this is a flat-out lie by donohoe

Maybe this will help you. Pretend you just bought a brand new truck. Now your old truck is still good, low mileage 4X4 with some nice options. You decide to sell the old one because you don't need 2 of them. So you list it in the paper for $10,000. A guy calls and says he wants to come over and take a look at it. The 2 of you meet and he loves the truck, thinks it is great. He asks you why you are selling it, to which you reply, "Well I have a new one and don't need this one anymore." "Great," the guy replys, "I'll give you $2,000 and take it off your hands then."

No offense guy, but that is how stupid you sound right now.

319372[/snapback]

Actually it is more like a guy trying to sell a 4 year old truck with plenty of miles, had a broken wheel, and chokes, throws a bearing every 25 times you use it. The owner wants to get all of his money back that he paid for it brand new. The Kelly Blue book says he is worth 2500 (4th rounder), but the truck starting acting up when the other buy came by to see it so he offered 1750 (5th). The owner got upset and said no deal.

This after you have already been offered about 1750 by 5 other people who also recognize the true value but somehow you think the truck is still worth what you paid for it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

rudi johnson started for cincy last year, and detroit drafted greg jones in the first round. stephen davis got hurt after the season started (in game 2).

319380[/snapback]

Sorry you said last year, thought you said ever. I was giving you a quick three.

Dave,

You have a great last name, but remember, we are NOT the Redskins.

From www.czabe.com

Travis Henry is unhappy in Buffalo. The former Pro Bowl starting RB has seen Willis McGahee take his spot (and spotlite) and he’s demanded a trade. The Bills are trying to accommodate him, but so far have found the market pretty soft. Tom Donohoe says he wants no less than a 2nd rounder, when reality might dictate that a 4th round conditional (with the chance it would “float up” to a 2nd rounder with certain statistical benchmarks) is all they will get. You know the RB market is not good right now via trade, seeing as how Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James were both “on the block” but can’t even get a legit sniff right now. Rudi Johnson thought he’d be much in demand with the Bengals, but had to settle for a modest deal that didn’t come close to breaking the bank. "At the present time, there is not enough interest to make a trade," Donahoe said. "And if things continue in that vein, we would expect to have Travis back again next year." Henry is getting antsy, however. “They said they weren't just going to let me go. I understand that," Henry said. "But here's a win-win situation. ... Arizona has shown interest. They've shown they're ready to pull the trigger. And Donahoe is taking his poor little precious time for some reason." Now, here’s the notable angle to this story. Notice how Buffalo is not rushing to take a huge cap hit just to trade a player who is unhappy. Notice how Buffalo is not pulling a Washington, and trading Henry for ANOTHER running back of similar abilities, as the Skins did swapping the smallish Laveranues Coles for the smallish Santana Moss. Notice how Buffalo is in NO HURRY to make this deal, and how they can even envision FORCING Henry to return next year, despite some lockeroom discontent. Notice how Donohoe is a real GM, not a three-headed Owner-Coach-Lackey set up like Snyder-Gibbs-Cerrato. This story is proof that just because a player is griping, does NOT mean you have to unload him right away.

I don't get why people are so worked up about this.

Donahoe has been very consistent all along. He is not going to trade Henry without what he considers fair value. After the draft ended, and posts ad nauseam about this, this is exactly what Donahoe did. How did he lie?

The only question is what you consider fair value v. what Donahoe considers fair value.

People are saying Donahoe waited too long. There is still mini camp, training camp, pre-season and regular season games to make this trade, before Henry's contract is up.

Sometime before the end of the season, someone is going to need a RB. Someone always has and someone always will. At that time, someone will make a decent trade offer.

Why is this a problem?

from the d & c:

"Donahoe rejected reports that he was asking too much for Henry.

'If not being offered anything is being greedy, then we were greedy,' he said. 'We were willing to discuss anything but somebody has to offer you something so that you can have a conversation.'"

from the nashville tennesean:

"The Titans entered the picture over the weekend and were willing to give up a draft pick for Henry, but the Bills didn't think it was a high enough pick. Fisher wouldn't go into specifics about the talks."

319223[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but that's not a lie. If somone offered a 5th, that's nothing, just like TD stated.

if you believe that, then you may as well fire the scouting staff. there are a lot of contributors to be had in later rounds, and even if they don't start, they can contribute on special teams.

319369[/snapback]

i do know that the later draft picks help our team. but you can not trade a 1300+ yard RB, 4 years in the NFL, for a 6 or 7th round draft pick.

thats like trying to sell a 99' BMW, and the only offer is a strait trade for a 91' toyota camry. it might be the best offer so far, but that doesnt mean you should just take it.

dave, you're a complete buffoon for making this post. For all you know, the Titans offered a 7th round pick. Which yes, is tantamount to being offerered NOTHING for travis.

I can't believe how many people around here react like 8th grade ninnies to the slightest news that doesn't fit the draft and roster imaginings in their syphilitic minds.

Read the last sentance in the d&C quote. If someone offered a sixth rounder right now for Willis, would that constitute a reason to have a converstaion. TD was upfront all the way that the Bills would only take a trade if they thought they were getting"fair" value. If Fisher called TD and said we would consider TH for our fifth, is that something TD should have reponded to?

319258[/snapback]

Probably so.

So, TD does what you want and trades TH for a 7th round pick.  Then, Travis goes out and runs for 1,500 yds and 12 TDs, and everyone is ready to shoot TD because he gave up a probowl back for a 7.  It just doesn't work that way.

Travis should not be traded for anything less than a 3.

319322[/snapback]

Travis is not worth a 3 nor will any team ever give one up for him.

dave, you're a complete buffoon for making this post. For all you know, the Titans offered a 7th round pick. Which yes, is tantamount to being offerered NOTHING for travis.

I can't believe how many people around here react like 8th grade ninnies to the slightest news that doesn't fit the draft and roster imaginings in their syphilitic minds.

319554[/snapback]

Hey, Brandon...I enjoy your posts, but don't you see some irony in what you just wrote? :lol:

319554[/snapback]

If dave thinks that TD is virtually worthless, does this talent evaluation qualify him as a "complete buffoon?"

from the d & c:

"Donahoe rejected reports that he was asking too much for Henry.

'If not being offered anything is being greedy, then we were greedy,' he said. 'We were willing to discuss anything but somebody has to offer you something so that you can have a conversation.'"

from the nashville tennesean:

"The Titans entered the picture over the weekend and were willing to give up a draft pick for Henry, but the Bills didn't think it was a high enough pick. Fisher wouldn't go into specifics about the talks."

319223[/snapback]

I don,t think he lied if he was offered a #5 or #6 in the draft. You don't really know what he was offered!

not me - i'd take the pick. there are a lot of prospects that can make a team and contribute in the 5th round.  let me ask you this: who will be more valuable to the team next year: kevin thomas as a nickel back or a sulking travis henry?  a valuable special teams linebacker who makes plays or a sulking travis henry?

319263[/snapback]

that would be a sulking Travis Henry - who would stop sulking pretty quick if Willis got hurt and would offer much more production than a 5th round pick.

Not sure why people want mid-round picks when Teflon Tom has historically failed to turn those picks into on field talent.

as opposed to a straight up release? i'm not saying it's going to happen for sure, but it's definitely in the realm of possibility at this point.

319245[/snapback]

NEVER HAPPEN TD will keep Henry as a backup if he can't get value for him, as he has said all along!

Not sure why people want mid-round picks when Teflon Tom has historically failed to turn those picks into on field talent.

319712[/snapback]

Not that I think he should have taken a mid-rounder for TH, but Terrence McGee was a fourth-round pick.

that would be a sulking Travis Henry - who would stop sulking pretty quick if Willis got hurt and would offer much more production than a 5th round pick.

319712[/snapback]

Yeah he really missed the boat with McGee. I don't know how he made the team, the bum.

319712[/snapback]

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050...?tbd1052513.asp

"The Buffalo Bills are getting closer to the league's elite in terms of building through the draft. But the numbers suggest the Bills still need to increase their percentages of draftees on the roster.

The Bills had 25 drafted players on the roster last year, and nine of those were starters.

New England and Philadelphia each had 30 drafted players in the fold. Each of the league's Elite Eight - the eight that advanced to the divisional playoff round - had more home-grown starters. The Steelers and Colts each had 15 drafted starters. The Pats had 14 and the Eagles 13."