Minnesota Police disbanded

What was done in Camden NJ seems to have worked.  But to call it "defunding" is asinine.  

"Restructure, retrain, reassign dollars" is what happened.  Dump the expensive Unions.  Restructure the out of control pensions of all Municipal Employees and reassign those dollars to put more (properly/better trained) cops on the street, to create programs to reduce crime.  I think we'd all be in favor of that.  It's all marketing and "Defunding the Police" is a ***** marketing nightmare.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Snap judgement??  What do you think when someone says "defund"?

remove funding. Can you know with complete certainty how that would be implemented or what cut? NO. hence the snap judgment it means whatever you think it means

Edited by Margarita

Just now, Margarita said:

it should but will it? 

History has a longer view than we do. It will matter, just not in the moment. 

1 minute ago, Margarita said:

I doubt it the buttons have already been pushed. 

I agree the buttons have already been pushed. But, if we learn that it was pushed under false pretenses (by people who don't really give a flip about the cause), then shouldn't that cause you to stop and reconsider what you think you know about the event itself? Or, at the very least, cause you to pause and consider the next time they try to "push the buttons"? 

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

Do I think these discussions will have be beneficial in the long run? I really hope so or this destruction and mayhem will have all been in vain.

The optimist in me is hopeful like you are. 

But the reality, sadly, is the discussions aren't meant to be beneficial in the long run. They're meant to further the divide, further the push to tear down our society from the inside out. That's why there's a divide within the movement itself over the meaning of words (defund doesn't really mean defund to one group, but it means exactly that to another group -- both of whom claim to be on the same side). You can't solve racism with more racism. You can't get a positive from a negative, it just does not work. 

The language of this moment by its leadership is steeped in identity politics and old school Marxism (but I repeat myself) -- which gives the true game away.  

Ask yourself this. How much of a protest against the system can these past few weeks actually be when they've been fully supported by almost everyone in government, every major power center in our society including: media, corporate, and technology? Is it really brave or revolutionary when it's fully supported by the established powers in the society the protesters are railing against?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Margarita said:

remove funding. Can you know with complete certainty how that would be implemented or what cut? NO. hence the snap judgment it means whatever you think it means

What defunding literally means it to remove funding right?  That's what you said.  So what that means is.....

NO FUNDING = NO POLICE

Correct?

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What was done in Camden NJ seems to have worked.  But to call it "defunding" is asinine.  

"Restructure, retrain, reassign dollars" is what happened.  Dump the expensive Unions.  Restructure the out of control pensions of all Municipal Employees and reassign those dollars to put more cops on the street, to create programs to reduce crime.  I think we'd all be in favor of that.  It's all marketing and "Defunding the Police" is a ***** marketing nightmare.  

agreed. if you dont bother to look at the ramifications or what it has meant in other situations and only believe an anacronym means what you THINK it may mean. I think the devil is in the details to use an expression. 

another one I had last night was don't throw out the baby with the bathwater......meaning getting rid of all police is a ludricous idea just my opinion.....

2 minutes ago, Margarita said:

You're a disingenuous piece of *****.

Words have meanings.  Words have consequences.

Everything that's happening now is acceptable because it doesn't matter what the real truth was in the initial incident or the truth about what large portions of people are suggesting happen next.

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

What defunding literally means it to remove funding right?  That's what you said.  So what that means is.....

NO FUNDING = NO POLICE

Correct?

NOPE

agreed. if you dont bother to look at the ramifications or what it has meant in other situations and only believe an anacronym means what you THINK it may mean. I think the devil is in the details to use an expression. 

another one I had last night was don't throw out the baby with the bathwater......meaning getting rid of all police is a ludricous idea just my opinion.....

Ummmm acronym is the word I think you're looking for here.  Learn the language before you change the meaning of words. 

What does DEFUND stand for then?

NOPE

How does the police department operate if they have no funding?

1 hour ago, Margarita said:

SMH mind reading and declaring a persons sole intent off of a 2-3 word slogan now thats fooking briliant too. Maybe just MAYBE its a jumping off for discussion and positive changes?

People rioting, looting, and chanting in the streets are rarely attempting to provide a "jumping off" point for discussion. :lol:

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Joe Miner said:

You're a disingenuous piece of *****.

Words have meanings.  Words have consequences.

Everything that's happening now is acceptable because it doesn't matter what the real truth was in the initial incident or the truth about what large portions of people are suggesting happen next.

thanks for the input. Joe. Everythuing is right as rain with racial issues in America GOTCHA. And Im the disingenuous one. 

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Ummmm acronym is the word I think you're looking for here.  Learn the language before you change the meaning of words. 

acronym okay thts what I meant defund as in allocate funds differently. Im no sole sourse of all knowledge like soime oh wise ones in here like Joe Miner..ask HIM lol

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Democrats

Excited

From

U.S.

National

Divide

2 minutes ago, Azalin said:

People rioting, looting, and chanting in the streets are rarely attempting to provide a "jumping off" point for discussion. :lol:

And these are definitely the people I want to follow when it comes to restructuring of the police department. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

straw tiger argument. thats using your definition of defund. Who said it meant divest of all funding for all police period...? YOU....

6 minutes ago, Margarita said:

acronym okay thts what I meant defund as in allocate funds differently. Im no sole sourse of all knowledge like soime oh wise ones in here like Joe Miner..ask HIM lol

Methinks you don't know what an acronym is.  

straw tiger argument. thats using your definition of defund. Who said it meant divest of all funding for all police period...? YOU....

No that's using EVERYONE IN THE ***** WORLD'S definition of defund up until last week.  Good lord. 

And a straw tiger?  Or did you mean a paper man. You're the last person to be arguing semantics. 

Edited by Chef Jim

5 minutes ago, Azalin said:

oh but i disagree it certainly has here.

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Methinks you don't know what an acronym is.  

No that's using EVERYONE IN THE ***** WORLD'S definition of defund up until last week.  Good lord. 

says who ..oh never mind. You the font of all knowledge wisdom and understanding.......and Joe Miner LOL

SMH 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Okay, the topic aside and the conversation aside, that's a FANTASTIC to the TBDism list :lol: :beer:  

oh geez that danged brain of mine straw MAN paper tiger geesh crucify me already

Edited by Margarita
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Margarita said:

says who ..oh never mind. You the font of all knowledge wisdom and understanding.......and Joe Miner LOL

SMH 

No seriously you're argument is based solely on changing the meaning of a word.  In what world is that an acceptable argument??