Paying It Forward

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I haven’t exactly been the best person in life so this holiday season I’ve been trying.  Donated my old car to the national kidney foundation and plan on giving my aunt a very very generous Christmas gift.  She’s had a very hard year.  

How about you?  

Donating an actual kidney will get you more heaven points!  :)

This will probably be the Christmas with the least “stuff” in my entire life.  I have a Goodwill load in my backseat already. I’m there almost weekly. We don’t need more stuff. I’ll take experiences over stuff every day.  My sister traded the families Christmas and birthday stuff for a year and spent Christmas in Paris. Not a complete wash, but even a bad weather Christmas in Paris beats another old sweater that eventually finds it’s way to Goodwill. 

BUT, to your point,  my (other) sister and her husband came to visit recently. Both retired, they have every day of the week scheduled for something. They serve meals at Salvation Army a couple days a week, run the rummage sale at their church,  have a book sale every year that raises tens of thousands of dollars for tuition assistance, etc. I have plenty of time, and I hope I find more activities like that to keep me busy while helping others in some way in 2021 (which HAS TO BE better than 2020!). 

My son “won Christmas”. Instead of stuff, my wife always wants a letter from the kids and he gave her a beautiful letter when we celebrated Christmas last weekend. She keeps them in a box and they will NEVER be thrown out or taken to Goodwill. I was allowed to read it and it’s the best gift anyone could give. Tell the people in your life how you feel about them (unless it’s your crazy Aunt Edna, then you might want to keep your feelings to yourself).

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I haven’t exactly been the best person in life so this holiday season I’ve been trying.  Donated my old car to the national kidney foundation and plan on giving my aunt a very very generous Christmas gift.  She’s had a very hard year.  

How about you?  

Pic?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PastaJoe said:

local food bank

Today, I just sold a very large project (finally). Been a rough few months but others have it WAY worse, that's for sure.

I am about to donate to both the Freestore Foodbank here locally (in honor of our favorite NFL team that keeps helping the Bills out): https://freestorefoodbank.org/

I will also donate to a WNY food bank: https://www.feedmorewny.org/

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Another Fan said:

How about you?  

My 93 year old mother is suffering from this feeling now. She’s afraid she wasn’t “good enough” as she approaches her final years. News flash: NONE of us are perfect. We all try, we all do the best we can given our circumstances. 

I could go on and on, but instead I’ll suggest being the best “you” that you can offer going forward. Listen more, consider others more and give yourself a break. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.