Predict the Bills receiver 2005 corp

What a great thread this has become, quality posts all. I personally feel that two things might happen: Reed will be traded in some package deal that involves Henry as well or Aiken is cut. While Aiken has the size and some talent, to be honest he has shown the least out of the three. Reed at least has a good season under his belt. Aiken has only shown the slightest glimmer when it actually matters: a regular season game. I don't see TD giving up on Reed until a new QB has had a chance to work with him. I also think that Smith has more play-making ability than Aiken does.

Aiken might be a better special teamer, but you do not keep a receiver just for that purpose over other guys. Surpluses at other position cans fill his spot on the kicking teams.

318031[/snapback]

Aiken did show up for that Pittsburgh game. One of the few targets that Bledsoe could actually find in that game.

I think that Reed will get every opportunity to make the 2005 team.

I think you need to look at the 2006 receivers and what Roscoe's presence will mean. I think Moulds is gone next year unless he does something major with this contract to bring his cap number down.

If that happens, Reed will be given every opportunity to come back and be a #3 behind Evans and Parrish.

Now there is something that I agree with you on!

For all of you Reed fans out their can you visualize even ONE great play in three years?

I'm not a Reed fan (well, I'm a huge ANDRE Reed fan, but not Josh). That said, he made an AMAZING catch against the Vikings in '02 (caught it and was hit instantly by a couple of defenders if I recall). Without that catch, we lose the game.

Of course I can think of more screwups, like the dropped flea flicker against the Pats in '03.

CW

Even though his time at TE may be limited in his rookie year, it looks like Everett could steal some time at WR.

from another thread on TSW...

Former Miami Hurricane tight end Kevin Everett was selected by the Bills in the third round of the draft. He is projected to play some in passing situations this year, but will need some seasoning before he is handed the starting job, according to the Buffalo News. "Right away in the pass game he will be hard to cover, either at the line or put him in the slot, flex him out a little bit in motion," said Bills scout Marc Ross. "As a full-time guy, I don't know about that right now."

I think Reed is going to be cut late in the pre-season.

Obviously, Moulds and Evans and Parrish are locks.

At first blush, it would seem that Not quite So Fast Freddie's job is in danger because Parrish would fill many of the same roles. But on second thought, my reasoning is that Reed and Aiken are basically the same type of player, and you simply don't need two of them. Aiken is the better blocker and better on special teams and probably has the higher upside at this point in their careers unless Josh makes a ridiculous turnaround. It's possible but unlikely.

A team's #5 receiver rarely sees the field but Freddie somewhat impressed me last year with his play-making ability. As a #5, we don't need another possession guy that does the same things as the #4. Especially with creative offensive thinkers MM, and TC and SW around. So I think Reed and Aiken battle it out against each other and Freddie gets a reprieve for a year to see if he can make plays in a limited role.

317933[/snapback]

Kelly, I fully agree. I think it to be highly unlikely that Reed will make the team, and believe Aiken will stay because of very good special teams play.

id like to see - moulds, evans, parrish, reed, smith - so that leaves on the roster that possably being cut aiken, haddad, wilson, vann, and now from illinoise an udfa tony brown....why did we grab tony brown with all those extra wr's allready on list?...granted wilson and vann i think are nfle guys... but? how many wrs dose buffalo usually keep?

As it stands right now:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Smith

Aiken

I don't understand all this talk about cutting Jonathan Smith. Why would we cut a guy who produced as a rookie last year? Fast Freddie was fine. Reed and Aiken were not. I think Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Smith are all going to be here. But i'd say that Reed and Aiken are as good as gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if TD brought in another FA WR or maybe one of the UDFA's we sign will be to good to cut. Maybe Travis does get traded for Tyrone Calico.

Bottom line, Josh Reed and Sam Aiken will not be Bills past training camp.

My gut tells me Reed blossoms in training camp and hangs onto his job--thereby leaving Aiken as the odd man out. People here talk about Aiken's potential--Reed has even more potential than Aiken.

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Jonathon Freddy Smith are all locks. Add Reed--and there are your five WR's.

As it stands right now:

Moulds

Evans

Parrish

Smith

Aiken

I don't understand all this talk about cutting Jonathan Smith. Why would we cut a guy who produced as a rookie last year? Fast Freddie was fine. Reed and Aiken were not. I think Moulds, Evans, Parrish, and Smith are all going to be here. But i'd say that Reed and Aiken are as good as gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if TD brought in another FA WR or maybe one of the UDFA's we sign will be to good to cut. Maybe Travis does get traded for Tyrone Calico.

Bottom line, Josh Reed and Sam Aiken will not be Bills past training camp.

318189[/snapback]

Ok So you predict that Aiken will make the squad and get cut?

I'm willing to lay down money that Josh Reed isn't a good receiver not because of who his qb was, but because Josh Reed just isn't good period.

318020[/snapback]

I agree with you. Moulds and Evans were also being thrown at by the same QB so they should have also be non-performers. JR may be gone earlier than we think - probably a June 1 cut.