The Republican National Convention, With or Without Masks?

This is a big story, though crowded out by other events. Trump wants a guarantee by this week on whether NC will allow a totally open convention or he is pulling it out to another state. 

I can think of nothing better than Florida holding the event with thousands packed in for the world to see who takes the pandemic seriously and who totally does not. 

Hours after North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper called on the Republican National Committee to outline how the party plans to conduct a safe national convention, the RNC sent a list of health and safety protocols for approval on Thursday. The memo, addressed to the Democratic governor, came with a hard deadline of June 3. 

"Time is of the essence," reads the letter signed by RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel and 2020 Convention CEO Marcia Lee Kelly. According to the memo, delegates, alternates, elected officials, guests and the media would be required to pass a "health scan" before entering the Spectrum Arena in Charlotte, where the convention is expected to take place between August 24-27. Party leaders vowed to implement thermal scans, pre-travel health surveys and daily health care questionnaires delivered via an app. 

The letter makes no mention of wearing face masks, which is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control to help reduce the spread of the coronavirus, and which is a measure that the president does not follow.

The RNC also promised "anti-bacterial gel will be widely available" in the arena and an "aggressive sanitizing protocol" will be in place for all public areas. Once attendees pass through these areas, GOP officials plan to transport them by bus to the convention center, which "will act as a mandatory hub for a final health care screening by health care officials."

Earlier this month, the RNC hired physician Dr. Jeffrey Runge as a senior adviser for convention planning to ensure that the in-person convention in August is safe for the thousands who are expected to attend. 

The GOP memo marks the most recent development in an ongoing saga that began with a series of tweets from the president earlier this week. Mr. Trump threatened to move the convention from North Carolina if Cooper did not lift restrictions imposed in response to the coronavirus pandemic, to allow for "full attendance." 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republican-party-convention-north-carolina-proposal/

39 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is a big story, though crowded out by other events. Trump wants a guarantee by this week on whether NC will allow a totally open convention or he is pulling it out to another state. 

I can think of nothing better than Florida holding the event with thousands packed in for the world to see who takes the pandemic seriously and who totally does not. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/republican-party-convention-north-carolina-proposal/

Attendance is optional, so masks for attendees should be as well. Just my opinion, and others will differ. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Attendance is optional, so masks for attendees should be as well. Just my opinion, and others will differ. 

Spacing, 1/4 capacity? 

Will be quit the spectacle if they move it and have a full open convention and the virus spreads from there

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Spacing, 1/4 capacity? 

Will be quit the spectacle if they move it and have a full open convention and the virus spreads from there

…...where are your seats?....just curious...………..

• Haha (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So you're taljing about shoving all the people who doesn't believe in social distancing and mask usage into a contained space? Where their attendance is entirely voluntary and fully aware of the risks?

Talk about a self solving problem

It's a very very low risk proposition for healthy people that are willing to attend. 

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

So you're taljing about shoving all the people who doesn't believe in social distancing and mask usage into a contained space? Where their attendance is entirely voluntary and fully aware of the risks?

Most seem to agree on some sort of distancing. Mask usage is another thing, but there would likely be some wearing masks and some not. It’s a free country ( for now anyway, lib Governors aside) and that’s fine. 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Very high risk for them spreading the virus after. HELLO! 

Maybe, maybe not. Distance, wash your hands a lot and even your face. As long as they don’t get too close to Grandma or sneeze on her coffee cup it will be fine. 

45 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Rooting for mass death. 

The sign of a person who holds the moral high ground. 

• Like (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Wait, you still believe this "pandemic" is worse than its "cure?"

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Rooting for mass death. 

The sign of a person who holds the moral high ground. 

Mass death? But weren't you going on about how this was a hoax a few months ago? ? And I said nothing about how the problem is solved. Maybe they get the sniffles and decide they want socialized healthcare.

You can't get it both ways: it can't be a hoax perpetuated by the libs AND be a sneaky plot to kill red pulled very smart brains like yourself.

Maybe I should take a lead out of DJT s book and say I was "being sarcastic" and then shine some UV light inside my body.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Mass death? 

You wrote what you wrote. Be a man, don't run from it now. You want to see a mass of people die because they don't share your political views. You said it outright. 

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

But weren't you going on about how this was a hoax a few months ago? ? 

I did not, in fact. But nice try, asshat. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Wait, you still believe this "pandemic" is worse than its "cure?"

Everyone *I* know is working or making more money than before.

So, is slight inconvenience worse than a disease with extreme long term complications and a high transmission rate? Yes.

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You wrote what you wrote. Be a man, don't run from it now. You want to see a mass of people die because they don't share your political views. You said it outright. 

I did not, in fact. But nice try, asshat. 

No, but I see a certain karma in people actively fighting the measures to keep them healthy, screaming about how Trump's own doctors and scientists are shills would all jointly collect to share these beliefs and would suffer consequences for their actions.

Isn't that what conservatives go on about? My body, my choice? Personal responsibility?

You don't get to have your little temper tantrums and then try to make me feel bad about the inevitable results.

It's ok, I know the Alt Right playbook. The "so much for the tolerant left schtick" might work on MSNBC hosts, but we're getting wise to it

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1