Win big now, or lots of victories but no ring?

RangerDave

4 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I am so glad that the younger guys on this board are getting to feel what it is like to root for a good organization!  Many here were too young to appreciate the '90's Bills.  Those teams were so much fun to watch and root for.  Then, we hit the drought years.  Ugh!

My question is this.  Would you rather:

• Win the Super Bowl this year, but in the next 10-15 years we enter a period of drought where we end up 7-9 or worse every year.  Or,
  • Enter a 10-15 year period where we routinely win double digit games, make the playoffs almost every year, but never win the big one.

On one hand, the '90's teams won a LOT of games.  They also won a lot of playoff games.  For that decade, I walked into work on Mondays in a good mood.  It was a glorious period in Buffalo sports.  But every season ended in "disappointment" as we did not get a ring.

On the other hand, the drought years were miserable.  It was tough getting excited about each season.  It was gloomy on Mondays.  A demoralizing period in Buffalo sports.  The Bills, and Buffalo, were irrelevant to the sports world.

It is a hard choice for me.  I have longed to be on the winning side of a championship team my entire life.  I was only 2-3 when the Bills won their AFL Championships, so I can't say a team I rooted for won it all.  But, the '90s were so much fun.  Winning 10 to 15 games every year was great.  So what if we lost the one last game?  The year overall was still great.  And the drought years were so awful!  Can't we win JUST one???

Which would you choose?  Win big now but lose consistently later, or win consistently for a long period, but never a championship?

I'm 62, you guess my answer.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I am so glad that the younger guys on this board are getting to feel what it is like to root for a good organization!  Many here were too young to appreciate the '90's Bills.  Those teams were so much fun to watch and root for.  Then, we hit the drought years.  Ugh!

• Win the Super Bowl this year, but in the next 10-15 years we enter a period of drought where we end up 7-9 or worse every year.  Or,
  • Enter a 10-15 year period where we routinely win double digit games, make the playoffs almost every year, but never win the big one.

On one hand, the '90's teams won a LOT of games.  They also won a lot of playoff games.  For that decade, I walked into work on Mondays in a good mood.  It was a glorious period in Buffalo sports.  But every season ended in "disappointment" as we did not get a ring.

On the other hand, the drought years were miserable.  It was tough getting excited about each season.  It was gloomy on Mondays.  A demoralizing period in Buffalo sports.  The Bills, and Buffalo, were irrelevant to the sports world.

It is a hard choice for me.  I have longed to be on the winning side of a championship team my entire life.  I was only 2-3 when the Bills won their AFL Championships, so I can't say a team I rooted for won it all.  But, the '90s were so much fun.  Winning 10 to 15 games every year was great.  So what if we lost the one last game?  The year overall was still great.  And the drought years were so awful!  Can't we win JUST one???

Which would you choose?  Win big now but lose consistently later, or win consistently for a long period, but never a championship?

I'm only 40 yrs old, but I feel like I'm going to die in the next 13 yrs. 

Let me live baby. 

This morning I was thinking, what if someone had come to me and said “you can have a Super Bowl victory, but it will cost you a worldwide pandemic”?

Good thing I don’t deal in hypotheticals and didn’t make myself answer the question....

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Damn, you need to work on some more positive thinking. ;) 

At the very least, why can't your team be like Manning's Colts, Brees' Saints, Rodgers' Packers(so far), or Wilson's Seahawks(so far)?  Perennial contenders and 1 SB victory?

Even though the Bills aren't my favorite team, your lack of that 3rd option depresses me. 😆

I'm hoping you guys get at least 2 SB wins this decade.  After those 4 nightmares in the 90s, I think the football gods owe Buffalo at least that much.

28 minutes ago, blackngolddigger said:

Damn, you need to work on some more positive thinking. ;) 

At the very least, why can't your team be like Manning's Colts, Brees' Saints, Rodgers' Packers(so far), or Wilson's Seahawks(so far)?  Perennial contenders and 1 SB victory?

Even though the Bills aren't my favorite team, your lack of that 3rd option depresses me. 😆

I'm hoping you guys get at least 2 SB wins this decade.  After those 4 nightmares in the 90s, I think the football gods owe Buffalo at least that much.

I think almost everyone would agree that having one Super Bowl win among several playoff years would be the best option.  Giving that option would make the other two options certain losers in a poll and would make the question useless.  (Some think it is already useless enough!  😁

My only point to asking the question was whether you think winning the big one once is better than having a long term success, albeit without a championship.  There have been many good arguments on both sides, and I am still wavering on which side I fall on.  I usually lean toward "Just one before I croak!", but then bend toward "But winning a lot over a period of years was a lot of happiness in that time!"

Since I posed the question, I will take a stand:  Just win one, baby!

If I look at the question in the reverse, winning one now will make the previous drought tolerable.  Therefore, winning one now would make a future down period just as tolerable.  Here is to winning the championship now and multiple rings in the future!

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, RangerDave said:

Under the scenario the way you laid it out, I'll take the 10-15 years of double-digit wins but no championship.  I've enjoyed this season a lot -- winning a bunch of games and making a playoff run is fun.  I did not enjoy the drought -- being irrelevant by week 6 is not fun.

If it you shortened the post-championship refractory period to something more like 4-5 years, then I'd take the championship.

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I think this is how I feel about it too.

Plus, having already gone through this with the Boston Red Sox, I can tell you that you will forever be changed as a Bills fan once we do win a Super Bowl.

Those bad years that follow (in the OP's scenario) will be very easy to take when you can say "we won it all".

Once is enough, basically.  It's way different than "NEVER".

Now I’m starting to understand