the world over proving daddy wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Oops sorry this is the last brilliant argument of yours I get to see. Wow… astonishing. 😂 

got me there!!! 

good luck with the issues. Hopefully you value your alleged child’s future over your vendetta against your family at some point and obtain some values that are meant to better the world over proving daddy wrong. 

I tried to engage you in good faith and you spent the entire time misrepresenting my arguments. Then you made up lies about me. And now you’re continuing to make up lies about me. And you’re surprised I don’t feel like engaging you in good faith anymore?

You clearly have no interest in anything except being a troll. Which makes sense because the argument you’ve been presenting makes so little sense that it must be a troll job. “Families should dictate their kids education and that’s why the state should ban books. I’m a genius.”

Must make you feel real superior to make yourself look like an idiot and an #######. 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

right to really draw crisp lines here 

the republicans are effectively the majority of the successful college educated, and majority of the less educated whites.

the democrats are effectively the majority of the unsuccessful college educated, and majority of the less educated non whites. 

No need to dance around it.  We are tribal now.  More so than I ever remember.  There are distinct tribes within each party and widely separated tribes between them.  I would argue that the right has more to do with the strict demarcation but there's blame to be had on both sides.  Some tribes can get along. Some absolutely can't.  It's not good but it's where we are.  And you and I will both fight like hell for our perspective tribes.  And call each other out when one spreads misinformation, ridiculous memes or quotes nefarious sources.  Perhaps, it can still be fun.

Edited by redtail hawk

1 hour ago, Precision said:

Loads of stats posted.  on this forum alone.  but they are ignored.  Not even acknowledged much less argued.  wonder why.  I don't see many stats coming out of the MAGA side of the forum.

Edited by redtail hawk

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

No need to dance around it.  We are tribal now.  More so than I ever remember.  There are distinct tribes within each party and widely separated tribes between them.  I would argue that the right has more to do with the strict demarcation but there's blame to be had on both sides.  Some tribes can get along. Some absolutely can't.  It's not good but it's where we are.  And you and I will both fight like hell for our perspective tribes.  And call each other out when one spreads misinformation, ridiculous memes or quotes nefarious sources.  Perhaps, it can still be fun.

I wish I found a tribe. Finding it difficult to heel into the flock of any particular Sheppard, it’s hard. Thinking for yourself is discouraging and opposed with vehement dissent. I appreciate the discourse and look for the moment where you too might just think independently and shed the group think to form an opinion that doesn’t server your party but your own mind. 

• Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I wish I found a tribe. Finding it difficult to heel into the flock of any particular Sheppard, it’s hard. Thinking for yourself is discouraging and opposed with vehement dissent. I appreciate the discourse and look for the moment where you too might just think independently and shed the group think to form an opinion that doesn’t server your party but your own mind. 

I think, therefore I am.  heard that somewhere.  I don't walk in lock step with Democrats.  Scumbags are scumbags and should be punished regardless of party.  Great people are great people.  I've played by the rules which sometimes aren't helpful to me but I expect others to play by them as well.  Perhaps unrealistic and understood but I always hope for better.  Oh, and another nice quote:  No man is an island.  I think that's from the Kama Sutra...

Edited by redtail hawk

16 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The banning books thing really ain’t gonna play well nationally. 

the “woke” stuff over and over is like a cartoon character 

and he’s gotta run against and stand out against trump, whom he worshipped. That’s gonna be tough 

Meatball ain’t getting out of wacky dolphin Florida 

If they have a debate, Trump will end him. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If they have a debate, Trump will end him. 

With the base, for sure.  if a prostitute, overt racism, the Big Lie and Jan 6 didn't lose them, nothing will.  And while that's pitiful, it's good for whoever the Democrats elect in the prez primary.

Edited by redtail hawk

21 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The banning books thing really ain’t gonna play well nationally. 

the “woke” stuff over and over is like a cartoon character 

and he’s gotta run against and stand out against trump, whom he worshipped. That’s gonna be tough 

Meatball ain’t getting out of wacky dolphin Florida 

Fairly obvious at this point desantis would bludgeon Biden… guy is in his prime-  a Harvard and Yale product…. Jag attorney 

head to head it might be a 70 30 kind of landslide 

BUT Donnie T… he just can’t help himself 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Fairly obvious at this point desantis would bludgeon Biden… guy is in his prime-  a Harvard and Yale product…. Jag attorney 

head to head it might be a 70 30 kind of landslide 

BUT Donnie T… he just can’t help himself 

Yeah right.  Here's some stats.  Argue with these:  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-widens-lead-desantis-rest-24-gop-primary-field-biden-holds-slight-general-election-edge-poll

For Desantis to win the primary he needs to out-trump, trump.  Not happening imo.  The cult has bought in completely.