Florida Family Values

give me a break

We're not talking a deranged mental patient but a freaking brat.  Yes, said brat was wrong to kick the assistant principal and she probably needs some help but three cops bending her over and handcuffing her?

318208[/snapback]

Debbie, dont you know that it often takes more people to NOT hurt a prisoner than it does to hurt one?

Really Deb. <_<

PS: The link doesn't work.

give me a break

We're not talking a deranged mental patient but a freaking brat.  Yes, said brat was wrong to kick the assistant principal and she probably needs some help but three cops bending her over and handcuffing her?

318208[/snapback]

There were a couple of occassions in my small-town school that the cops would be called in. The theory was to put the fear of God into the misbehaving kid. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with it provided the community has the resources to do that without short-changing the cops on the street drastically.

FWIW: Everytime a cop (generally the Chief who knew EVERYBODY'S parents) came in to "arrest" a kid, it was the last time that kid got in any real trouble. It may not be PC, but it sure worked.

There were a couple of occassions in my small-town school that the cops would be called in.  The theory was to put the fear of God into the misbehaving kid.  Personally, I don't have much of a problem with it provided the community has the resources to do that without short-changing the cops on the street drastically.

FWIW: Everytime a cop (generally the Chief who knew EVERYBODY'S parents) came in to "arrest" a kid, it was the last time that kid got in any real trouble.  It may not be PC, but it sure worked.

318520[/snapback]

"Scared Straight, Suburbs Edition."

Anyone who has seen either video of that little girl should know there was nothing they could do BUT call the cops. Since they aren't allowed to touch any students, the best they can do is follow her around pleading with her not to misbehave. It's sickening.

And the little girl absolutely froze when she saw the police so we know she's capable of recognizing and respecting authority. Says something about how little respect kids have for their teachers.

Oh well, on the the lawsuit....

None of this would be an issue if we just ordered 1.5 million cricket paddles, drilled holes in them, and handed them to principles and teachers.

Swing away!

318551[/snapback]

As long as the paddles were made by card-carrying members of a carpenter's union, I'd support it.

Debbie, dont you know that it often takes more people to NOT hurt a prisoner than it does to hurt one?

Really Deb.  <_<

PS: The link doesn't work.

318280[/snapback]

Oh yeah I do. But. This is a 5-year old. I defy any parent on here to come out and say "oh sure I'd be ok with my 5-year old being bent over a table and handcuffed"...and mean it. Even you'd have to think twice. There are a million ways to handle a temper tantrum but this probably a tad extreme.

They removed the story. I wonder why. The video's out there somewhere I'm sure.

Oh yeah I do. But. This is a 5-year old.  I defy any parent on here to come out and say "oh sure I'd be ok with my 5-year old being bent over a table and handcuffed"...and mean it.  Even you'd have to think twice.  There are a million ways to handle a temper tantrum but this probably a tad extreme.

They removed the story.  I wonder why.  The video's out there somewhere I'm sure.

318634[/snapback]

Good to see you've rushed to judgement based on an edited videotape given to the media by the plaintiff's attorney.

At least you're consistent.

Good to see you've rushed to judgement based on an edited videotape given to the media by the plaintiff's attorney.

At least you're consistent.

318721[/snapback]

I didn't see the video. I saw a still photo of two cops (not three, one was holding her down) handcuffing a 5-year old and read several articles, all of which said the girl had been acting badly, had torn stuff off the walls and kicked the assistant principal. Then once she settled down, the cops grabbed her and cuffed her. Appropriate for a 15, 25,35, etc year-old person but 5? FIVE?!

"Ann Burke, MD, a pediatrician at The Children's Medical Center of Dayton: The average weight of a four-year-old girl is 35 pounds and the average weight (50%ILE) for a five-year-old girl is 39 pounds. " source

39 pounds? Three cops? Handcuffs?

Handcuffs? For a 5-year old? Edward Scissorhands maybe?

Puhlease. If she was brandishing a weapon, or threatening to gouge out her eyes or something, sure it would be important to restrain her.

I wonder that the cuffs even fit her.

I didn't see the video.  I saw a still photo of two cops (not three, one was holding her down) handcuffing a 5-year old and read several articles, all of which said the girl had been acting badly, had torn stuff off the walls and kicked the assistant principal.  Then once she settled down, the cops grabbed her and cuffed her.  Appropriate for a 15, 25,35, etc year-old person but 5?  FIVE?!

"Ann Burke, MD, a pediatrician at The Children's Medical Center of Dayton: The average weight of a four-year-old girl is 35 pounds and the average weight (50%ILE) for a five-year-old girl is 39 pounds. " source

39 pounds?  Three cops?  Handcuffs?

Handcuffs?  For a 5-year old?  Edward Scissorhands maybe?

Puhlease.  If she was brandishing a weapon, or threatening to gouge out her eyes or something, sure it would be important to restrain her. 

318762[/snapback]

Once again, Debbie throws the baby out with the bathwater. Way to judge from one side of the story. We all know the media never sensationalizes anything.

I didn't see the video.  I saw a still photo of two cops (not three, one was holding her down) handcuffing a 5-year old and read several articles, all of which said the girl had been acting badly, had torn stuff off the walls and kicked the assistant principal.  Then once she settled down, the cops grabbed her and cuffed her.  Appropriate for a 15, 25,35, etc year-old person but 5?  FIVE?!

Puhlease.  If she was brandishing a weapon, or threatening to gouge out her eyes or something, sure it would be important to restrain her. 

318762[/snapback]

You didn't even see the videos? Yes, there are TWO of them. The first is several minutes long and its that little girl trashing a classroom while two teachers plead with her to behave. The video starts with the last of the other children being ushered out of the room as all the children were removed from the classroom because of her. The second video is her in the principal's office once again trashing the place and jumping up and down on tables while, once again, her teacher is powerless to do anything until the police arrive.

There's at least 10 minutes of footage out there of her completely out of control.

If only the teachers could have put that little brat over their knee and gave her the good spanking that she deserved...when I was a kid, that is what would have happened and there never would have been a need to call in the cops. We reap what we sow.

318762[/snapback]

If they had let her go and she ended up hurting herself, then what would your response be?

I'd really like to see what's up with her parents. You hear on the video someone say her mother can't be there until 3:15 because she gets off work at 3:00 and she can't leave. What job is that important that you can't come and pick up your child?

I would never harm my child (or any other). Generally, the difference in physical and mental maturity provides me with many other methods of restraint and discipline.

That said, if the child had fallen off the table she was repeatedly climbing on and even scratched herself or worse yet, hurt an innocent child in some way, the school could not begin to measure the cost of legal defense.

I do know that if one of my children behaves that way at school, (s)he will be hoping that the police get there before I do.

I do know that if one of my children behaves that way at school, (s)he will be hoping that the police get there before I do.

You got that right. The other side of it is my children also get rewarded for reports of good behavior, even though they understand that it is a non-negotiable expectation of mine. I'd be happy to have your kids in my kids' classes anytime.

Agreed.

But on another note - my kids never saw that kind of behaviour in their home either.