Late round sleeper Avery Williams, Boise State - special teams star

Lothar

Listening to the Cover 1 podcast with Joe Marino this evening, he mentioned the corner from Boise State, 2x special teams player of the year in conference, Mountain West Honorable Mention at cornerback,  consensus position All American as a special teamer.

5'9", 195.

Runs a 4.41 forty.

May be tried as a slot receiver in the NFL

Top 20 in the nation in both punt and kick returns

6 punt returns for TDs, 3 kick returns for TDs in career

Also blocked 4 kicks/punts in career

5 FF, 22 passes defensed

Given that it'll be hard to break into the Bills' starting lineup for someone not drafted in the first couple rounds, perhaps someone who can handle special teams and be groomed as a #4 CB or potentially a slot receiver to replace Cole Beasley in a couple years?

Curious what the TBD draftniks think of him as a late round flyer.

Edited by Lothar
title elaboration, stats
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Lothar changed the title to Late round sleeper Avery Williams, Boise State - special teams star

One more tidbit from his school workout ...

Former Boise State cornerback Avery Williams could be destined for a position change in the NFL. Williams was one of three Broncos who took full part in the school's pro day Wednesday in Boise State's indoor facility, and he showed what he can do in drills specific to defensive backs, running backs and slot receivers. The two-time Mountain West Special Teams Player of the Year, who made highlight reels with his kickoff and punt returns, said several NFL teams have mentioned to him the possibility of becoming a third-down running back. He started every game the past two seasons at defensive back, but he's fine with showing what else he can do. "I want to be the most versatile player in this draft," Williams told reporters on Wednesday. "I can do it all and I'm willing to do it all." - Idaho Statesman

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Lothar said:

Listening to the Cover 1 podcast with Joe Marino this evening, he mentioned the corner from Boise State, 2x special teams player of the year in conference, Mountain West Honorable Mention at cornerback,  consensus position All American as a special teamer.

5'9", 195.

Runs a 4.41 forty.

5 FF, 22 passes defensed

Given that it'll be hard to break into the Bills' starting lineup for someone not drafted in the first couple rounds, perhaps someone who can handle special teams and be groomed as a #4 CB or potentially a slot receiver to replace Cole Beasley in a couple years?

Wow!  Love this guy.  Do you think he'll be available in the 5th?  If so, I'd run to the podium.  

Edited by mannc

12 hours ago, Lothar said:

5'9", 195.

Runs a 4.41 forty.

5 FF, 22 passes defensed

Interesting that you should post this. I have actually taken him in the 7th in a few mock drafts just because I liked his Special Teams prowess and thought he also filled a need as a back end of the roster CB. These are the types of players to take a flier on that late. Cheap ST help with a chance to develop at a position of constant need.

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wow!  Love this guy.  Do you think he'll be available in the 5th?  If so, I'd run to the podium.  

Yeah I think he's going to be an undrafted free agent

Really good on special teams, but only has the size to be a sub package defensive player.. dime corner, potential to work to Nickel

Potential position switch but still a long way away from producing in that role 

Priority udfa

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I think he's going to be an undrafted free agent

Really good on special teams, but only has the size to be a sub package defensive player.. dime corner

Potential position switch but still a long way away from producing in that role 

Priority udfa

Not this year.  He’ll definitely be drafted.  It is not a deep draft. 

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Not this year.  He’ll definitely be drafted.  It is not a deep draft. 

It's deep in some positions and not deep in others

And somebody has to be undrafted free agents.. a special team player who slots as a dime corner to start fits the mold

It's not about some of his talent it's about what he Lacks and you can get guys like that as a priority undrafted free agents 

I can't see anybody taking him in the 5th or 6th round  

Maybe a team desperate for a returner in the 7th.. but he's strictly a sub package player at the NFL level

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's deep in some positions and not deep in others

And somebody has to be undrafted free agents.. a special team player who slots as a dime corner to start fits the mold

It's not about some of his talent it's about what he Lacks and you can get guys like that as a priority undrafted free agents 

I can't see anybody taking him in the 5th or 6th round  

Maybe a team desperate for a returner in the 7th.. but he's strictly a sub package player at the NFL level

Because of covid, only about 850 college players signed with agents this year.  In a typical year, the number is almost twice that.  Guys who were UDFAs in past years will be draft picks this year.  FWIW, I think Williams would be worth a 6th or 7th round pick any year.  He has a ton of speed and can help a team in a lot of different ways.  He'd be particularly attractive to a team like Buffalo who is without a return man. 

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mannc said:

Because of covid, only about 850 college players signed with agents this year.  In a typical year, the number is almost twice that.  Guys who were UDFAs in past years will be draft picks this year.  FWIW, I think Williams would be worth a 6th or 7th round pick any year.  He has a ton of speed and can help a team in a lot of different ways.  He'd be particularly attractive to a team like Buffalo who is no without a return man. 

We still have Mckenzie who can return punts and you can find a specialty kick returner if you need it

And we will see. There are still good football players coming out into the draft this year.. you're making it sound like legitimate scrubs could be taken as undrafted free agents this year

Players that are undrafted free agents are extremely talented. It's really hard to get drafted into the NFL, and I just see way too many cbs ahead of Williams

Regardless of his special teams talent.

Only 255 players who are extremely blessed get drafted.. and many undrafted players are better than the draftees.. but he's sitting around 370 on my big board and a lot of scouts boards 

Edited by Buffalo716

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 12:41 PM, Buffalo716 said:

We still have Mckenzie who can return punts and you can find a specialty kick returner if you need it

And we will see. There are still good football players coming out into the draft this year.. you're making it sound like legitimate scrubs could be taken as undrafted free agents this year

Players that are undrafted free agents are extremely talented. It's really hard to get drafted into the NFL, and I just see way too many cbs ahead of Williams

Regardless of his special teams talent.

Only 255 players who are extremely blessed get drafted.. and many undrafted players are better than the draftees.. but he's sitting around 370 on my big board and a lot of scouts boards 

Wrong

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wrong

You must be so happy that you had to come back just to quote me lol  

He was a fifth round pick whoop-dee-doo..  

By the way a lot of fifth rounders grades and undrafted free agent grades are pretty dang close 

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You must be so happy that you had to come back just to quote me lol  

He was a fifth round pick whoop-dee-doo..  

By the way a lot of fifth rounders grades and undrafted free agent grades are pretty dang close 

Me and some others here were excited about A Williams as a possible 5th round target, and you hated on the guy, dismissing him out of hand.

Just now, mannc said:

Me and some others here were excited about A Williams as a possible 5th round target, and you hated on the guy, dismissing him out of hand.

I never dismissed him

I said he was a talented kid who I thought was limited so I had a priority undrafted free agent grade on him

Which is not knocking the kid

Over 30% of the league is undrafted free agents

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

Wrong

this is great levels of online pettiness.  Someone said he had a priority udfa grade on him but still praised him and gave his opinion on his pros/cons and you are ready with the "told you so"?  A little too early on that, don't you think.  

Edited by Crayola64

Just now, Crayola64 said:

this is great levels of online pettiness.  Someone said he had a priority udfa grade on him but still praised him and gave his opinion on his pros/cons and you area ready with the "told you so"?  A little too early on that, don't you think.  

Guilty as charged

• Thank you (+1) 1