Scenario where Bills may want to intentionally lose week 17

HappyDays

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

It’s a good thing that none of us are McDermott.

He might see last years result as a total failure for resting his starters in week 17 and he might go all out no matter what we think even if the Bills are locked into the #2.

You can easily risk losing your edge in this scenario too.

Look at the Ravens last year. They rested their starters in their season finale and this is what basically cost them against Tennessee.

When you argue against resting the starters to me its like saying the bye for the 1st seed is a bad thing IMO.

I think you really start losing an edge when good players get real banged up or injured in a game that may not mean much in the grand scheme of things.

Some chump with a bad attitude going after Allens legs from behind which has already come close to happening.

The Bills have been a much better team coming off the bye and getting healthy has had allot to do with it IMO. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, HappyDays said:

I actually just discovered a hiccup in my scenario. The Titans would also need to beat the Texans in Houston in week 17 for this to work. If the Titans beat the Packers and lose to the Texans, they would be the 7th seed and Miami would be 6th. If the Titans lose to the Packers AND the Texans they would drop out of the playoffs entirely and we would play Baltimore instead. So I still think we should rest starters week 17 if the #2 seed is clinched but then we'll be rooting for Tennessee that week as well.

I want the Tennessee and Baltimore COVIDs out of playoffs.  Accommodations made for those teams hurt Bills and Steelers respectively.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:33 PM, njbuff said:

Yeah, because resting the starters in week 17 last year worked out so well.

Nope, full balls to the wall from here on out.

If the Bills are as good as we think they are, it shouldn’t matter who they play and you are playing with fate when you rest your starters that aren’t injured.

Resting the starters last year had nothing to do with the loss against the Texans.   In fact, we did not finish December strong losing 3 of our 4 games...so there was zero momentum even before the Jets loss.