Gretzky steps down as Vice Chairman of Oilers, looks like he's going to TNT to be the lead analyst.

Draconator

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31510602/wayne-gretzky-steps-edmonton-oilers-vice-chairman

Wayne Gretzky has stepped down from his role with the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday, effective immediately.

According to sources, Gretzky will join TNT as a hockey analyst next season. He had been heavily courted by the network and his good friend Charles Barkley, sources said.

The Hall of Famer and former Edmonton captain returned to the Oilers organization in 2016 as vice chairman. He worked as a close adviser to owner Daryl Katz and also has had a hand on the commercial side of the business with the team's parent company, Oilers Entertainment Group.

(More by clicking the link.)

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

TNT shows hockey? 

They're going to.

NBC decided it has had enough and will be gone after this season. 

NBC Sports Network is being killed as well.

Turner and Disney (ESPN) will step in and both show games now.

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They're going to.

NBC decided it has had enough and will be gone after this season. 

NBC Sports Network is being killed as well.

Turner and Disney (ESPN) will step in and both show games now.

this is awesome. I think I had to upgrade my DTV package a little just to get NBC Sports to watch penguins games (I follow the Pens). But then a lot of times, the games are on random channels that I don’t get, like NHLN. 

I didn't know NBCSN was gonzo too. But it makes sense. Without the NHL what do they have? Car auctions? Poker?

As for Wayne his Oilers have underperformed for years. If he wasn't the Great One he would have been dumped unceremoniously sooner.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.