What are the options for immediate in-season personnel moves?

DollaBills

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

He didn't miss his first one if recall and tonight miss wasn't a gimme. It's called cutting a kicker too early see Dustin Hopkins whose had a good career since we cut him.

He is 6/10 on the year and has given no sign of looking like a even decent kicker.  They also cut Chase McLaughlin at one point.  Go get him back.  Or dont, whatever maybe score more points.  The thread title was who can you sign to improve the team.  Along with a lot of areas kicker is an issue.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The issue in this one was up front.  Some of the "late processing" is by design.  If you are in zone in an RPO you can't just fill your gap because now your zone is vacated.  Our lines inability to disrupt rush lanes allows linemen to get to the 2nd level and block linebackers.  Butler stinks.  Zimmer stinks.  Phillips stinks.  The heavy set with butler and zimmer would still get pushed completely out of their gaps.  Could have ray lewis and it wouldn't matter. 

Who would you sign?  Jax is on like their 4th kicker this year and already cut hauschka.  It's not like the available players are any good.

i said it.  Id sign McLaughlin off of the Vikings practice squad.

@MAJBobby for the PS players, doesn't the current team have the right if claimed by another to sign him to their own active roster or is that not happening this year? Snacks would be a nice get but would Seattle not put him on the active roster?

1 hour ago, DollaBills said:

What is he worth? Are we trading future picks for immediate gambles?

Any team can claim a PS player on another team without compensation, but they must elevate that player to the 53.  Christian Wade is exempt, he's indentured to the Bills for the remainder of the season.  Edit, apparently, by Tuesday each week, a team can protect up to 4 players on their PS without elevating them to their own 53.  So I'm guessing Snacks would be on Seattle's protected list.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

1 hour ago, DollaBills said:

Winning AFC East would feel great. Home playoff game would be great. But we are on a clock with Allen's contract, need to figure something out soon personnel wise

I agree. The most important player to evaluate on this team is Allen. Is he the 4-0 guy who pundits are talking about a possible mvp or is he rookie Josh we've seen against Tenn. & KC?  I'm happy for his year 3 development/improvement, but I need more consistency. And realize just because we play the Jets isn't going to magically disguise the problems on this team. Contracts are coming up. Who to keep. Who to let go?

23 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

@MAJBobby for the PS players, doesn't the current team have the right if claimed by another to sign him to their own active roster or is that not happening this year? Snacks would be a nice get but would Seattle not put him on the active roster?

So pu Snacks. It's not like Star ever coming back this season. Without a space eater, Oliver is completely lost. Figure out who wants to make plays on defense and who doesn't. After tonight we're still giving up 28 pts/game. And that combined with ZERO running game, puts tons of pressure on Josh. The Titans & Chiefs blitzed all day. 

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

So pu Snacks. It's not like Star ever coming back this season. Without a space eater, Oliver is completely lost. Figure out who wants to make plays on defense and who doesn't. After tonight we're still giving up 28 pts/game. And that combined with ZERO running game, puts tons of pressure on Josh. The Titans & Chiefs blitzed all day. 

I with you. I just don't know if Seattle would let him go or have things changed and they don't have a choice? I guess only one way to find out.

10 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Yes they still can. However they also have to do a roster move. Only thing to do is try it. If Seattle does elevate they will have to cut someone and maybe that roster move will also be someone we could use. 

9 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yep. TBH it doesn’t need to be Snacks. Can be any 2 Gap 1 Tech space eater that is effective. I chose Snacks because it wouldn’t cost anything more than a contract. But something like the McClendon trade that TB did. Get that 2 gap 1Tech and get Oliver back to penetrating. 

10 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Any team can claim a PS player on another team without compensation, but they must elevate that player to the 53.  Christian Wade is exempt, he's indentured to the Bills for the remainder of the season.  Edit, apparently, by Tuesday each week, a team can protect up to 4 players on their PS without elevating them to their own 53.  So I'm guessing Snacks would be on Seattle's protected list.

Yes so you work the contract before Tuesday. They are only protected from Tuesday 4PM to end of the game week so Sunday majority of times. So you have Monday and all day Tuesday before 4PM to get the deal done before protection. 

now if they elevate (and he chooses it) so be it. But the lack of a true 1Tech 2 gapping DT actually hurts both DT spots because Oliver plays out of position. They thought Phillips could do it because of his early success last year but in 2020 so far he is showing he cannot. 

The Bills need to get healthy and get Milano back.  There is not much you can do right now.  The goal needs to be to win the AFC East and win a playoff game.  They need to make some move in the offseason to make the jump to elite status.  They need a pass rusher and run stopper.

Now is not the time to stand pat on defense. 5  straight games with this roster is not a fluke. Poor drafting and FA signings, and letting good talent go, by McBean are hurting us. There are obvious major problems with the level of talent on our defensive roster. New blood is needed. Our defensive roster clearly is substandard. Our SB window is now open, it won't stay open for more than a year or two before the cap will cause us to make tough choices and give up some of the important pieces of the team that help make us competitive. The time is now!