Pre game anthem problems

millbank

Canada and U.S.A played a tuneup game tonight for hockey world championships

interesting happenings before game as singer attempted national anthem from notes

NOTES - The pre-game national anthems were not sung after the singer, Caroline Marcil of Montreal, tried twice to complete the Star Spangled Banner but forgot the words each time. Finally, she decided to go back toward the dressing room, presumably to get the words, but when she returned to the ice the carpet slipped out from underneath her and she fell on her rear end. It was then decided to proceed with the opening faceoff without the singing of either anthem . . . :rolleyes:

hockey

NOTES - The pre-game national anthems were not sung after the singer, Caroline Marcil of Montreal, tried twice to complete the Star Spangled Banner but forgot the words each time. Finally, she decided to go back toward the dressing room, presumably to get the words, but when she returned to the ice the carpet slipped out from underneath her and she fell on her rear end. It was then decided to proceed with the opening faceoff without the singing of either anthem . . .  :rolleyes:

hockey

313395[/snapback]

I really don't want to...but I can't help it :):lol::huh: Oh man, that is good. Here's a story with an accompanying photo of Ms. Marcil trying to get back up after falling. http://www.canada.com/news/national/story....6c-7d6e9ac879bb :huh::lol:

Canada and U.S.A played a tuneup game tonight  for hockey world championships

interesting happenings before game as singer attempted national anthem from notes

NOTES - The pre-game national anthems were not sung after the singer, Caroline Marcil of Montreal, tried twice to complete the Star Spangled Banner but forgot the words each time. Finally, she decided to go back toward the dressing room, presumably to get the words, but when she returned to the ice the carpet slipped out from underneath her and she fell on her rear end. It was then decided to proceed with the opening faceoff without the singing of either anthem . . .  :lol:

hockey

313395[/snapback]

Damn french people!! They make the rest of Canada look bad time and time again... between them and the newfies (people from Newfoundland) no wonder all you americans think we're so friggin backward! :w00t: I swear to all that's holy, when my kids have all left home for university.. I'm moving to Buffalo, NY about 10 mins. away from wherever RW Stadium is located by then!!! :D

Does anyone know if any of the games are going to be televised in the US????

313602[/snapback]

The USA Hockey site have audio of games. Notice for instance Sunday

USA plays Canada for the World CHampionship under 18 at 11:00 am. These games have been very good

USA Hockey

Damn french people!! They make the rest of Canada look bad time and time again... between them and the newfies (people from Newfoundland) no wonder all you americans think we're so friggin backward! :w00t: I swear to all that's holy, when my kids have all left home for university.. I'm moving to Buffalo, NY about 10 mins. away from wherever RW Stadium is located by then!!! :lol:

313607[/snapback]

To be fair, I'd say 98 percent of Americans think they know the words to the Anthem when probably only 50 percent do. The key it's sung in (the words were plopped into an old English drinking tune) doesn't help the flow.

To say nothing of the nervous pressure singing before 20K+ people. Try it sometime and see how you do. It's for this reason I don't judge. But they should have gotten someone else to sing them in her stead.

...but when she returned to the ice the carpet slipped out from underneath her and she fell on her rear end. It was then decided to proceed with the opening faceoff without the singing of either anthem . . .  ;)

hockey

313395[/snapback]

Fitting metaphor for the state of hockey.... :lol:

I saw her interview last night. She was very embarrassed. She is French, from Quebec and has a beautiful voice. She said it was a combination of nerves and crowd noise. Then when she returned and slipped on the ice, she was just too shaken to go back out there.

I feel sorry for her. It was a very ungraceful fall.