Masters Golf Tournament Ticket Lottery...

LabattBlue

Now I know why I never win the lottery even for a practice round.  This guy got caught, but how many scammers(ticket brokers) out there do not get caught?  At secondary market prices north of $1000 for any of the 4 rounds, I'm sure the scalpers are just licking there chops, and doing anything possible in order to win the lottery.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29887153/man-gets-federal-prison-masters-ticket-scheme

On a related side note, have you or anyone you know, ever been selected for tickets via the lottery?  I've been trying for 10 years or so...no luck yet.

My buddies and I are all in the lottery every year, but rarely win. We are all in Atlanta.

However, I have a friend up in Amherst, NY (registered for the lottery with an Amherst zip code), and he wins tickets like clockwork every stinking year.

Makes us think they do prioritize 1. Out of towners, from 2. "Fancy" neighborhoods.

My boss’ best friend was a very successful doctor in Charleston, SC. He thought it would be a good idea to forge some Masters passes since he wasn’t able to get in any other way. He got caught and totally effed up his cushy life. OOPS! Do NOT mess with some of the most powerful people in this country. They don’t think it’s cute. 

I’ve been once (a Thursday), and that was amazing, but I don’t have to go again. Just a practice round would be amazing as the course is the draw for me more than any one years’ tournament. We got the passes from family friends and had to drive them to Columbia, SC before heading home to hand them over so they could go the rest of the week. Well worth the extra time in the car. 

P.S. - one thing TV can not possibly convey is the crazy topography. Seeing it in person is the only way to fully appreciate it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

My boss’ best friend was a very successful doctor in Charleston, SC. He thought it would be a good idea to forge some Masters passes since he wasn’t able to get in any other way. He got caught and totally effed up his cushy life. OOPS! Do NOT mess with some of the most powerful people in this country. They don’t think it’s cute. 

I’ve been once (a Thursday), and that was amazing, but I don’t have to go again. Just a practice round would be amazing as the course is the draw for me more than any one years’ tournament. We got the passes from family friends and had to drive them to Columbia, SC before heading home to hand them over so they could go the rest of the week. Well worth the extra time in the car. 

P.S. - one thing TV can not possibly convey is the crazy topography. Seeing it in person is the only way to fully appreciate it. 

The craziest thing to me, going for the first time, is what a dumpy part of town the course is in.

I thought we'd be driving out of Augusta a bit, and into the rolling GA countryside.

Nope. It's pretty much like driving down crappy parts of Transit Road in Depew, then all of a sudden there is a 8ft concrete wall, and behind it is the most beautiful golf course in the world. Surrounded by a quarry and some crappy plazas iirc.

So weird.

• Like (+1) 2

I used to win quite frequently (practice rounds) when you had to mail in your submission (so early/mid 2000s.) I haven’t won ever since it’s gone to online submission. My dad has won practice round tix a few times in the last decade and a close friend won Saturday passes 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The craziest thing to me, going for the first time, is what a dumpy part of town the course is in.

I thought we'd be driving out of Augusta a bit, and into the rolling GA countryside.

Nope. It's pretty much like driving down crappy parts of Transit Road in Depew, then all of a sudden there is a 8ft concrete wall, and behind it is the most beautiful golf course in the world. Surrounded by a quarry and some crappy plazas iirc.

So weird.

But they have a fine dining establishment called Hooters, and if your lucky you might run into that golf legend John Daly who is making money these days by playing putt putt in the parking lot where his big bus is parked! I’m not sure how may stars that place has, but it was hoppin’ when we were going by. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

But they have a fine dining establishment called Hooters, and if your lucky you might run into that golf legend John Daly who is making money these days by playing putt putt in the parking lot where his big bus is parked! I’m not sure how may stars that place has, but it was hoppin’ when we were going by. 

That is why Tiger and Vijay make the drive back to Atlanta and go to Nan Thai on 17th St by Atlantic Station. They even have their own tables there, with little plaques and all.

Nan has been around forever, so I assume a man-about-town such as yourself is well familiar. But if you haven't been, GO! Best Thai in the city.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been trying for years to win some, no luck yet. I did get the opportunity to buy some US open tickets for Kiawah next year and was planning on going since I got to play it a couple years ago. By the time my window rolled around, only practice rounds and Thursday were left, so didn’t end up pulling the trigger. 

12 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I've been in the lottery for the past 7 years. Never won yet. 

My buddy has won and has sold the practice rounds for nearly $900 per ticket. Crazy.

YIKES!!!

Our friends used to go for practice rounds in the 80’s and I always said “oh, yeah, well I’ll go next year” and never did. I know they didn’t pay anything like that, even adjusted for inflation....we were all young and poor. Long time ago, of course. 

How does it work? Do you put your name in for a certain day, or just put your name in and take what you get (or, more likely, don’t get)?  

In 2007 the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox were all in the hunt for the playoff spots, so I entered the lotteries for each of them and ended up going to game 7 of the ALCS in Fenway.

My most recent experience with a lottery was last winter to get tickets to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.  Aside from the half-day I spent tending to the queue, then getting booted from the purchase screen and having to start all over again, you really don't want to know what that cost for 5 seats.   :doh:

Me and a few buddies enter the lottery every year.  I won tickets for Tuesday in 2017.  It was definitely a bucket list item and I would definitely go again.  

I will say this - the access to the players and grounds was AMAZING because it was a practice round.  With that said - from a competitive standpoint, it was slightly boring because you'd see a guy hit a shot into a green and then they would put a bunch of little pods around the green and putt to all of the different potential hole locations.  The general highlight was watching the players and caddies skip balls across the pond on 16.  The specific highlight for us was the dumb luck of walking up on what we were told was a big money game - Couples, Vijay, Stricker and Furyk.  We followed them for 4-5 holes.  I remember on one hole, Freddy's ball was resting on a sprinkler head and he just rolled it off.  Vijay was legitimately pissed and was like "what the hell are you doing???"...hahaha