Cover1 Film Room on Pittsburgh game

For those who need something NFL football to occupy their time pre-kickoff

New "Live" format where they take questions from chat during the taping

Interesting idea, but annoying box with question shows up on bottom of screen and sticks there during some breakdown blocking some of the field.

Once again, wish they'd lose the extended intro with view after view of tiny stats illegible to many viewers.  If they must put up some stats, make a couple of slides with very simple uncluttered tables or bullet points.

Breakdown starts 17 minutes in

For the second week, it struck me that they spend a good bit of time criticizing Josh's decision making early in the game to go for a deep shot vs. taking a "move the chains" thing.  In hindsight, where we were having all kinds of trouble moving the chains in the first half, sure - but early in the game, is that Josh's decision or is that the play design?  It seems to me that may well be Daboll's coaching, and as long as it isn't a pick, is it a bad choice?  Good outcomes include a completion, a DPI, or defensive holding call. 

Clearly they're right that a "sure bet" short throw was available and there were a couple times after our struggles to move the chains were clear, when Allen passed up short, easy completions to Beasley or Singletary in favor of low probability "Kill Shots" deep downfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have no problem with Josh taking shots downfield.  Sometimes the home run connects. Also it loosens the D up knowing that play could kill them at any time. People that watch film can always look at the flipside of what could have been on any play.  Lets say he takes the easy throw and completes.  They can then look and say... look but he had a home run throw here he didn't take.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For those who need something NFL football to occupy their time pre-kickoff

New "Live" format where they take questions from chat during the taping

Interesting idea, but annoying box with question shows up on bottom of screen and sticks there during some breakdown blocking some of the field.

Once again, wish they'd lose the extended intro with view after view of tiny stats illegible to many viewers.  If they must put up some stats, make a couple of slides with very simple uncluttered tables or bullet points.

Breakdown starts 17 minutes in

For the second week, it struck me that they spend a good bit of time criticizing Josh's decision making early in the game to go for a deep shot vs. taking a "move the chains" thing.  In hindsight, where we were having all kinds of trouble moving the chains in the first half, sure - but early in the game, is that Josh's decision or is that the play design?  It seems to me that may well be Daboll's coaching, and as long as it isn't a pick, is it a bad choice?  Good outcomes include a completion, a DPI, or defensive holding call. 

Clearly they're right that a "sure bet" short throw was available and there were a couple times after our struggles to move the chains were clear, when Allen passed up short, easy completions to Beasley or Singletary in favor of low probability "Kill Shots" deep downfield.

Maybe I have the wrong guy, but wasn't this your criticism of Josh with your "in your head" post?  

Certainly there has to be a balance, but he still seems to, more often than not, take the low probability home run throw.  I don't know if they go over it, but that throw that ened with a PI on Knox he had Beasley for an easy first down throw. 

I'm torn on these. Love to see him hit some deep ones, but I'd also like to see him control the urge sometimes...

I haven't watched this one yet, but I wanted to point out they also did a Film Room segment specifically about Darryl Williams vs TJ Watt that was pretty neat. I rarely zero in on one offensive lineman throughout an entire broadcast, so seeing the Williams vs Watt matchup -- which was pivotal to the game's outcome -- in detail and with analysis was cool.

I'll look forward to watching this one.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Ben tried to "move the chains" and it didn't go so well for him. Just sayin'...

Right - the point is, defenses key in on gaps in the offensive game.  If a QB falls into the Ben R. pattern where he's playing "move the chains" ball and isn't taking deeper shots, defenses will key on that and it will bite Big Ben on the buttocks.  Add in not much need to worry about the run game and it's Chomp, Chomp.

Part of Allen's 'problem' with the deep ball right now IMO and part of the reason that Singletary and Knox (and Moss when used in that role) have enough green around them to plant a freakin' tree farm is that one of the "gaps" in our offensive game: defenses consider it a pretty sure bet that Allen will key on deep secondary routes when he rolls out, so there really isn't much need to worry about clamping down on the short stuff.

25 minutes ago, TPS said:

Maybe I have the wrong guy, but wasn't this your criticism of Josh with your "in your head" post?  

Certainly there has to be a balance, but he still seems to, more often than not, take the low probability home run throw.  I don't know if they go over it, but that throw that ened with a PI on Knox he had Beasley for an easy first down throw. 

I'm torn on these. Love to see him hit some deep ones, but I'd also like to see him control the urge sometimes...

Yep, that was me.

Well put.  I think Cover1 has a bee in their bonnet to criticize Josh for every deep shot when an easy underneath throw is open.  But balance in all things.  There have been several games where the adjustment between a struggling first half that sees us in a hole and a solid second half where we move the ball, is "controlling the urge sometimes" (whoever it belongs to - Allen or Daboll)

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I haven't watched this one yet, but I wanted to point out they also did a Film Room segment specifically about Darryl Williams vs TJ Watt that was pretty neat. I rarely zero in on one offensive lineman throughout an entire broadcast, so seeing the Williams vs Watt matchup -- which was pivotal to the game's outcome -- in detail and with analysis was cool.

Got a linky?

• Like (+1) 2

I like Cover 1 a lot, but they do carry on a bit much with their openings, gotta get to the point quicker, jmo.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

This.

Allen still has a penchant for trying for that home run when a move-the-chains option is available.

As long as teams are bringing the house and playing a mix of man and zone, there will be gaps near the sticks and if a defender misses there are long-gainers for the taking.

It's ok to remind teams that the kill shot is there, but job numero uno is to keep moving the sticks and score.

Allen has gotten much better at his short game and utilizing his outlet receivers. 

Also, if he hits the shallow routes enough then defenders are susceptible to the double move and kill shot.

Ok, I had to watch it to see if they talked about the Knox PI play, and they do a little after the 113 min mark.  I recall seeing a replay during the game where I saw Beasley open, however I wasn't completely sure at the time because there was a figure running behind him which turned out to be a sideline judge.  The video here shows that it's quite possible Beasley could've taken it to the house, he was that open.  Just shows that Josh has a lot of room to grow. 

I imagine these kinds of plays has Daboll pulling his hair out, at least if he had any...