Cody Ford at LG; Quinton Spain benched

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly think they prefer Winters as a run blocker and wanted to go run heavy in the plan.

I think that's exactly what it was about. They seem willing to move guys in and out at the same position depending on matchups.

I'm looking for them to be doing something tactically similar in regards to Epenesa and Trent Murphy going forward.

8 hours ago, Simon said:

I think that's exactly what it was about. They seem willing to move guys in and out at the same position depending on matchups.

I'm looking for them to be doing something tactically similar in regards to Epenesa and Trent Murphy going forward.

I have a feeling this isn’t a one time thing. I think Spain, though not a bad pass blocker, struggles in space blocking in the run game  and with the way the Bills want to run the ball with their interior OL on the move - combined with Spain not having position versatility, once Feliciano returns, Spain is probably going to be traded barring an injury on the interior OL. I think they want Ford at LG and Feliciano at RG. 

19 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He was their most consistent offensive lineman last year, so they have him an extension for modest money that they can easily get out of. What’s the problem?

Especially considering its really just a one year, 5.7 mill deal. They can save 4 mill next year and almost 5 mill in 2022 by moving on. For a starting OG that’s a great deal. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This mirrors what a lot of folks here noted after drafting Ford, and confirmed watching his college tape and his play with the Bills.

He (currently) lacks the lateral foot speed to play in space and take the right angles to negate edge rushers as a RT, or to be a really effective pulling guard from the RG spot.

His most natural fit would be at LG where pass-pro is faster, but is more about proper leverage than lateral speed and angles, and generally less pulling and more straight-forward blocking on run plays where Ford can be a mauler once he gets into a defender's pads.

I like this about our coaching staff. They evaluate and demonstrate the capacity to evolve to get players into the best position where they can grow, be more effective, and help the team.

I like Spain and am a little surprised about his benching...

I think if he is not in their plans to start then I believe that Beane will think he is getting paid too much to be on the bench...

They have Feliciano off contract at the end of the year who I would like to see them Re-sign, so would suggest if that happens then Spain probably gets traded in the next off season..

Williams is probably going to be hard to retain so they might be drafting a RT early in 2021..

Was Spain playing poorly? I think LG might be Ford's best position but then why not flex out Spain to RG? From my eye test I am much more impressed with what Spain has done than what Winters has done. Then again with how this team likes to rotate O-line players it might make sense to have Spain just play a bunch of snaps at both.