This seems like the bizarro Bills world..... Offense expected to pick up a bad defense

After years (well pretty much 20) of seeing a much stronger defense then offense, the script is flipped.

How often we'd actaully be happy the Offense made no mistakes, maybe generated two-three first downs and hopefully pinned the opposition deep with confidence that the Defense would do their job.

Yesterday we were thrilled that the Defense could make a single stop.  Tennessee converted 6 of 10 third downs (and one 4th down).  Two punts the first half & one after a long drive the second half.  

Very unnerving and a different feeling when you are confident the Offense can perform & expect just 2-3 more stops from the Defense.

Edited by Billsfan1972

I'm sure there are explanations, but it always seems that it's a struggle for every NFL team to have both a top offense and defense in the same season. In our case it doesn't seem logical, since the Defense is mostly intact from last season, including all key players, plus the same system, etc.... I thought perhaps it was a product of playing soft to protect the lead in the previous games, but that wouldn't make sense in yesterday's game.

Anyhow it has been super fun to watch our Bills so far this season, and I'm sure the combination of 4 games on film, plus Vrabel's extra week to prepare helped them to shut down our offense.

Looking forward to a match against another juggernaut next week! Let's go Bills

18 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

After years (well pretty much 20) of seeing a much stronger defense then offense, the script is flipped.

How often we'd actaully be happy the Offense made no mistakes, maybe generated two-three first downs and hopefully pinned the opposition deep with confidence that the Defense would do their job.

Yesterday we were thrilled that the Defense could make a single stop.  Tennessee converted 6 of 10 third downs (and one 4th down).  Two punts the first half & one after a long drive the second half.  

Very unnerving and a different feeling when you are confident the Offense can perform & expect just 2-3 more stops from the Defense.

This post is kind of ironic since you don't care what the defense does  as long as QB gets 300 yards.

Just now, prissythecat said:

This post is kind of ironic since you don't care what the defense does  as long as QB gets 300 yards.

He doesn't care if the Bills win or lose; he's said he'd rather see them lose with over 300 yards passing than win with less than 300 yards passing.

21 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

In your world, 15 more yards through the air and that would have been a more enjoyable game to watch than a 17-14 Bills win.

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I personally would rather see 300 yard passing games coupled with a defense that shows up to play. But I'm asking for too much I guess...

Yeah, the defense missed Tre and Milano.  But they have to defend the middle of the field better.  I was glad that Henry didn't go nuts, but that's more because they (and other teams) have seen they can throw against us.

Maybe this game will light a fire under them for the Chiefs. After losing to the Raiders I know the Chiefs going to be mad. Definitely going to have to match their intensity.

Another thing this defense is boring. Rarely blitz and everything looks vanilla. Hopefully scheme improves throughout the year. Not to thrilled with Frazier right now. Better to have this type of loss early in the year. Hopefully they are humbled and get back to work.

53 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Blaming the loss primarily on the defense is weak. They gave up TD drives of 16, 30, 90, 12, 75 and 18 yards.  Three Titans drives started inside the red zone and one at our 30.  I’m not saying that the defense shouldn’t have forced some FG attempts or played better, but the offense (and Specials) did them no favors.  Oh and let’s not ignore the fact that the offense was only missing Brown while the defense was missing its two starting CBs and Milano while playing against a team that forces defenses to stack the box and play man on the outside. The defense still deserves some blame, but there is a lot to go around.  

I was frustrate of the Defense first mentality and the Bills ranking 30,29 & 24th the first three years with McD, with little effort (as I saw it) toi address it, be aggressive on Offense and frankly do what every team is capable of annually to throw for 300 yards.  McD did not do that once in 3 years and seemed over & over to talk about playing "field position & not turning the ball over".

The Bills last had a top 10 offense in 2000 (#9).

I said simply said & don't deny it, that the Bills were a very difficult watch particularly the past 3 years (and you'll say 2 playoff losses & I'll say 25-23 record) as they were so inept on offense.