Sign in to follow this  
Royale with Cheese

Michael Lombardi "Bills have a huge hole at QB".

On 6/29/2020 at 12:34 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

This stat.  This and 4th quarter comebscks.  We scored 19 points/ game with one of the best defenses in the NFL.  Aaron Rodgers lost 15 tds to Aaron Jones.  Brees lost a ton of tds to Ingram and Murray the last 2 years.   Such an overrated stat.  

fun stat.  JP Losman was top 10 in tds in 2006.

Dude go look at the other guys on the list surrounding Allen on that total td list. As a general rule it’s made up of real good qb’s at the top. Are you really arguing that total tds is an overrated stat? Seriously? Geez. 

you really will do anything it takes to discredit his solid sophomore campaign. I’m sure you’ve already stated in this thread(because you have all offseason) how easy the schedule was last year and how it was a flukey 10-6 to begin with. It’s sort of your thing. 

you and a handful of others consistently make it a point make sure the rest of us realize how truly unimpressive last year really was. Thanks so much for being the “realist” for us around here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BananaB said:

Actually there was until we ran into 3 top 5 defences in our final 4 weeks of play. 

19 points in 5 quarters against Houstons defense.... the same defense that gave up 50 plus the next week. 

I'll be skeptical about the offense until I see it on the field. Just not a fan of Daboll.

Edited by ScottLaw

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2020 at 10:41 AM, Bangarang said:

Michael Lombardi and Cian Fahey are probably lovers.

Bangarang, my good friend... you are spot on per usual!

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

24 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

Bangarang, my good friend... you are spot on per usual!

Ye Ole!  Just saying hello and hoping you and yours are well, my friend.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

19 points in 5 quarters against Houstons defense.... the same defense that gave up 50 plus the next week. 

I'll be skeptical about the offense until I see it on the field. Just not a fan of Daboll.

You can blame some of that on the coaching.    We seen it a lot in games where we got up last year and games that were close, they played safe at times. How many times did we move up the field and then they trot old man Gore on the field in the red zone and end up taking FGs. As the season went on Gore was by far the weakest link in this offence but got put on the field (and handed the ball) at critical times every Sunday. 

Despite having almost a whole new group on O we still didn’t have a complete offense.  I think Diggs and Moss will make a big difference. Singletary and Knox heading into their second seasons will help as well. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:33 PM, GreggTX said:

Unfortunately, he is 100% correct about fixing inaccuracy. The only way Josh Allen scares defenders is by pulling the ball down and running with it. We need someone whose natural arm accuracy forces defenses to adjust. No need to keep the safeties back if the QB misses everything over 20 yards by a wide margin. He also has the worst short range accuracy. 

Joe Ferguson could take this team deep into the playoffs. Let's see what Allen can do in year 3.

Since you mentioned Fergy...

Ferguson only completed 49.5% of his passes during his first five years with the Bills (1973-1977).  During the rest of his career in Buffalo, he completed 53.9% of his passes.  His other passing stats got better as well.  

As I mentioned before, some QBs get better with experience.  Allen got better from Year 1 to Year 2 and it's not unreasonable to predict he'll continue to get better in Year 3.

The part of accuracy that's really hard to fix is throwing-a-ball-through-a-tire accuracy.  This might be better termed "precision."  While reps and mechanics can help, it's mostly a DNA-driven, God-given talent.

But in football, we mostly measure accuracy by completion percentage and QBs can improve their completion percentage a number of different ways.  Maybe the most common is just getting better at finding the open receiver so you don't have to thread a needle.  Good play calling by an OC who understands the QB's strengths and weaknesses helps too.  As does better pass protection.  And fielding receivers who can both create separation and catch.  

If a combination of improvements gets Josh to a 65% completion rating and a 90+ passer rating, does it really matter that once-in-a-while he overthrows a receiver because his precision with the ball isn't as consistent as Brady's or Brees'?  

On 6/26/2020 at 9:14 AM, Nester said:

The biggest question Mark on the team is QB.

if he plays at the same level as last year, we will stay mediocre. If he can take a step forward this team can do great things. All the pieces are in place. 

This team makes it or breaks it all based on Joshs growth. 

I think the team actually takes a step forward if Allen stays the same.  I think the offense got better around Allen,  and I think the defense improved slightly as well.  Naturally, I do hope Allen makes a leap forward, and to be a true contender in the playoffs, he does need to take that next step.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:40 PM, SoTier said:

Jackson was the last pick in the first round, not in the draft.  

I've never heard anybody claim that the Bills were stupid to take Jim Kelly while Dan Marino was still on the board.  However, if Kelly had busted (like Todd Blackledge who was taken ahead of him) or even been good but not great like Ken O'Brien, I think that the Bills would have been mocked for their pick and that Kelly would have always been unfavorably compared to Marino.

The Bills are under even more scrutiny for drafting Allen because they passed twice on QBs who have had immediate success in the NFL for a lesser product.  Trading away the pick that KC used to take Mahomes in 2017 and then using a fortune in talent and draft capital to move up to take Allen in 2018 when Jackson would have been available at the Bills original draft spot will haunt the Bills for the foresseable future unless Allen develops into a franchise QB who has a HOF worthy career.  I think anything less, especially if he fails to become a top tier QB, will always be part of the narrative of the Bills of the next decade and of Allen's career.  Very unfairly because he had no say in what team picked him, it will also be part of the narrative of Josh Allen's NFL career, too.

I meant to say last pick of the 1st round but thanks for the correction.  My point though was that if Jackson was so good then why did other teams pass then too.  I really don't care cause I personally don't think he is that great of a passer but that is  my opinion. 

his podcast is nothing but him screaming and swearing trying to pretend he's a millennial. Rather sad

The same clown who claimed Doug Pedersen was the least qualified coach in the NFL?

Posted (edited)

Josh showed marginal improvement in his 2nd season, but not as much as many imagine. He'll need to show that improvement 4 times over if he's ever going to win a SB.. Is that even possible?

Edited by GreggTX

A 5% improvement is not marginal.  Another 5% and he is right in the middle of the pack of starting QB’s.  He has two very important weapons in Diggs and Moss.  My guess is he’ll be at 65%, so no not Brees, but who is Brees?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Josh showed marginal improvement in his 2nd season, but not as much as many imagine. He'll need to show that improvement 4 times over if he's ever going to win a SB.. Is that even possible?

He got better in literally every single statistical category by a significant margin.

If he improved even 2 times over again he’d be a 70% passer with 40 passing TDs, 15 rushing TDs, and 6,600 yards passing—basically the best season ever produced by an NFL player by a huge margin.

But hey, hyperbole is fun!

EDIT: Just for laughs, a 4x over improvement would see Allen pass for over 8,000 yards, 60 TDs, and complete 82% of his passes. For the record that would be good enough for me 🤣

Edited by thebandit27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:19 AM, BananaB said:

You can blame some of that on the coaching.    We seen it a lot in games where we got up last year and games that were close, they played safe at times. How many times did we move up the field and then they trot old man Gore on the field in the red zone and end up taking FGs. As the season went on Gore was by far the weakest link in this offence but got put on the field (and handed the ball) at critical times every Sunday. 

Despite having almost a whole new group on O we still didn’t have a complete offense.  I think Diggs and Moss will make a big difference. Singletary and Knox heading into their second seasons will help as well. 

Don't disagree. I hated the conservative playcalling and have said as much. 

There was nothing conservative offensively about the Houston game though. 

Who cares?

1, that guys an idiot. 

2, we all know the national guys don’t really watch the Bills. Josh can look like no great shakes if you don’t watch the game. If you just look at stats, I get it. There’s more to Josh’s game than stats. That’s why we have a positive feeling about the guy. We know because we watch. 

• Like (+1) 1