Florida Family Values

Has anyone seen that Super Nanny show? My girlfriend was watching this trash last night and I can honestly say that I was so pissed after listening to it, that I couldn't sleep for an hour.

The nanny was saying that you shouldn't raise your voice at the children because it makes them defensive and hurts thier feelings. You should respect your children if you want them to respect you.

Since when was is necessary for your parents to respect you to earn your respect for them??? What the hell is going on????

The worst was the two little brats wouldn't go to bed, and kept getting up. The nanny told the mother to just go put her back and don't say anything. The kid got up like 12 times. Later in the show, the nanny mentioned that the mother was making progress because the kid only got up three times in one night. At which point I added, "OR, you could spank the brat's @ss once really good, and end the problem".

I seriously don't know if I can have children now. I hear that is is illegal to spank your kid? Is this true????? Can they actually arrest you for this? I know my sister tried that on my father once. Suffice it to say, she never used that defense again.

The nanny was saying that you shouldn't raise your voice at the children because it makes them defensive and hurts thier feelings. You should respect your children if you want them to respect you.

I have no problem with the idea of respecting your kids. But I don't see that as conflicting in any way with the idea of punishing them.

I seriously don't know if I can have children now. I hear that is is illegal to spank your kid? Is this true????? Can they actually arrest you for this?

319128[/snapback]

Not verbatim...but if you're seen (or known) to spank your child, someone (in this day and age, any schmuck really) can file a child abuse complaint, and it's even odds that it's your ass...though I've heard that there's a differentiation between hitting your child with an open palm vs. a closed fist that applies, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is.

You got that right. The other side of it is my children also get rewarded for reports of good behavior, even though they understand that it is a non-negotiable expectation of mine. I'd be happy to have your kids in my kids' classes anytime.

318960[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. NON-negotiable parental expectations with an adequate (but not exaggerated) award system as positive reinforcement is the way to go. When the boundaries are set at the beginning and the expectations are attainable a normal child will respond.

Too many parents expect teachers to raise their children. Teachers are hired to provide the best learning environment for all of our kids and ensure that they are well-prepared to move forward with their lives from that perspective. I think 98% of them would like the opportunity to do that. Parents must do the rest. If there is a disciplinary problem that cannot be easily handled by a corrective comment, I want the teacher to contact me ASAP and I will deal with the problem.

It's a real shame when all of the children suffer because some parents refuse to be accountable for their children, either at home or at school.

As an actual parent, I can speak from experience in saying that I've disciplined my children in public, and no one called the cops or attempted to intervene in any way.

But if I see someone administering a beating on a child, I may kick their @$$ myself, depending upon the circumstances.

More info comes to light. This was not the first tantrum the kid threw there. The mother was told that if the kid did it again, the cops would be called. The kid had a 45 minute tantrum, tearing up the classroom AND the principal's office. It was so bad that the teacher evacuated the other kids from the room. The mother was called. She is a lawyer :lol: and said she couldn't make it until 3:15 PM, although they told her what was happening.

How much do you want to bet the kid was raised by a nanny?

The mother was called. She is a lawyer :lol:  and said she couldn't make it until 3:15 PM, although they told her what was happening.

How much do you want to bet the kid was raised by a nanny?

319457[/snapback]

I heard the audio on the radio from an interview with the mother this AM. I don't believe she's an attorney, she's not very... ummm.... articulate. If she's an attorney, her clients are in trouble.

It sounds like the child has severe mental problems. Childhood schizophrenia is not unknown.

As the mother of an austic child - and those kids can throw some violent tantrums - I still think there are other ways this could have been handled. Let's just hope this is the straw that gets this kid some help, and if that help is removal from her current home then so be it. That kind of rage is not natural in a child that small. You only really see it on PPP.

:-)

I still think there are other ways this could have been handled. 

Yes. Swat the kid on the butt the first time this happened. Yelling and screaming can also work on older children. I was about 11 and raised my hand at my mother(didn't touch her). She told my father when he got home. He started screaming at the top of his lungs at me about how you do not EVER strike a woman. He was so crazed that I thought he may have a stroke during it. He didn't touch me, but I was so scared that if I did ever hit my mother that he would literally kill me.

My brother at the same age slapped my mother. She hauled off and punched him in the jaw. She told my father when he came home that she took care of it. He never did that again.

P.S. blzrul: Is you avatar a photo of Sen. Byrd's campaign rally? :lol:

Yes. Swat the kid on the butt the first time this happened. Yelling and screaming can also work on older children. I was about 11 and raised my hand at my mother(didn't touch her). She told my father when he got home.  He started screaming at the top of his lungs at me about how you do not EVER strike a woman. He was so crazed that I thought he may have a stroke during it. He didn't touch me, but I was so scared that if I did ever hit my mother that he would literally kill me.

My brother at the same age slapped my mother. She hauled off and punched him in the jaw. She told my father when he came home that she took care of it. He never did that again.

P.S. blzrul: Is you avatar a photo of Sen. Byrd's campaign rally? ;)

319977[/snapback]

My five-year old daughter punched my husband in the face one day as he leaned across her to buckle her seatbelt. He hit her back.

On the other hand, my six-year old autistic son would throw "tantrums" ... he didn't get hit.

My avatar is actually a photo taken from a BBQ in West Texas, thanks for asking. :lol:

If my daughter's school calls me and tells me my child has been involved in an incident, as a responsible parent, I'm there in an instant. Would that mother have given them the 3:15 time if her child had been hurt?

The police were really put in a no-win situation any way you slice it by this irresponsible parent. Where is the father by the way?