Should Josh Allen ask for a no-trade clause in a new contract?

If Josh Allen signs a contract extension this year, should he ask for a no-trade clause?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. As part of a new contract, should Josh Allen ask his agents to request a no-trade clause

2. 2. If Allen requests a no-trade clause, should the Bills oblige?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends upon length and how the contract is structured

Football is Family

Football is also a business

We're seeing 1st round guys who seemed established as the Face of the Franchise, the Franchise Guy, being traded around the league.

Obviously a QB's life can be made hell if he's either stuck on a bad team or traded to a bad team.

If the Bills ask Josh for a longer contract which is cap-neutral for several years, should he ask for a no-trade clause so he can control this? 

If he does, should the Bills give it to him?

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

A no trade clause is pretty standard for big time QB's these days.

Maybe, but looking at how the Wentz situation and Goff played out, ( I'm not familiar with their contracts and whatnot) but they were at one point considered a "big time QB" I'm pretty sure.

I know situations are different and all, but they didn't have that. I don't think anyways.

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Maybe, but looking at how the Wentz situation and Goff played out, ( I'm not familiar with their contracts and whatnot) but they were at one point considered a "big time QB" I'm pretty sure.

I know situations are different and all, but they didn't have that. I don't think anyways.

Both guys had serious caveats. Goff never showed he could carry his team. He was clearly a system QB and always folded when it was on him to get a win.

Wentz was injured all the time.

Guys like Mahomes, Watson, Brees, Brady, and Wilson all have no trade clauses. I think Garoppolo has one too.

Just now, MJS said:

Both guys had serious caveats. Goff never showed he could carry his team. He was clearly a system QB and always folded when it was on him to get a win.

Wentz was injured all the time.

Guys like Mahomes, Watson, Brees, Brady, and Wilson all have no trade clauses. I think Garoppolo has one too.

Got ya. I just figured that early in their careers (specifically Wentz), that he was considered a big time QB. I know he got injured at the end of the Super Bowl season they won. Wasn't sure how/what exactly his contract situation was.

But he definitely went down hill pretty quickly. 

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

A no trade clause is pretty standard for big time QB's these days.

I think that's correct.  Allen particularly, because he likes where he is and because he would care very much where he was sent.  So I think we'll see the no-trade clause.   

• Agree 1

Sure. If he wants one he can have one.

Not sure it's neccesary, but you never know. If I'm Beane, I have no interest in trading him, so if he wants a NTC it's not worth negotiating.

Seems like basically insurance for a potential new GM (like the Watson situation) and in that case it's not Beane's problem anymore, so yeah you give the guy a NTC no questions asked.

6 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

not a big deal, Watson signed his big extension with a NTC less than a year ago and he is waiving it to get the h out of h-town...funny how the player the can do this easily but a team just cant do it without player consent.

Where did you hear Watson is "waiving" his NTC?  The NTC isn't literally "no trade at all", it's "no trade without player approval"

Josh really likes that Buffalo took a chance on him, and he truly appreciates that, but he is no fool, there will be a no trade clause in his contract, especially if the FO wants him to lean toward a team friendly contract structure, jmo.

Edited by Don Otreply