Postgame Thread: Bills at Titans

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Since this is a postgame thread ... https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/13/2020-titans-match-a-feat-last-accomplished-by-the-2007-patriots/

According to NFL Research, the Titans became the first team to score a touchdown on every red-zone possession (with a minimum of six), commit no turnovers, and allow zero sacks since Week 11 of the 2007 season, when the Patriots did it to the Bills during a 56-10 blowout.

There’s another link, beyond the fact that the Bills were on the wrong side of each game: Mike Vrabel coaches the Tennessee team that pulled it off, and he played for the 2007 Patriots.

Embarrasing

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The key problem to me with regard to the Bills' pass D is that they simply can't generate consistent pressure with their front four, and none of their LBs coming are difference makers as pass rushers either. LorAx was a good pass rusher, but none of they guys they have now at LB can get to the passer with any regularity. Milano is the best, and he's been banged up all season. People praise Harrison Phillips as a good run stopper, but the guy he replaced from last year -- Jordan Phillips - could actually bring the QB down. Sure, he'd blow some running plays, but sacks destroy drives.

The Bills have 8 sacks through 5 games, which works out to 25 and a half sacks over the course of the season. That is TERRIBLE, and in line with their worst ever since they started keeping the stat (they had 26 in 1984 and 25 in 1985, and they were 2-14 both times). Relatedly, opposing offenses have a collective QB rating of 103.6 (a team stat that factors in lost sack yardage), which is the worst in team history by 10.1 points (1984 was the previous worst). Even factoring in the crazy passing stats now, that is truly abysmal.    

One other note: the corners they rolled out last night are not good. Josh Norman is feisty but he's not good anymore. He had that one unicorn season in 2015, but he's been sub-average ever since. Note that he got burned on press coverage last night: https://www.pff.com/news/pro-the-redskins-are-looking-for-more-from-josh-norman-in-2019.  

McD has always been a proponent of getting pressure with the front 4 and not so much on the blitz.  I get it and am will not disagree with that philosophy, although he has changed when the situation required more pressure.  We're at that point now.  LBs aren't used to rush the passer in his defense, and, to your point, none are capable of getting to the QB.  Perhaps Edmunds, but he's banged up to and they seem reluctant to feature him as a pass-rusher.

An issue I'm seeing from McD on defense is he's more into getting his guys who'll fit in his scheme but are not as talented.  The DL is a prime example in that some are OK, but not going to make impactful plays.  Phillips, Jefferson, Butler, Murphy...to me they're JAGs.  I'd put Star (when he didn't opt out) on that list.  The 2 guys he had to figure could be difference makers - Edmunds and Oliver - are anything but. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, Chandler#81 said:

Ok. You’ve vented enough. Now be a good boy and go to bed.

He made 2 good plays and may be a good player, but he sucks?😳 Wtf, man? It’s past your bed time as well. Get the Hell upstairs. Now!

I meant it sucked that Murphy is getting snaps he could be getting, not that he sucks