Denver & Washington swap picks

KRT88

Wouldn't Matt Jones be a huge gamble in the first round.

I could see it if they already had great wideouts on the team .

Then draft Jones as another weapon.

I guess if I were the bills at #25 I might take a chance on him.

But I have Eric Moulds and Lee Evans

Which makes more sense if things didn't go as planned.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.redskins.com/uploads/files/JHCM...0On%20Trade.mp3

here is the redskins official explaination.  (Audio file).  They say they paid less than the Bills for the 1st rnd pick.

Also sounds like they are in a war with the local media.  They dont think much of Phillip Buchannan either.

309816[/snapback]

The Bills traded a future first round pick in a weak draft (2005) as opposed to the Skins who gave up a first in what looks like a strong one (2006). How many folks bet Washington's #1 pick next year will be a lot higher than the 20th slot the Bills gave up this year?

Sound like Gibbs got out-voted on this move by Cerrato (a "yes" man if there ever was one) and Danny-boy. I hope Gibbs takes as much of Snyder's money as he can get and retires next year, just like Spurrier. Who knows, maybe that famous coaching genius, GW, might get the job! :rolleyes:B-)

Gibbs, Cerrato Clash Over Plans for Top Pick

Statements Raise Questions Over Who Is Running Redskins

By Jason LaCanfora and Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, April 19, 2005; 4:19 PM

The Washington Redskins issued a series of contradictory statements today about whether they were willing to trade their first-round pick in Saturday's NFL draft, adding to the uncertainty about the fate of the selection and raising questions about who is running the team.

Coach Joe Gibbs found himself in the odd position of refuting a statement released earlier in the day by vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato and a story on the team's own Web site.

The relationship between vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato, owner Dan Snyder and Joe Gibbs, above, has been controversial because the team does not have a general manager to handle personnel issues. (Jonathan Newton - The Washington Post)

The team's Web site, matching a news release sent out by the team this morning, reported that the Redskins "will use their first-round pick to select a player in this weekend's upcoming draft" and Cerrato said, "We are not trading that pick."

But in his own statement Gibbs provided one of those contrary reports when he said the team will "consider anything."

"Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes, we'll consider anything," Gibbs said. Team officials said Gibbs was unavailable to be interviewed because he was out of the office.

As team president, Gibbs has final say on all personnel decisions. Gibbs said on Friday that the Redskins were discussing trade scenarios with "four or five teams" and that trading down was possible. He reiterated that Monday.

The Washington Post, citing league sources, reported this morning that the team is exploring several trade scenarios and one involved obtaining Oakland Raiders cornerback Philip Buchanon and the Raiders' second-round pick, the 38th overall, for Washington's first-round pick.

This morning, the Post contacted another source with direct knowledge of the discussions who confirmed that the Redskins and Raiders had talked about a deal for Buchanon and that the Raiders favored the deal.

The Associated Press this afternoon confirmed the Redskins-Raiders talks about Buchanon but said the Redskins might trade a lower-round pick for Buchanon. But the Redskins don't have second-round pick and few starting NFL cornerbacks in their prime can be had for anything lower.

Cerrato has denied since Thursday that the Redskins have even talked to the Raiders about Buchanon, saying "there is no truth to it."

The structure of the Redskins' front office has long been a source of controversy. The team is run by the triumvirate of Cerrato, owner Dan Snyder and Gibbs and does not have a general manager, which critics say is to blame for the team's inability to make the playoffs since 1999.

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles believed he had been promised his release by the team's front office in January and instead said he was threatened by Snyder when Coles refused to immediately accept a trade.

Coles was eventually traded to the Jets.

Linebacker LaVar Arrington remains mired in a dispute with the front office over a $6.5 million bonus payment he believes the team agreed to give him but then left out of his contract. A date has not been set for Arrington's grievance hearing against the team.

I personally don't think it's that bad of a trade for the Skins, as if I'm their GM I take Shawne Merriman with pick 9 and then a CB like Justin Miller with pick 25 which could give GW's defense some added weapons to put them around .500 which was good enough to make the playoffs in the NFC last season. To me the Moss for Coles trade was far worse.

Sporting News Radio is reporting that the Redskins are trying to parlay #9 and #25 to move up to select WR Braylan Edwards. Their source is Mike Florio at Profootballtalk.com

He'll be on in a few minutes @ 10:25pm eastern Tuesday.

309865[/snapback]

B-):rolleyes:

Oh man...Sporting News needs to get better sources than Mr. "Hey, 1 out of 50 correct stories aint bad!"

The Redskins now have Plaxico, Owens, and Keyshawn in their division. They need a tall, young (i.e., not Shawn Springs) CB - and he HAS to come this draft day. That's why PFT's "report" is bogus - the 'Skins will either take a CB round 1, or trade for Nate. Lead pipe lock.

What i love so much about this trade is that it doesn't make TD's trade from last year look half bad at all. We traded a 1,2,5 for JP. They are going to trade a 1,3,4 for Campbell (if you beleive the hype). They did this in a weaker (not completely weak) first round and for a QB that doesn't have all the skills that i feel JP has. That being said, Campbell is a winner and i like winners so good luck to him if he falls to the skins, maybe he can get that team above .500 sometime before 2010.

Washington has to be the dumbest team of all time.  I think everyone but themselves knows they're not going to be good next year so why trade next years first??  There is no chance Washington's first next year is going to be higher the 25th pick.  Denver makes out great though.

309691[/snapback]

you are correct sir..... YES!!!

Sporting News Radio is reporting that the Redskins are trying to parlay #9 and #25 to move up to select WR Braylan Edwards. Their source is Mike Florio at Profootballtalk.com

He'll be on in a few minutes @ 10:25pm eastern Tuesday.

309865[/snapback]

maybe they will trade the #9 and a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder (that they got in the trade), to the fins to get edwards.

then they still have the #35 pick.

but i thaught for sure the broncoes would draft a TE.

Good move by Denver. They don't see anyone they like in the first round, so why not wait until next year when the draft offers more promise. They are giving up a 25... to get a 4th and a 1st next year. And how much do you want to bet that that 1st round pick next year will be in the top 10?

This makes NO sense....why would washington want to give up a whole lot to get the 25th pick when they have NO IDEA who is giong to be available there.  why not wait until draft day?  Odd...Good move by denver however

309709[/snapback]

What did they give up? They swapped first round picks, two this year rather than one this year and one in 2006. That is just what we did to get Losman. All they gave up is a 3rd and a 4th. We gave up a 2nd which had about the same value as a 3rd and 4th combined. They want that QB from Auburn I think it is, Campbell? They didn't give up "a whole lot" and really, this deal is almost a replay of the deal TD made last year for which he was praised as the most brilliant GM in the modern era on this board. Now when some other team does it the TBD collective renounces it as insanity.

Without reading any responses to this thread yet, let me just say that Joe Gibbs has officially lost it.  WTF?

310095[/snapback]

Rethink that criticism for a second. How different is this from the very same deal we made last year? They want that QB from Auburn who they rate as high as Smith just like we rated Losman up there with Big Ben. They didn't lose a first round pick, they just moved next year's pick up a year, just like we did. All they really lost was a 3rd and 4th rounder and we gave up a 2nd rounder which in terms of value is at least on a par with a 3rd and 4th combined. The only problem for them is that they pulled it off now instead of just before Denver's pick when they could be absolutely sure that Campbell was still on the board. However, they are probably correct in assuming that no one above 25 is going to take him.

I don't understand why it was brilliant when we did it and complete idiocy when Washington did the same freaking thing. If you think a 2nd is worth more than a 3rd and 4th, they actually made out better.