What is Wrong With the Defense

The DL has been bad. The players that returned from last year, Hughes, Oliver, Murphy, Phillips have all regressed and Star opted out. Picking up players from the used Panthers pile haven't matched J.Phillips or Lawson.

LB - Edmunds has regressed, Milano has been either hurt and out or hurt and playing anyway. Klein has not replaced Lorax.

CB - White isn't playing like he is capable of, Taron Johnson has regressed, Norman is sometimes good but often not so much.

S - Neither Poyer or Hyde are playing as well as they have in the past.

This defense has a lot of talent, why are so many of these talented players regressing this year. Something changed and it needs to go back to what it was.

On 10/20/2020 at 10:10 AM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think they're light in the pants. 

Oliver is not a poor-man's Aaron Donald, he is just a 280 pound DT that gets shoved around and is able to get a mop-up chase down sack once in awhile. 

Hughes is 30+ years old, Murphy is 30+ years old, Addison is 30+ years old. 

Jefferson and Phillips are just guys. 

At linebacker and corner the Bills lack of depth has been exposed. We keep waiting for Edmunds to make an impact, but he looks like a good athlete with no instincts. Tre White is not as dominant this season, Josh Norman shouldn't be on an NFL field. 

That about wraps it up I’ve been saying this and I will add Hughes had two good years in buffalo his been fell off I don’t think I’ve ever seen one player get by this long because he had two good years in 13/14.  P.s we’re in for a long year on Defense and hope we can get some guys next year 

Same things that were wrong with them that we've discussed in all the other threads.

Star was way more important than many thought and he opted out too late to replace him in free agency.

Matt Milano is also way way more important to this defense than many thought and he's out.

Injuries have reduced the effectiveness of two other key guys, Edmunds and Oliver significantly. And playing Oliver at 1-tech, as they did for much of the KC game is a sure way to make him much less productive as well. Playing him at 1-tech shows they're having real trouble finding a 1-tech. It's these kind of knock-on effects of the problems above that have consequences elsewhere.

Injuries at CB have hurt, and people are ignoring it. Losing Levi Wallace hurts an awful lot. Now Norman has a hamstring. Tre has been in and out and hasn't been quite as effective even when he's in.

That's a lot of injuries and at key positions.

Pass rush blues as well. It appears that Hughes may be getting older, finally. And some of the new guys are not quite fitting in or doing their job as well as they'd hoped and also to the new holding penalty moratorium which values a certain type of rusher over others. The holding thing looks to me to be a huge part of this.

Taron Johnson wasn't great last year but he seems to have regressed a bit and the Pats moved fast on Dugger, and Delpit was gone too. They may regret not taking Chinn in the 2nd round. He's playing pretty well in Carolina.

The system is complex but the injury problems, the no Lotulelei problem, the CB problems especially seem to be causing problems that make players try to do too much. Ripple effect starts affecting everyone else.

Edited by Thurman#1

McDermott benching Murphy and Harrison reminded me of Levy  refusing to play rookie Henry Jones against Washington in the second Super Bowl even though our safeties sucked, and later benching run stuffers John Parrella and James Patton in the last Super Bowl when Dallas ran the ball down our throats. Murphy and Harrison might not have been playing well, but they're probably our best linemen against the run. Fine not to start them--send a message--but to inactivate them? No hindsight is needed to see this as just bad coaching, especially on a rainy day when it was pretty likely the Chiefs would try to run the ball.