Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JerseyBills

Drew Brees getting backfire from fellow athletes over flag and kneeling remarks

Recommended Posts

Interesting, even his teammate Mike Thomas took a shot at him.. I personally agree with Brees regarding the flag . I also hate that athletes are held to a higher standard on social justice issues. They play ball for a living , and their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Meh 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JerseyBills said:

Interesting, even his teammate Mike Thomas took a shot at him.. I personally agree with Brees regarding the flag . I also hate that athletes are held to a higher standard on social justice issues. They play ball for a living , and their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html


I disagree that their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine.

MILLIONS of people are likely to hear Brees' opinion. Not so much yours. And whether he likes it or not, many young people look up to him as an example. The opinions of athletes -- and all famous public figures, really -- carry more weight than yours or mine. 

And I disagree with Brees. For anyone to still think kneeling wasn't justified or is just about "disrespecting the flag", well...If the events of the past week haven't opened up your eyes to the importance and necessity of Kaepernick's protest, I suggest that nothing ever will.

  • Like (+1) 21
  • Skeptical 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t have a problem with anything he said.  He didn’t criticize anyone for kneeling, rather he described what standing for the national anthem means to him.  He’s going to get lamb basted for this, but undeservedly, IMO.

  • Like (+1) 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting, even his teammate Mike Thomas took a shot at him.. I personally agree with Brees regarding the flag . I also hate that athletes are held to a higher standard on social justice issues. They play ball for a living , and their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/drew-brees-addresses-nfl-players-kneeling-in-2020-i-will-never-agree-with-anybody-disrespecting-the-flag-164423496.html


 

I don’t understand how kneeling has been a sign of respect for all of history until a veteran told an African American to do it instead of sitting. Then people get mad at the African American for taking the veterans advice saying he’s disrespecting veterans and the flag. Then people try to say it’s respectful to kneel in front of cross but disrespectful to kneel for flag. Like pick one. Is it disrespectful or not? It can’t be both 

 

the stupidity of people that get mad at someone for kneeling is astounding. 
 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:


 

I don’t understand how kneeling has been a sign of respect for all of history until a veteran told an African American to do it instead of sitting. Then people get mad at the African American for taking the veterans advice saying he’s disrespecting veterans and the flag. Then people try to say it’s respectful to kneel in front of cross but disrespectful to kneel for flag. Like pick one. Is it disrespectful or not? It can’t be both 

 

the stupidity of people that get mad at someone for kneeling is astounding. 
 

It is all opinion...just like how all lives matter is racist?!?! According to whom?

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 3
  • Skeptical 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Logic said:


I disagree that their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine.

MILLIONS of people are likely to hear Brees' opinion. Not so much yours. And whether he likes it or not, many young people look up to him as an example. The opinions of athletes -- and all famous public figures, really -- carry more weight than yours or mine. 

And I disagree with Brees. For anyone to still think kneeling wasn't justified or is just about "disrespecting the flag", well...If the events of the past week haven't opened up your eyes to the importance and necessity of Kaepernick's protest, I suggest that nothing ever will.

To many men and women of all races have died for our freedoms. We have too many men and women still on foreign soil to this day keeping us safe. Find another way to make your voice heard than to disrespect what they died for and what those Stars and Stripes represent. I am right there with anyone else who wants to bring change and shine a light on racism and inequality but I absolutely disagree with kneeling for the national anthem and the presentation of our stars and strips. Let me ask you this what else has Colin done to bring awareness to his cause other than kneeling ? Nothing he does nothing on his own time he doesn’t organize anything he hasn’t made his way to Washington to speak to our leaders on either side of the isle to demand change. All he has done was kneel for the national anthem. His opinion about the flag and the national anthem may be viewed as right to some but to others like me it is criticized. And so is Brees opinion I agree with him and others may disagree and that’s fine it doesn’t mean either man has to change their opinion but they have to live with the consequences of their choices. But do you know why they are free to voice that opinion...? Because of the thousands of men and women who died to give them that freedom and ensure their life and liberty to do so. Find another way to make your point than on the lives of others. 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Confused 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, DB_Jelly said:

To many men and women of all races have died for our freedoms. We have too many men and women still on foreign soil to this day keeping us safe. Find another way to make your voice heard than to disrespect what they died for and what those Stars and Stripes represent. I am right there with anyone else who wants to bring change and shine a light on racism and inequality but I absolutely disagree with kneeling for the national anthem and the presentation of our stars and strips. Let me ask you this what else has Colin done to bring awareness to his cause other than kneeling ? Nothing he does nothing on his own time he doesn’t organize anything he hasn’t made his way to Washington to speak to our leaders on either side of the isle to demand change. All he has done was kneel for the national anthem. His opinion about the flag and the national anthem may be viewed as right to some but to others like me it is criticized. And so is Brees opinion I agree with him and others may disagree and that’s fine it doesn’t mean either man has to change their opinion but they have to live with the consequences of their choices. But do you know why they are free to voice that opinion...? Because of the thousands of men and women who died to give them that freedom and ensure their life and liberty to do so. Find another way to make your point than on the lives of others. 

How is it disrespect? Why would a veteran tell him to do it if it was? He was sitting until a VETERAN told him to kneel to show respect. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:


 

I don’t understand how kneeling has been a sign of respect for all of history until a veteran told an African American to do it instead of sitting. Then people get mad at the African American for taking the veterans advice saying he’s disrespecting veterans and the flag. Then people try to say it’s respectful to kneel in front of cross but disrespectful to kneel for flag. Like pick one. Is it disrespectful or not? It can’t be both 

 

the stupidity of people that get mad at someone for kneeling is astounding. 
 

White America is perfectly fine with black Americans protesting the murder of their community members by police as long as they do it where nobody can see them. Meanwhile, white Americans storm the capital with machine guns because Big Biscuit is closed. 

  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DB_Jelly said:

To many men and women of all races have died for our freedoms. We have too many men and women still on foreign soil to this day keeping us safe. Find another way to make your voice heard than to disrespect what they died for and what those Stars and Stripes represent. I am right there with anyone else who wants to bring change and shine a light on racism and inequality but I absolutely disagree with kneeling for the national anthem and the presentation of our stars and strips. Let me ask you this what else has Colin done to bring awareness to his cause other than kneeling ? Nothing he does nothing on his own time he doesn’t organize anything he hasn’t made his way to Washington to speak to our leaders on either side of the isle to demand change. All he has done was kneel for the national anthem. His opinion about the flag and the national anthem may be viewed as right to some but to others like me it is criticized. And so is Brees opinion I agree with him and others may disagree and that’s fine it doesn’t mean either man has to change their opinion but they have to live with the consequences of their choices. But do you know why they are free to voice that opinion...? Because of the thousands of men and women who died to give them that freedom and ensure their life and liberty to do so. Find another way to make your point than on the lives of others. 


Please explain how kneeling silently during the anthem disrespects the troops.

Please also suggest a different way to "make their voice heard" that you think would be effective and "acceptable".

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kneeling during the anthem sure doesn't look so bad now.

 

Back then, the big fuss was that they couldn't protest more "politely," and not inconvenience our enjoyment of sporting events....couldn't they just find a quieter, less obtrusive way of protesting?

 

Now, people seem to be ready to take any "peaceful" protest they can get.

 

Next time....don't want to think about it if we don't start talking about the underlying issues, instead of making this stuff about "the flag." 

 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

It is all opinion...just like how all lives matter is racist?!?! According to whom?

So if you’re speaking at a funeral for your child talking about how special she was, and I run in front of you and start yelling about how ALL children are special and not just yours, is that cool?

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Logic said:


I disagree that their opinions hold as much weight as yours or mine.

MILLIONS of people are likely to hear Brees' opinion. Not so much yours. And whether he likes it or not, many young people look up to him as an example. The opinions of athletes -- and all famous public figures, really -- carry more weight than yours or mine. 

And I disagree with Brees. For anyone to still think kneeling wasn't justified or is just about "disrespecting the flag", well...If the events of the past week haven't opened up your eyes to the importance and necessity of Kaepernick's protest, I suggest that nothing ever will.

This need to be moved to PPP. 

 

Yeah, Kaepernicks "message" was 100% selfish, as he began his "crusade" after he was benched. People who are on his side need to be put into a pit of snakes and left to exposure. If you cannot see that they are a stain on society, then its best we use the pit of snakes.

  • Meh 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no evidence the officer or anyone involved did this on racial grounds. He should be charged, but give him due process if you truly love the country.

 

The rioters and race baiters who say otherwise need to understand the nation was justifiably against the officer for what he did, I know I am. What's being asked for is a lynching, and worse destroying neighborhoods, hurting and killing people to get their way.

 

These people didn't build this country but they know how to destroy it.

 

But to punish a country and hold it's athletes and coaches hostage is ignorant and domineering. This isn't equality, this is a demand for dominance.

 

If this country is so racist why live here?

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 4
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

It is all opinion...just like how all lives matter is racist?!?! According to whom?


Saying "All Lives Matter" isn't necessarily racist, it's just ignorant.

It would be like if a house was on fire, and when the fire department got there, you tried to direct them to spray water on every house on the block, because all houses matter. The point is that there is one specific house that is on fire, and that's the one we're trying to get help for. 

By the way, saying "black lives matter" is not saying "black lives matter MORE".

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

This need to be moved to PPP. 

 

Yeah, Kaepernicks "message" was 100% selfish, as he began his "crusade" after he was benched. People who are on his side need to be put into a pit of snakes and left to exposure. If you cannot see that they are a stain on society, then its best we use the pit of snakes.


Cool. Glad you're able to have a mature, adult discussion about this issue.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Billl said:

White America is perfectly fine with black Americans protesting the murder of their community members by police as long as they do it where nobody can see them. Meanwhile, white Americans storm the capital with machine guns because Big Biscuit is closed. 

 

When you see white America rioting, burning down neighborhoods, and beating and killing innocent people in the street to get their way and never charged for it I'll agree with you.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

There is no evidence the officer or anyone involved did this on racial grounds. He should be charged, but give him due process if you truly love the country.

 

The rioters and race baiters who say otherwise need to understand the nation was justifiably against the officer for what he did, I know I am. What's being asked for is a lynching, and worse destroying neighborhoods, hurting and killing people to get their way.

 

These people didn't build this country but they know how to destroy it.

 

But to punish a country and hold it's athletes and coaches hostage is ignorant and domineering. This isn't equality, this is a demand for dominance.

 

If this country is so racist why live here?


Just curious who you mean when you say "these people".

Also, the fact that you choose to use the term "lynching" to describe wanting to hold a cop accountable for killing an innocent black man is, to be frank, insensitive and ignorant, not to mention tone deaf.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

There is no evidence the officer or anyone involved did this on racial grounds. He should be charged, but give him due process if you truly love the country.

 

The rioters and race baiters who say otherwise need to understand the nation was justifiably against the officer for what he did, I know I am. What's being asked for is a lynching, and worse destroying neighborhoods, hurting and killing people to get their way.

 

These people didn't build this country but they know how to destroy it.

 

But to punish a country and hold it's athletes and coaches hostage is ignorant and domineering. This isn't equality, this is a demand for dominance.

 

If this country is so racist why live here?

Nobody is advocating rioting here.  We’re talking about a peaceful, silent protest.  That’s still too much to ask, though.  The only form of protest white America accepts from blacks is shutting their f——ing mouths.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Skeptical 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigBillsFan said:

 

When you see white America rioting, burning down neighborhoods, and beating and killing innocent people in the street to get their way and never charged for it I'll agree with you.


That's.....that's literally what all of this is about.

I mean...wow.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

There is no evidence the officer or anyone involved did this on racial grounds. He should be charged, but give him due process if you truly love the country.

 

The rioters and race baiters who say otherwise need to understand the nation was justifiably against the officer for what he did, I know I am. What's being asked for is a lynching, and worse destroying neighborhoods, hurting and killing people to get their way.

 

These people didn't build this country but they know how to destroy it.

 

But to punish a country and hold it's athletes and coaches hostage is ignorant and domineering. This isn't equality, this is a demand for dominance.

 

If this country is so racist why live here?

They were kinda forced here but let’s just ignore those 400 years

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigBillsFan said:

 

When you see white America rioting, burning down neighborhoods, and beating and killing innocent people in the street to get their way and never charged for it I'll agree with you.

4 people were arrested for the Charlottesville (white supremacist) riots.  https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/white-supremacists-arrested-on-charlottesville-riot-charges
 

10,000 protesters have been arrested in the last week.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...