Cover 1: AJ Epenesa Rookie year transformation

20 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Am I the only one that thought during some games he seriously flashed? There were a few sequences late in the season where I felt like he was always around the ball or making a play... I know he caught a lot of flack for not being an impact guy early on from some of the resident posters who believe your 7th round pick need to be elite or the draft is a bust... 

I felt like he showed a lot of promise later in the season. 

Count me in as I have been saying it all offseason when people feel panicked about getting a big name DE.  I always point out three things:

1 - We were 6th in the NFL at pressuring the QB.

2 - Undersized interior DL a much bigger issue IMO and Star is king if unknown after missing a year.

3 - AJE really started to come on and flash as the season wore on and would be best to get him heavily into the rotation after spending a 2nd on him and seeing him start to develop.  I actually expect him to start this year over Addison.  

He is a big reason I’m less concerned about DE than I am about DT, LB (if Milano leaves) and DB opposite Tre.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Count me in as I have been saying it all offseason when people feel panicked about getting a big name DE.  I always point out three things:

1 - We were 6th in the NFL at pressuring the QB.

2 - Undersized interior DL a much bigger issue IMO and Star is king if unknown after missing a year.

3 - AJE really started to come on and flash as the season wore on and would be best to get him heavily into the rotation after spending a 2nd on him and seeing him start to develop.  I actually expect him to start this year over Addison.  

He is a big reason I’m less concerned about DE than I am about DT, LB (if Milano leaves) and DB opposite Tre.  

On #1 we had to blitz a lot more than our scheme is designed to in order to achieve that number. That blitz % affected our overall defensive scheme. 

I do agree with #2 and #3 though. But I still think we need an edge rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

On #1 we had to blitz a lot more than our scheme is designed to in order to achieve that number. That blitz % affected our overall defensive scheme. 

I do agree with #2 and #3 though. But I still think we need an edge rusher. 

I think the high blitz rate dramatically drove down our defenses overall effectiveness.  The primary goal of the scheme is to pressure the QB with the front 4 and play zone with eyes on QB to take advantage of mistakes caused by the pressure.   This is why we have one of the most $$ in the NFL devoted to our DL.

Having to blitz so often left much bigger holes for the QB to find easier and quicker.   This compounded by our crappy run defense = rough defensive season.

I figure better practice time and hopefully better addressing the 1 tech (Star + vet?), and better DE play (Epenesa) + new vet, will allow our D to go back to 2019 play and less blitzing.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Am I the only one that thought during some games he seriously flashed? There were a few sequences late in the season where I felt like he was always around the ball or making a play... I know he caught a lot of flack for not being an impact guy early on from some of the resident posters who believe your 7th round pick need to be elite or the draft is a bust... 

You aren't the only one.  He started to figure it out and he was definitely flashing.  

• Agree 1

On 3/9/2021 at 9:19 PM, JGMcD2 said:

I agree he did.  This is a big year for him.  offseason program should help.