Dreamers Saved! DACA Upheld!

1 hour ago, RealKayAdams said:

My thoughts are that I have been consistent on this one since way before the pandemic (and I demand credit for my consistency!). Open borders policies and welfare states don’t go well together. Neither do globalization policies and employment/living wage conditions for the working class.

Illegal immigrants should be treated with only the utmost humanity. Temporary worker visas should come with reasonable perks. Paths to citizenship could be made easier. But when it comes to this thorny issue of illegal immigration, it would perhaps be more appropriate for private charity to assume a focal role.

I think those that think both are a good idea are in the minority. The thing that concerns me most about this is some of them are/were running for President. What that leads me to is do they really think that’s a good idea (and if so we must question their decision making process) or are they pandering.  Sure politicians pander and that’s why I’ve always disliked politicians but that’s horribly obvious pandering. 

I agree in the visa issue. It drives me crazy when people say “If we close the borders who’s going to pick the grapes!!!!????”  Well there is a process for that in place you numbskull.  My question to you what reasonable perks are you talking about?  Thanks. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I think those that think both are a good idea are in the minority. The thing that concerns me most about this is some of them are/were running for President. What that leads me to is do they really think that’s a good idea (and if so we must question their decision making process) or are they pandering.  Sure politicians pander and that’s why I’ve always disliked politicians but that’s horribly obvious pandering. 

I agree in the visa issue. It drives me crazy when people say “If we close the borders who’s going to pick the grapes!!!!????”  Well there is a process for that in place you numbskull.  My question to you what reasonable perks are you talking about?  Thanks. 

Oh by perks I mostly meant health care coverage while working in the US. Maybe certain benefits for housing and education, too. Just stuff to help them navigate their temporary lives in our country without major hardship.

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Whoever said they were? 

You're the one who claimed to be "shocked" that the SCOTUS rendered a decision against the proposed Trump policy before the election and implied that they were somehow helping the Democrats by doing so ... as if the SCOTUS was supposed to help Trump get re-elected.

4 minutes ago, SoTier said:

You're the one who claimed to be "shocked" that the SCOTUS rendered a decision against the proposed Trump policy before the election and implied that they were somehow helping the Democrats by doing so ... as if the SCOTUS was supposed to help Trump get re-elected.

I think you misread what I wrote. I am shocked the Trump administration is trying again before the election.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

My thoughts are that I have been consistent on this one since way before the pandemic (and I demand credit for my consistency!). Open borders policies and welfare states don’t go well together. Neither do globalization policies and employment/living wage conditions for the working class.

Illegal immigrants should be treated with only the utmost humanity. Temporary worker visas should come with reasonable perks. Paths to citizenship could be made easier. But when it comes to this thorny issue of illegal immigration, it would perhaps be more appropriate for private charity to assume a focal role.

Not only that, but we can see that along with shipping manufacturing jobs overseas, illegal immigration is one of the problems that has kept real wages artificially low for the last few decades. And BOTH parties have played a roll in allowing that.

Also agree that we need to review legal immigration and make that easier for some.

Edited by Cinga
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RealKayAdams said:

Oh by perks I mostly meant health care coverage while working in the US. Maybe certain benefits for housing and education, too. Just stuff to help them navigate their temporary lives in our country without major hardship.

I disagree. Those should be offered by the person who is sponsoring their visa.  It shouldn't be mandatory either.  The sponsor should also help them navigate the process to becoming a citizen.   

1 hour ago, RealKayAdams said:

Yes I agree with this. Under our current economic system, whoever is sponsoring the visa should be completely responsible for health care, any other optional benefits, and the assistance with the citizenship process.

I was working with a British guy in a restaurant in the mid 80’s. He was so pissed because of all the hoops he was jumping through and money he was spending to go through the process when all the other Hispanic workers were here illegally.  I don’t know if he ever became a citizen. 

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I was working with a British guy in a restaurant in the mid 80’s. He was so pissed because of all the hoops he was jumping through and money he was spending to go through the process when all the other Hispanic workers were here illegally.  I don’t know if he ever became a citizen. 

That' pretty much what I meant about fixing our Immigration system. When it cost in the thousands, and can take years for people to come here legally, we are actually encouraging people to come illegally instead. Especially if we turn a blind eye towards them.

Fixing the legal system wouldn't be an end all, but it would surely at leas help to get illegal immigration under control

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...