WNY/Albany area visit

Tony P

My wife & I are doing a trip back home for the Bills/Fishies' game and are going to kill a couple additional birds. We're renting a car in BUF and driving to Albany to see Tab Benoit at Cohoes Music Hall. I've never been to the Albany area and have no ideas on a good place for dinner and a cocktail pre-show. We've also never been to Vermont so we're planning a night in Bennington before heading back to BUF for our Halloween/Bills weekend.

For some strange reason, the members of this board are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to great food & adult beverages.😇

Any suggestions in the Albany and Bennington areas are greatly appreciated. Also, if you've ever been to Cohoes Music Hall, how is it as a venue?

Thanks!!!

T.

7 hours ago, Tony P said:

My wife & I are doing a trip back home for the Bills/Fishies' game and are going to kill a couple additional birds. We're renting a car in BUF and driving to Albany to see Tab Benoit at Cohoes Music Hall. I've never been to the Albany area and have no ideas on a good place for dinner and a cocktail pre-show. We've also never been to Vermont so we're planning a night in Bennington before heading back to BUF for our Halloween/Bills weekend.

For some strange reason, the members of this board are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to great food & adult beverages.😇

Any suggestions in the Albany and Bennington areas are greatly appreciated. Also, if you've ever been to Cohoes Music Hall, how is it as a venue?

Thanks!!!

T.

If you like Mexican and/or great steak, I highly recommend Toro Cantina on Wolf Road in Albany.   Phenomenal food and a great atmosphere.

Your options are plentiful on Wolf Road if Mexican isn't your thing.  I don't live in Albany; just work close to there.

@LeviF and @Albany,n.y. are locals who can probably provide more specific options for you.

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

If you like Mexican and/or great steak, I highly recommend Toro Cantina on Wolf Road in Albany.   Phenomenal food and a great atmosphere.

Your options are plentiful on Wolf Road if Mexican isn't your thing.  I don't live in Albany; just work close to there.

@LeviF and @Albany,n.y. are locals who can probably provide more specific options for you.

Appreciate the advice Gugny. I'm always in for really good Mexican food!

47 minutes ago, Tony P said:

Appreciate the advice Gugny. I'm always in for really good Mexican food!

I’ve lived in the Albany 30 years, and while I haven’t been on Wolf Road apparently at least as long as there has been a Toro Cantina, I would second @Gugny suggestion that options are plentiful there.  It would also be relatively close to Cohoes.  Never been to the music venue there. 

Saratoga most definitely has some options as well, and is a cool town worth the trip though farther north. 

I should get out more. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I’ve lived in the Albany 30 years, and while I haven’t been on Wolf Road apparently at least as long as there has been a Toro Cantina, I would second @Gugny suggestion that options are plentiful there.  It would also be relatively close to Cohoes.  Never been to the music venue there. 

Saratoga most definitely has some options as well, and is a cool town worth the trip though farther north. 

I should get out more. 

We should all get out more! Lol. 

Yep, Wolf Rd doesn't look too far from Cohoes. Sounds like a good option for sure. Wish we had additional time to see more. Always happens when we go back to NYS. Never enough time.

Thanks for the info!

• Like (+1) 1

Watkins Glen.. the glen, not the speedway, is open until I believe the end of October. Only take a couple of hours to walk it, pretty much inbetween Albany and Buffalo. Gorgeous place.

• Like (+1) 1

Cohoes music hall is definitely cozy. You’ll enjoy it. 

General recommendation is to keep driving until you hit Boston. But barring that...

Wolf Road has lots of options and if you’re a chain restaurant guy it’ll have just about everything you could ask for, with some non-chains like Toro sprinkled in. Deeper into Albany proper there are options like New World Bistro and DP. Fancier options include Yono’s and Angelo’s. Leaning toward the more casual you have the Olde English Pub and ama cocina (if you’re a tequila fan that’s the spot). 

Keep in mind through all this that cohoes is about 12 miles north of Albany via a highway patrolled by NYSP. Make driving and lodging plans accordingly. 

Closer to the venue itself the options kind of dry up but there are some decent spots. Bye-i Brewing comes highly recommended, as does McGreivey’s in Waterford. 

Agree with Fergy that Bennington is a shithole. 

Any questions PM me. I can occasionally be sensed haunting a particular bar in downtown Albany if you want a stranger to buy a couple visitors a drink. 

Oh and avoid @Gugny at all costs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thanks Levi! Yeah, we've actually changed our reservations now to Manchester. An extra c-note but looks to be a much better choice. 

I was also thinking that driving around an unfamiliar town at night after enjoying a beverage or 3 might not be the best decision. So I'm now gonna make Uber my best friend for that night and probably try a couple of places in/near Cohoes. Bye-i Brewing looks like a very promising candidate! It had already caught my eye and the recommendation pretty much seals that deal.

Appreciate the info!!!

T.

• Like (+1) 1

If you are looking for breakfast or lunch, hit Perreca's in Schenectady.  If you have time for a couple hour detour, go to Cooperstown, see the Baseball Hall of Fame and stop at the local breweries like Ommegang, Council Rock and Red Shed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.